The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Rub rub rub

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 04/11/2010 : 22:17:46
Sorry if this is answered somewhere else on the forum but after playing with the search function it's kind of hard to find the correct thread with the word "rub" since its used in almost every thread.

Little worried about my rub for Diablo, it's a bit big for him I know but he has a nice hide to help him feel a bit better and he's always out and about in it climbing over things so im hoping the size isn't a problem.

I am using a basic plastic box kind of like a lunchbox, made holes for the heatmat sensor and air holes of course, using white paper towel as substrate, and got a small water bowl for him to drink from.

I was a little worried about humidity in there, the top of the lid is always damp when I take it off and there are tiny drops of water on the side of the rub where his water bowl is, the hot end is dry as a bone though.

I don't have a device for checking the humidity so is there any tips you guys can give me to know if it's okay until I get the humidity testery thingy I can't remember the name of.

19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anatess Posted - 16/11/2010 : 09:15:34
I have a feeling you can take that hygrometer out of the RUB and it will still say 61%...

It might be that your room itself is that high...
Kelfezond Posted - 12/11/2010 : 21:18:25
Okay for some reason the humidity has gone down which is good, averaging about 61% now, spoke to the chaps in the reptile store while I was buying mice the other day too they said if there is no visible sign of moisture on the rub not to worry too much as i'm using a small water bowl and newspaper substrate
Kelfezond Posted - 09/11/2010 : 22:17:40
Moved the sensor, no real change in humidity.
Blackecho Posted - 09/11/2010 : 07:21:48
Try putting the sensor on the substrate at the hot end.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/11/2010 : 23:25:11
Added a ton more holes today, down to about 70-73% but still quite high
Kelfezond Posted - 07/11/2010 : 17:40:33
Any more tips or just keep adding holes?
Kelfezond Posted - 06/11/2010 : 19:10:08
Down to 71% now, water bowl is only small, about half the size of a CD. The sensor is in the centre of the rub on the lid.

Water bowl is in the closest left corner and heat mat is under the bottom right side.
Blackecho Posted - 06/11/2010 : 19:06:53
Where's your water bowl and how big is it?

Also, at 88% you should be seeing a lot of condensation, if not, your hygrometer may be faulty. Is it digital and if so, where is the probe?
Kelfezond Posted - 06/11/2010 : 18:24:12
Humidity is currently at 88%, this is way too high apparently. I put a load more holes in today as well, any advice?
anatess Posted - 05/11/2010 : 17:41:55
Here in Florida, the air is too dry especially in January. The RUBs come with this square thing on each corner that is bubbled out. I punch those bubbles with a drill (there are 4 of those squares with about 25 bubbles each on a 64L RUB) and that's all the air holes I have. If I put holes on the lid, it makes the humidity drop too much.

So, it depends on what kind of humidity your house got already. If it's high, then you need a lot of holes...
Kelfezond Posted - 05/11/2010 : 12:28:09
Thanks, just bought that one :)
boze Posted - 05/11/2010 : 11:26:07
That one looks fine, personally though I use this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exo-Terra-Digital-Hygrometer-/320612259161?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item4aa5fad559#ht_500wt_949

I like having a probe so I dont have to put the whole unit in.

D
Kelfezond Posted - 05/11/2010 : 10:29:42
Also

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Digital-LCD-Car-outdoor-Thermometer-Hygrometer-New-/290494152334?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item43a2ccfe8e#ht_2219wt_1139

Is that a suitable hygrometer? If not can somebody link one from ebay.co.uk? Price isn't a problem
Kelfezond Posted - 05/11/2010 : 10:27:01
Ah I have nowhere near that many holes, was worried about it getting too cold, think I have 38 holes, some on side and some on lid.
Blackecho Posted - 05/11/2010 : 10:18:27
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=2549#32194
fiestastlou Posted - 05/11/2010 : 09:45:54
i had this problem with my rub and it was down to there not being enuff holes, followed BEs advise on putting more holes in the RUB and problem solved :D
Blackecho Posted - 05/11/2010 : 06:40:08
How many holes have you got, I've got around 120 4mm holes in the lid of one of my 12l RUBs
anatess Posted - 05/11/2010 : 02:39:50
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

It's called a hygrometer.

The #1 culprit for condensation on the lid in a plastic box is the temp difference between the room and the inside of the rub. But, usually, we can't change this especially when it's getting on winter.

The #2 culprit for condensation is too high humidity caused by spilled water on the paper towel.

After you checked both and you are still getting too high humidity, then you can add more air holes to let the water vapors go out. Put a few holes on the lid even. If later on in the season the air gets too dry, you can always cover up the holes with duct tape or some such.

P.S. I'm no scientist. This is just observation from my own RUB.
anatess Posted - 05/11/2010 : 02:38:39
It's called a hygrometer.

The #1 culprit for condensation on the lid in a plastic box is the temp difference between the room and the inside of the rub. But, usually, we can't change this especially when it's getting on winter.

The #2 culprit for condensation is too high humidity caused by spilled water on the paper towel.

After you checked both and you are still getting too high humidity, then you can add more air holes to let the water vapors go out. Put a few holes on the lid even. If later on in the season the air gets too dry, you can always cover up the holes with duct tape or some such.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000