The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 hey

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stotty01 Posted - 21/11/2010 : 19:25:16
hey guys

i have had a corn snake for 8-9 months now and i volunteer in a rep shop and i thought its about time for a upgrade in my snake world

i have researched everything i need to know about royals on the care sheet (has been very usefull) and have talked to people in shop who have royals and of course my boss LOL! but i just wanted to double/triple/quadrupole check with a few questions

ive heard that its good to get them switched to rats asap. so when it comes to first feed shall i offer a rat pup? if does not take shall i scent with a mouse?

sorry if these sound stupid questions coming from someone who works in a rep shop
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stotty01 Posted - 03/12/2010 : 22:27:53
tryed at rat pup defrosted mouse over the top of it as i need it for my corn. heated it up with hairdryer didnt take :( put mouse blood on it nope :( left in viv nope :( gonna try a medium-large mouse tomorow :)
n/a Posted - 25/11/2010 : 21:39:39
quote:
Originally posted by matty87

im so glad you asked this question stotty01 i bought my royal when he was 8 months old and he was reared on mice, hes now nearly 12 months and is still on mice (gone from small to medium mice) he cant get enough an always wants his food. so the question is should i change to rats or just leave him on mice cuz hes happy?

Hmm, vexed question this - see debate above.

Rats are definitely more nutritious for a royal - plus they're more suitably sized food - if your royal (and mine) stay on mice, we're going to be feeding several mice, indefinitely, per meal if they grow to be whoppers.

But (and this is only my personal opinion) if Shahi will not take a rat, I'll give him a mouse rather than deprive him of a meal (I'm lucky to have corns and one of them will recycle the rat.) But I will keep on trying him with a rat, and maybe one day the little git will oblige!

On the other hand you may have no trouble at all in switching over. Good luck!
matty87 Posted - 25/11/2010 : 19:53:39
im so glad you asked this question stotty01 i bought my royal when he was 8 months old and he was reared on mice, hes now nearly 12 months and is still on mice (gone from small to medium mice) he cant get enough an always wants his food. so the question is should i change to rats or just leave him on mice cuz hes happy?
Royalbob Posted - 24/11/2010 : 16:05:26
Hello there.
Go with the rat pup, just makes it all easier in the long run.
stotty01 Posted - 23/11/2010 : 19:37:18
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Personally I'd try a rat pup straight off. Maybe defrost both (msall mouse and rat pup) and if they eat the rat, give the mouse to your Corn.

i think i might give one or two feeds on mice then go over to a scented rat pup
Robert Posted - 23/11/2010 : 14:26:45
Hi and welcome to the forum
Kelfezond Posted - 22/11/2010 : 09:50:48
Welcome to the forum Scotty and goodluck with your royal :D

I have two now, Diablo is a 2 month old and Valhalla I think is about 8-9 months. Both are still on mice but I've not yet attempted to switch to rats, Valhalla has grown into a big fat girl on her mice alone so I'm not too bothered about switching just yet I'll wait until she's big enough to handle a nice sized rat before I make the switch.
Blackecho Posted - 22/11/2010 : 07:18:17
Personally I'd try a rat pup straight off. Maybe defrost both (msall mouse and rat pup) and if they eat the rat, give the mouse to your Corn.
n/a Posted - 21/11/2010 : 20:46:51
Aww thanks ... was busy and then got hooked on this forum.

Yes, you could try feeding along those lines. Unless anyone with more experience has other ideas??

I can't call myself an expert - I haven't managed to switch Shahi over, and Saada's an 09 who came already feeding (enthusiastically!) on rats ... most of them go off their grub when they change homes but she came with her own setup, and never missed a beat ... hey, suddenly occurred to me - perhaps that's a tip to try - take along something from the old setup to the new setup, even if it's just some bedding and a cardboard tube?

All the best with your new royal!
stotty01 Posted - 21/11/2010 : 20:10:13
BATS!!! WE HAVE MISSED YOU RATHER ALOT AT TCS xD

the pythons that come in a normally reared on mice so should i just give her mice for 1-2 feeds then try on rat pups?
n/a Posted - 21/11/2010 : 19:40:53
Hi, Stotty, been a while since we spoke.

Glad you're getting a royal - I've got 2 now, see my sig.

Yes, rats are much more nutritious for royals. With any luck your new royal will have been reared on rats.

But if it has been reared on mice, personally I'd wait until it is settled in and feeding regularly before making the change to rats (other people may have different views though.)

I'm in the process of switching Shahi from mice to rats ... I've tried scenting ... no. Tried tong feeding, leaving in viv, feeding in rub (which he's used to) ... no. Last time I gave up, but since ratty was still available I went and offered it on tongs again and got a couple of half-hearted strikes, which may mean that next time we may have success. Or not.

There again, loads of people have made the change with no trouble at all. Every snake is different.

If I were you, if you had the choice, I'd give preference to a rat-eater though!

ps, not that I regret getting Shahi, even if the little git stays on mice!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000