The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 heffa wont eat?? help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Heffa Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:09:27
hi

This is my third attempt at feeding heffa So which means she hasnt eaten for a month.

The last time I fed her, she had a bigger rat 130g. She struggled a lil bit with it but she ate it. Her weight is 1200g and she is 18months old

Since then, I have tried to feed her 3 times, once each week with a rat of the same size, but she isnt interested

She seems to be interested, like she sits in strike pose, which i heat it up, but then when i get it warm enough and wiggle it in her tank, she sniffs and turns her head away.

Its like as soon as she sees how big it is, she dont want it?

Should I get some smaller rats and she if she will take them?

Im just getting worried as she has never not eaten for 3 weeks in a row.

Your advice would be much appreciated
Gina
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boze Posted - 23/12/2010 : 19:28:39
quote:
Originally posted by Heffa

I do check on her daily, check her temps (unfortunately her temp [probes always show a bit lower if she sitting on them, due to her body temp being on the probe) but when she not under the hide, it sits up at the 90, 91 hot end, 85-87 cold end. I have put a damp hide in as the humidity was dropping into 40% cos cold, so it sits in the mid 50%, and i spray if it drops lower

I do keep an eye open for yawning but she only does this once a month if that

signs of a healthy snake right?

The cool end sounds a wee bit warm to be honest, I like to have the cool end at about 80F :-)

D
Royalbob Posted - 23/12/2010 : 16:46:26
As everybody has said, nothing to worry about. You could try a smaller one in a week see if she goes for it.
Might not like tackling the heavyweights. Her weight shows she's been eating well so she's far from starving.
like danny said it's like skipping lunch. Don't forget she's trying to look good for the boys, it's breeding season.
GMac Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:33:31
quote:
Originally posted by Heffa

good good. how do i add new pics, would love to update her photos

link to add photos http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4
Heffa Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:32:41
ah thats ok then. just got a lil worried as she has always been a great eater until now, and only since the big rat, so i wandered if she was saying. "mummy its too much for me" lol
n/a Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:27:31
Yeah, my new girl, Surahi, she's an 06, I've had her three weeks, and she ate one large mouse (in the spring I'm going to try a jacketed rat as she should really be on rats I know) the week after she arrived, and that's been it. As it's what royals do at this time of year I don't think it's much to worry about. I've had her out a couple of times to check her over (she's very huggy!) and will keep on offering food just in case she takes it. I tried her with a smaller mouse left over from the corns, but the reaction was the same as Heffa's. She didn't want it.

This is what royals do lol.
Heffa Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:24:14
good good. how do i add new pics, would love to update her photos
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:22:26
yep, everything sounds fine with her
Heffa Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:21:23
I do check on her daily, check her temps (unfortunately her temp [probes always show a bit lower if she sitting on them, due to her body temp being on the probe) but when she not under the hide, it sits up at the 90, 91 hot end, 85-87 cold end. I have put a damp hide in as the humidity was dropping into 40% cos cold, so it sits in the mid 50%, and i spray if it drops lower

I do keep an eye open for yawning but she only does this once a month if that

signs of a healthy snake right?
Blackecho Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:16:51
Don't sweat it, its that time of year, she may go off for a few months if you're unlucky, although it won't do her any harm whatsoever.

Just check that she is fine otherwise.
Heffa Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:16:29
thats put my mind at ease. I did wander if it could be the weather, as I remember seeing on here that during the winter is the breeding seasons and they normally go off the food.

Looks like a lot of wasted rats tho :( lol
But she is worth it :)

Think I will try her on smaller ones, just incase she is pekish but not starving lol
reptiledanny Posted - 21/12/2010 : 21:13:58
you could try her with a smaller rat
but to be honest, at 1200 grams, she is fine, 3 weeks is nothing to her, like us skipping lunch, she will just be fasting, and will eat probably after the winter as alot of adults go off there food in winter, nothing to worry about.
someones on here went i think was 7 months without feeding and only dropped about5-100 grams, being about 1200 grams at the start, so she will eat in her own good time

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000