The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Patsy's first feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
speedy231278 Posted - 22/12/2010 : 22:40:20
Tonight was feeding time at the zoo, with both our corns also due a meal. With some nervousness it was time to feed Patsy the poorly named python the rat which had been carefully defrosted and warmed up. The tongs I had were utterly useless, so there was no heroic waggling of food to attract her as it promptly went for a burton and plopped onto the top of the hide at the cool end of the viv. Needn't have worried, as before I managed to get the door shut, a head appeared from the warm hide and within seconds she struck at the rat, and missed by a mile!

It must be a female thing, as my corn usually manages to do the same thing, and just like my corn she sat there for ages staring at the rat as if to scoff at the fact it was already dead. After several minutes, I decided that it was safe enough to open the door just far enough to use a stick to prod the rat into 'life', and after a little encouragement she finally pounced on dinner and gave it a hug for several minutes before trying to decide where to start. It's all gone now, although just like my corn she's still on the prowl just in case daddy is feeling generous enough to offer seconds!

If it doesn't reappear by morning, I'll consider it a success. Just one thing though, how long will it be before it makes it out the other end? Our corns are generally about 5-6 days at present, now they've moved up a size mouse and it's a little cooler. She's a little over three feet, and it was a medium rat. I don't have any digital scales yet, so I can't tell you how much she or her dinner weigh...
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
speedy231278 Posted - 23/12/2010 : 15:43:38
Addicted yet? I was pretty much addicted before I got her.... lol
Blackecho Posted - 23/12/2010 : 11:38:54
Good news
reptiledanny Posted - 23/12/2010 : 11:02:30
lol, congrats on the feed, my male is the miss striker, he usually tries to grab the side of, striking form the front and trying to swerve to the side of the rat, most of the time he misses, and then decides that the head is easier, my female never misses. like everyone else has sed, they will urate about once every week-2 weeks, and mine tend to poo every 6-8 weeks. he should not regurge, as long as he is left alone for at least 24 hours, hell be fine, congrats, and welcome to the royal world, addicted yet??
Royalbob Posted - 23/12/2010 : 08:24:17
Haha. Was just logging on to see how the feeding went as well speedy. Had me on the edge of my seat reading that. Congrats on her feed mate. She'll keep it down, just leave her be for a couple days. Definitely not a girl thing with the aim. My younger lot generally urate about once a week and the adults every 2. The poop bit as everyones said is saved up a bit longer. My adults probably go about every month and that's on a weekly feed schedule. But when they go you'd think you had a dog living in there. Like bats said check them hides I got one that must love the smell of his cause he occasionally dumps in his hide and just curls up beside it. Where as the others get it right in the corner as if to say I don't want this in here. Glad it's all going great.
n/a Posted - 22/12/2010 : 22:59:16
LOL - love it! Umm, no it isn't a girl thing, as Shahi is the dozy striker in this house and Saada is deadly accurate. Yeah, love it when they hug it for a while to make sure it's 'dead'.

Oooh, corns, yeah, a few days after feeding, cat diarrohea everywhere ... Absolutely reliable!

Royals often only dump when they shed ...strange but true. They might part with the odd urate ball in between times but usually it's all saved up for the big shed. Having said that, I got Surahi out today and found her proudly guarding a massive one in her hide, despite the fact that she's scarcely eaten with me in 3 weeks (she's an 06 - fasting's to be expected at this time of year from a snake of her age.)

Love the story and congrats on a successful first feed.
GMac Posted - 22/12/2010 : 22:49:22
congrats on he feed. As for her passing it out the other end, can be quite a wait my adult saves it up for upto 8 weeks, and generally between 4-6 for my young ones

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000