The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Stick question ...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Grunt Posted - 23/12/2010 : 12:08:36
Hi, picking up our first snake later today and we're all really excited. My wife bought a piece of wood from the local garden centre and I'm sceptical as to whether it's suitable. It's a lucky reptile deco line troncho medium. I have no idea but I know some of you guys would be able to help. It still has the bark on it which made me wonder as I've seen lots of photos on here and all your pieces seem to be stripped of bark and really smooth. Thanks in advance.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
prozacbear Posted - 02/01/2011 : 22:01:50
quote:
Originally posted by Grunt

The only thing I'm a bit worried about now is the humidity inside the viv. It settles down at about 42-45% but I've read that this should be between 50-60%. We've sprayed in the viv a bit and it does go up for a while but drops right back down. Does anyone have any opinions or solutions to this? We're using aspen as substrate at the moment, is this too dry?

I find the best ways to increase humidity is to use either damp moss (which you can get from pet suppliers), or if your not worried about the natural look a cheaper option a clean damp flannel (just wet it and wring it out). I have found these options to provide a more stable humidity than just spraying.
STICKS Posted - 25/12/2010 : 06:38:15
Hi there give it a good soak in the bath a little bleach a srub and then bake in the overn for about an hour then leave to cool should be fine hope this helps.
Kehhlyr Posted - 25/12/2010 : 03:51:24
Another toxic plant list can be found here: http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=1183
Downloadable PDF has further links to source of the info if required.
Grunt Posted - 24/12/2010 : 22:25:33
Thanks for the help guys, it turns out the piece we bought is oak. I cut it down to fit and shoved it in. We still have some setting up and 'Pythie' (my son isn't the best at naming animals!) seems to be settling in ok, not that that's easy to tell.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about now is the humidity inside the viv. It settles down at about 42-45% but I've read that this should be between 50-60%. We've sprayed in the viv a bit and it does go up for a while but drops right back down. Does anyone have any opinions or solutions to this? We're using aspen as substrate at the moment, is this too dry?
nok1888 Posted - 23/12/2010 : 14:56:45
I'll have to have a look
CoN Posted - 23/12/2010 : 14:55:42
Lucky Reptile deco line troncho branches should be safe for snakes.
nok1888 Posted - 23/12/2010 : 14:17:12
Just checked http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-health/reptile-toxic-plants.aspx and according to that horse chestnut (conker) tree is toxic, glad I checked. With the length of that list I think I'll stick to shop bought stuff
Blackecho Posted - 23/12/2010 : 14:11:53
No Pine either.
CoN Posted - 23/12/2010 : 13:52:05
Im not to sure on just hardwood but Cedar and Redwood are deadly to Royals.
nok1888 Posted - 23/12/2010 : 13:42:49
Its only hardwood you can use eh? Theres a load of chestnut trees behind the house and I got some great branches but wasnt too sure if I could use them or not
Kelfezond Posted - 23/12/2010 : 13:12:51
Here is something that will help with wood.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=713

I believe as long as you clean anything you're going to use it should be fine.

I have a bark hide which my snakes love to use when shedding

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000