The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 vivarium size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
martinking6 Posted - 26/12/2010 : 18:26:46
Hiya

In a sense of planning for the future what size vivarium is ideal for earl(my royal python) when he is fully grown and can you have too big a vivarium for a fully grown royal python.

I have read plenty of articles stating the importance of not going too big vivarium wise for the python as it is growing but have come across nothing about when fully grown ?

Any advice appreciated

Martin
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GMac Posted - 15/01/2011 : 16:11:39
for replies to ballgirl's last question please reply in this thread

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5022
reptiledanny Posted - 14/01/2011 : 17:54:32
well i have never put a baby royal straight into a 3ft viv, and i myself would not, as you may say that royals live in the wild, and the wild is huge, but a captive bred snake has never been in the wild, and is probably only used to haveing the small space in th rub, so feels comfertable in that, to me, its like if you were in a mansion all by yourself, u may end up getting spooked by every little thing because you dont know whats at the other end lol (if u get what i mean)
i mean yes u could put a baby royal into a 3ft viv, and pack it out with lots and lots of stuff, but you run the rik of the baby royal getting to stressed and not eating
if you are addement on keeping a baby royal in a 3ft, then you can, but if the snake doe snot eat, then i would advise to put it in a smaller cage, like a rub
as well as that, i would ask the breeder or seller what they were keeping it in when it hatched, or when you buy it, as this will give you an idea of what it is used too

other people will probably have a better answer than me, will more knowledge, but thats just my 2 penith
ballgirl Posted - 14/01/2011 : 17:44:25
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

In the wild, Royals live in rodent burrows, not the Rain Forest.

fair cop lol
i didnt exactly mean that (i know they live in burrows) i sort of meant if the hides are representative of the rodent burrows the rest of the viv is representative of the outside world which, wherever it is, is probably bigger than 3 feet long.

Hi, first post from Royal owner to be, doing my pre-purchase research, so be gentle :)
I've been reading this thread with interest as I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm not on a tight budget and want to get the best stuff I can, so I was planning on getting a 3ft viv from the start but others have said a much smaller plastic box is the way to go for a hatchling - something like the large flat faunarium or a Rub.

The way I see it though, is that a larger viv with lamp would be easier to maintain a decent hot end and cold end gradient than an 18" long plastic box with a heat mat. And as has been stated above, as long as there is a choice of hides that are the right size and in all parts of the viv, with plenty of foliage to break up the open spaces, I can't see the reason for a small enclosure. Loads of people say that snakes are notorious escape artists - even Royals. Doesn't that tell us that sometimes the Viv is actually too small and that they want to have a roam about? As Benji54 says above, the wild is a large place and yes, although they choose to sit in a small burrow for hours, doesn't mean they stay there permanently. I'd like to give my Royal the choice - to roam or hide. Keeping a snake in a small enclosure would also limit muscle growth as far as I can see, because they wouldn't be able to roam and climb if they wanted to (I know they're not arboreal snakes, but I gather that sometimes they do climb). I really don't like the thought of my snake being in a box that's only 17cm high...

I'm being a bit selfish with the question, I know, because I would rather have a nice looking viv than a plastic box, so if people can actually tell me of genuine problems they've had with small Royals in a 3ft Viv, that would be a great help. I WILL go with a faunarium if people can convince me it's definitely the right way to go for the health of the snake. But some of the responses to this question always seem like the "stock" answer and it's an answer that has been handed down and I don't know if people have actually had problems personally and the size of the enclosure has been proven to be the reason. The arguments just don't seem to add up without evidence, if you know what I mean....

Please don't flame me... I'm just asking because I don't understand.
reptiledanny Posted - 01/01/2011 : 12:27:33
mine are all going into 3ft's, but if say bow decides that she wants to be a monster royal and grow to 6ft and weigh in at 3kg, then i have room for a 4ft, and will get her one if the 3ft seems to small
Blackecho Posted - 01/01/2011 : 11:35:22
Obviously its hard to give advice for a specific snake, all we can do is generalise really and Royals appear on the whole to have less problems in small spaces compared to larger ones.
n/a Posted - 01/01/2011 : 11:28:20
Yeah, that's so true ...I like to provide a good choice of hides and in varying sizes too - but they'll always choose the smallest and stuff themselves in!
prozacbear Posted - 01/01/2011 : 08:02:44
Hi
I've had Guybrush in a 4 foot viv since I bought him (he was about 20 inches then). I think the important thing is to have hides of the correct size for you snake. When I first got him he could fit happily into the small exo terra hides, as he has grown and the hides end up looking more like hats I've moved up a size.
He has just moved up to the extra large size. So far he has shown no signs of stress, and feeds regularly. He also makes use of the 4 foot viv by coming out most days for a 'walk' and a sleep in the open.
Since I've only owned one Royal I'm no expert but this has been my experience.
Benji54 Posted - 31/12/2010 : 14:56:33
too true, my royal broke a personal record over the last couple of weeks, didnt come out of his for a fortnight lol! he was out last night (post shed) cuz i think he was hunting but as you say that about it lol! compared to the corns and the BRB he looks like a right lazy so and so
Blackecho Posted - 31/12/2010 : 10:02:22
Yeah, I know what you mean Ben. I really think that Royals are so lazy and agoraphobic generally, that they only move out to hunt food or breed. Obviously all snakes are different and some will cope better than others.
Benji54 Posted - 31/12/2010 : 01:44:28
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

fair cop lol
i didnt exactly mean that (i know they live in burrows) i sort of meant if the hides are representative of the rodent burrows the rest of the viv is representative of the outside world which, wherever it is, is probably bigger than 3 feet long.
reptiledanny Posted - 30/12/2010 : 15:41:09
mine will go in 3ft vivs, but i get my royals out everyday for half and hour at least to explore and have a bit off fun, so to me, the viv is only there for them to be safe in and sleep, my mum even gets them out sometimes if she see's them out and about, so the viv is only for hiding in lol
n/a Posted - 30/12/2010 : 14:44:12
Hmm, yeah, I got Surahi out today for her latest photoshoot (lol!) and she's WEDGED into a seagrass box 1'x5"x3". (She's 4' long.) Feels safe like that, obviously. But when she wakes up it's a case of lemme out, I wanna have fun! She roams about her 3' viv, stretches her legs, explores, comes out and gives me a hug and kiss ... then retires again to one of her seagrass boxes ... wanna chill, Lil!

When I build my viv stack the vivs will be 3'6" or slightly more, but still packed out with loads of hides etc.

I like to give them the option.
Blackecho Posted - 30/12/2010 : 14:42:36
Benji54 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 14:28:15
id say the 3x2x2 is a good size (a minimum for an adult) but i dont think you can ever have too big a vivarium as long as there is ample hiding space. obviously if its massive its a waste of space, money and eqpt as the snake wont use it all but as long as he can hide somewhere smaller he'll be fine. they do ok in the wild and rainforests are pretty big lol!
blackskull Posted - 30/12/2010 : 14:18:35
im gonna go against the grain here

i have always kept my adults in 4ft vivs and never had a prob with them not eatin or being streesed
reptiledanny Posted - 27/12/2010 : 11:28:33
te, like BE sed, mine will go in lx 36 as i feel that will be comfertable in them, the only dif really is more hieght and about 2-3 inches of width
Royalbob Posted - 26/12/2010 : 22:24:16
Yep I wouldn't go any larger than the above dimensions either for a full grown royal.
Blackecho Posted - 26/12/2010 : 21:29:00
Mine are in VX36's, I'd be happy with them in the LX ones too.
CoN Posted - 26/12/2010 : 19:08:16
Hi.
Yes a 3ftx2ftx2ft is perfect for an adult Royal, as they go if their food if housed in a too big enclosure.
reptiledanny Posted - 26/12/2010 : 18:29:29
i am housing all mine when fully grown in 3 ft vivs as that is what people on here have told me to do, as they prefer smaller spaces

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000