The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Newbie Viv Questions :-)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jo-jo-beans Posted - 27/12/2010 : 15:31:31
Hey guys,
Built the new Viv for my Beardie, and nearly had a heart attack - opened the flat pack and there was one piece of glass!!! Aarrgghh!!
Being the type of person I am - no worries, I'll think of something.
Anywhoos, beardie is in his new Viv, one glass door, one plastic door made from the bottom of a RUB ( until I can get some glass).

Royals viv is all set up now, tonnes of hides etc. All I did over the weekend was make smaller boxes out of bigger boxes :-P

So my question, my rep room is quite bright normally, but with the usual Scottish winter ( spring, autumn, and probably summer!!) it's a little dull, so as well as the infrared heat lamp, could I put in a low watt bulb on a timer for a little light during the day, so that the wee dude recognises night and day?

Joanna

Ps and merry Christmas everyone!!!

Quick edit - first reading of my temps - 91 in hot hide, 81 in cool end -YAY!!!
Only a teeny bit of fiddling needed, if any.
Glad I got rid of the mat stat!!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jo-jo-beans Posted - 28/12/2010 : 15:03:18
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Aww, he's fabulous! Lol, I know what you mean about the laptop - my Emily says SHE'S my laptop! That second photo is incredible - so many people have sworn that it's impossible to gain the trust or affection of any cat with wildcat blood.

Know what you mean about the scars ... My Ali Kat (aka the Bitey Whitey) had hung about for a couple of years, looking thin and dirty, and then decided he was Moving In. He terrorised us! He challenged poor Finn incessantly, and attacked me if I rescued Finn. Turned out he had a 'home' a couple of streets away but had abandoned it after the 'owner' got dogs. His favourite technique was the bone-crunching bite or the rear attack on the legs ...ouch! But so rewarding when he decided that he Liked me enough to abide by house rules...I think the other cats were relieved as well!

All cats are special, but Snowbo looks truly imposing and unique ...lovely guy!

ps Congrats in advance for tomorrow's snakeday!

Thanks Lilith . He really is a wee honey. Even with other people. Seems it's only really me he bites or scratches, but I that's because I'm the one that spends the most time with him. If you're ever passing by Glasgow, gimme a shout

Only 24 hours now!! Picking him up at about 2pm so we'll be able to do a little shopping in Edinburgh first - yay!!!

Will try and get some pics up in the next few days.
n/a Posted - 28/12/2010 : 12:43:09
Aww, he's fabulous! Lol, I know what you mean about the laptop - my Emily says SHE'S my laptop! That second photo is incredible - so many people have sworn that it's impossible to gain the trust or affection of any cat with wildcat blood.

Know what you mean about the scars ... My Ali Kat (aka the Bitey Whitey) had hung about for a couple of years, looking thin and dirty, and then decided he was Moving In. He terrorised us! He challenged poor Finn incessantly, and attacked me if I rescued Finn. Turned out he had a 'home' a couple of streets away but had abandoned it after the 'owner' got dogs. His favourite technique was the bone-crunching bite or the rear attack on the legs ...ouch! But so rewarding when he decided that he Liked me enough to abide by house rules...I think the other cats were relieved as well!

All cats are special, but Snowbo looks truly imposing and unique ...lovely guy!

ps Congrats in advance for tomorrow's snakeday!
jo-jo-beans Posted - 28/12/2010 : 00:29:53
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Hi, a bit off topic here (although I'll add my two-pennorth and say I don't bother adding to infra-red bulbs for royals' housing) but I'm interested to see you live with a hybrid Scottish wildcat. From what I've read (Gavin Maxwell, Rowena Farr, Mike Tomkies), these guys can be quite forbidding. I've lived with Siamese and ferals and a really incredible feral (who I think got roughnecked with by some idiot owner, because he bit you if you stroked him or even looked at him wrong, but who responded to love and calmness) but apparently the Scottish Wildcat is something else. How do you get on with Snowbo?

Hey Lilith,
He's had his moments in the past - I have the scars to prove it, but he really is a bit of a pu$$ycat now. As I type he is mooching around trying to push the laptop off my lap so he can sit there, or rather lie on his back full stretch so I can rub his tum!! :o) He's also incredibly clever, when he's out having a wander and it's time to come in, all I need to do is open the door and whistle and he comes running .
Here's 2 wee pics. The second one is him at his best - lying on my legs getting petted.

n/a Posted - 27/12/2010 : 22:36:13
Hi, a bit off topic here (although I'll add my two-pennorth and say I don't bother adding to infra-red bulbs for royals' housing) but I'm interested to see you live with a hybrid Scottish wildcat. From what I've read (Gavin Maxwell, Rowena Farr, Mike Tomkies), these guys can be quite forbidding. I've lived with Siamese and ferals and a really incredible feral (who I think got roughnecked with by some idiot owner, because he bit you if you stroked him or even looked at him wrong, but who responded to love and calmness) but apparently the Scottish Wildcat is something else. How do you get on with Snowbo?
jo-jo-beans Posted - 27/12/2010 : 22:25:57
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

I just use a low wattage fluorescent fish tank tube attached to a timer. Had it lying around. It's set to come on for a few hrs in the eve in winter. Once the days get a bit longer i don't use anything, just natural light.

Thanks Bob
Royalbob Posted - 27/12/2010 : 20:53:58
I just use a low wattage fluorescent fish tank tube attached to a timer. Had it lying around. It's set to come on for a few hrs in the eve in winter. Once the days get a bit longer i don't use anything, just natural light.
jo-jo-beans Posted - 27/12/2010 : 20:09:54
Ah great minds I'm thinking. Had the same thought about 30 mins ago when I was driving home, but I'd prefer the lights on a timer, just in case I pop them on in the morning and I'm in late that day to pop em off.
reptiledanny Posted - 27/12/2010 : 16:59:56
lol, an idea i always had if the vivs where not light enough was to get some of those stick on light things from ikea, the ones that you push and the light comes on, ill find a link and show you
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-LED-Spotlights-Pack-3/dp/B0014O6QQ8
or you could get a stripe light
jo-jo-beans Posted - 27/12/2010 : 16:53:50
Oooh thanks Danny, I never actually thought about that. Because it wouldn't heat up much I didn't think.

Thanks sweets.

Dont think I'll bother then, think a lamp or 2 in the room should suffice.
reptiledanny Posted - 27/12/2010 : 16:32:49
yes, but the bulb would still need guarding as the royal could wap himself round it and smash the glass, so would need to be guarded

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000