The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Hi little question!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
infatuateddrummer Posted - 02/01/2011 : 20:49:16
I sorry if this has been covered already! I planning on gettin a royal soon and I have heat matt and stat do I need a bulb of some sort?? I got fitting for it in the viv so no major prob just didn't no what sort to use!! I am also aware I need a guard too if I use a bulb! Many thanks people
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 02/01/2011 : 22:52:09
Nope if your putting him into a suitable sized viv for his size just use one of the bulbs Bats has described in her post. Attatch it to a thermostat so the temp at the hot hide is 90F. Place the probe near the base of viv next to hot hide and adjust the thermostat dial according to the thermometer. Should be good to go.
infatuateddrummer Posted - 02/01/2011 : 21:59:42
Spot on mate just looked at dimming stats where do you put the probe??? And u say won't need heat matt at all?? Even as baby?
n/a Posted - 02/01/2011 : 21:39:42
Hi, if your royal is going to be in a viv, where the heat mat is actually in the viv with the snake, unlike a rub or faun where the mat is under the floor of the enclosure, infra-red bulb heating is preferable to a heat mat. The bulb will be a screw fitting, not the bayonet type usually provided for by viv fittings (I know, AArrgh, been there, done all that, but it's worth it in the end!) It's important to have infra-red and not white light, as snakes can't 'see' red light, and therefore the light can be used 24/7. Another source of heat is the ceramic bulb, which emits heat but no light and may be convenient if the snake lives in a bedroom which you may want to be kept dark. Myself I quite like the dim glow of light, quite handy when rising in the early hours for the bathroom lol! All bulbs do need to be guarded and fitted with thermostats ...umm, yes, why can't we have temperature control fittings on these things, eh? But thermostats it is, and thermometers too, or, my favourite gadget, a temp gun.

Heat mats are fine for any slim bodied reptile, such as corn snakes, but not so good for a large bodied snake like a royal. If a royal gets comfy on a mat, its bulk may cause thermal blocking ie the bulk of the snake causes the mat to malfunction and overheat. This can happen even with a thermostat fitted with the mat. Whereas a mammal would sense the temperature with any part of its body, a royal's chief heat sense is in the 'pits' below its nostrils which it uses to hunt prey. Therefore it can burn its body and be unaware of it. I would personally use infra red (or ceramic) bulbs because of this.

Hope this helps, and sorry if I've overlapped with anyone else.

hodgie Posted - 02/01/2011 : 21:38:59
If your mat is 1/3rd the size of the viv then you dont need a bulb
konrad1982 Posted - 02/01/2011 : 20:55:38
Have a look one post below. I bought everything you've got now and for me it doesn't seem to work out that's why now I'm looking for another solution . It probably all depends what temperature you've got in your house.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000