The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Infrared Bulbs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 04/01/2011 : 17:57:53
At the weekend i'm going to buy an infrared bulb for the vivarium, what wattage bulb shall i get for a 24"x15"x12" vivarium?
And also what should the ideal temperatures be during the day and at night? At the moment during the day it is at about 30 degrees and at night about 25
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 04/01/2011 : 23:18:57
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

haha when my big ones go bats they really go.

LOL - that's what I'm worried about! I know some of it comes out in those urate balls but there's plenty of swampiness as well!

Should've called her Marsha. Or Becky ...
Royalbob Posted - 04/01/2011 : 23:13:09
haha when my big ones go bats they really go.
n/a Posted - 04/01/2011 : 23:02:49
quote:
Originally posted by boze

Snakes pee wherever they want :-)

D

LOL - glad you've reminded me - I've just been sitting here watching Surahi at her water bowl - first time I've ever seen one of my royals drink. She's 4' and I'm not used to such a large snake yet. Think I'd better put down a goood few thicknesses of kitchen roll in case that lot comes out the other end in the wee hours!!
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:50:21
Ohh yeah, now I understand aha.. Deffinately a blonde moment there!
boze Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:46:27
Snakes pee wherever they want :-)

D
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:35:52
I don't know if i'm being silly and having a blonde moment (not that i am blonde lol) but why does the heatmat not being waterproof effect the snake?
Royalbob Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:29:58
Hiya, be careful with your little one being in direct contact with the heat mat as they are not completely waterproof.
Your rep shop should have the guards if they sell the bulbs if not try here.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-lighting-equipment-415/reptile-light-fittings-487/prorep-spot-lamp-guards-38473.html

not saying there the cheapest just run a search on google. Get the bulb 1st so you know the guard will fit as there are different sizes. happy shopping.
SurroundedByMadness Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:01:18
Yeah, im replacing a heat mat, as at the moment when he's in his hot hide he pushes the substrate aside and is on the heat mat itself, which is worring me incase he gets burned. Also, he only seems to come out in complete darkness at the moment, he's quite shy, so im hoping an infrared bulb will make night time viewing a lot easier :)
And where can you get a guard from? I've dont think ive ever seen a bulb guard at my local reptile shop, but then again, ive never needed one so ive not really looked lol
Thanks for your help
n/a Posted - 04/01/2011 : 19:16:52
Oops, sorry, forgot about 75watt ...I did think 100 a bit high but reckoned the stat would keep it within bounds - yes, 75 would be preferable for a viv of that size!
Blackecho Posted - 04/01/2011 : 19:14:12
As above, I'd use a 60 or 75W bulb and I keep the temps the same 24 hours a day.
n/a Posted - 04/01/2011 : 19:10:16
Hi, is the bulb going to replace the existing means of heat, such as a mat? Infra-red lighting/heating, or ceramic bulb heating, are preferable for royals in vivs, as the bulk of a royal's body can cause thermal blocking, and burning, even on a statted mat (a royal's body is not as efficient in sensing heat as a mammal's.) I started Shahi out on a mat (which is ok for a slimmer bodied hatchling) and then decided to switch to infra-red. At first I thought I should just use the light in the day but, after posting on this forum, realised I might as well ditch the mat and keep the light on all the time (snakes can't 'see' infra red as we do.)

As you'll know, the bulb will need a guard and a dimmer stat to prevent overheating in the viv. For a viv of this size, a 60 watt should be fine, but at this time of the year, a 100 won't hurt - the stat will keep it dimmed to the right temp, and, in the event of another cold snap, there is the potential extra power for extra heat if needed.

If the viv already has a light fitting, check that it's a screw fitting - for some reason infra-red bulbs only come in the screw fitting, not the usual bayonet ... d'oh, been there done that!

I like to aim for a cold end temp of 26 and a warm end of 30/32. I use a temp gun and measure the substrate. The stat should keep the warm end at an even temp - the cold end temp will probably go down a few degrees at night, depending on the warmth of the room.

Hope this helps - sorry if I've overlapped with anyone else!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000