The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Braining

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pete171 Posted - 07/01/2011 : 11:23:23
I have had my Royal Python 2 weeks on Monday. I have tried feeding once but he wasn't interested. He is about 8 months old and about 24" long. I am considering braining next time to see if that gets him interested. Can someone give me some advice on how to do this?

Also his sleep pattern doesn't seem to be right, I know they are nocturnal but he seems to be awake all morning till about lunch time and then sleeps right through until early hours of the morning. In view of this, when would be the best time to feed him.

I tried yesterday at about 18:00 hrs but he stayed in his hide and only stuck his nose out!

Any help anyone can give me will be gratefully appreciated.

Moved
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
heaton177 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 18:56:01
try feeding him a bit later on like just befor you go to bed or as late as you can as they are nocturnel like you said and when you try him at 1800 you mite starkle him when you open it as he may be aslp, and try and go in as quiet as possible like no sudden movements or loud bangs. like everyone else has said it is no problem him not feeding as you have onli just got him and he needs to settle in just dont worry he will feed when hes ready.
Royalbob Posted - 09/01/2011 : 10:53:40
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

As he hissed he still sounds nervous/scared to me. Firstly as everyone says leave well alone other than water changes and spot checks. At feeding time you standing anywhere near watching will make him nervous, just put the mouse in, close the lid, weigh the lid down they are strong little buggers and turn off the light/cover with a towel & leave the room for 20 minutes. It will suck that you won't see him eat but there is plenty of time for that.

Agree with this feeding method also, but some snakes will only strike feed. They need that stimulation that the prey is alive. I would first find out how and what prey was offered before you bought him. good luck again , hope he snaps it up.
pete171 Posted - 09/01/2011 : 00:16:29
Thanks guys. Using kitchen towel at the moment as easier to see if any problems. will let you know how i get on.
Lotabob Posted - 08/01/2011 : 15:04:14
As he hissed he still sounds nervous/scared to me. Firstly as everyone says leave well alone other than water changes and spot checks. At feeding time you standing anywhere near watching will make him nervous, just put the mouse in, close the lid, weigh the lid down they are strong little buggers and turn off the light/cover with a towel & leave the room for 20 minutes. It will suck that you won't see him eat but there is plenty of time for that.
STICKS Posted - 08/01/2011 : 10:54:36
Hi there pete like the othere guys said i think he needs time to settle in you could when feeding next time defrost normaly get your self some barbe tongs long one's dip the rat into some not to hot water the nose and up to the shoulder wipe and try just holding it using the tongs dont blink at this stage you will miss it thay are realy fast is he on sub or tissue if sub put some tissue down first in case it gets dropped if all else fails put on a plate and leave it overnight if he's hungry it will be gone if its still there dump it and give him a week.Hope this helps.
pete171 Posted - 07/01/2011 : 15:44:43
ok cheers guys
Royalbob Posted - 07/01/2011 : 15:02:14
ok mate just get ya set up all sorted according to the care sheet on here. let him settle in and i'm sure he'll be eating soon enough.
Also agree with Gmac, get him feeding consecutively before you start handling.
pete171 Posted - 07/01/2011 : 14:46:06
Had problems getting the temp high enough initialy, but with some polystyrene and tin foil underneath it now seems ok. Didn't get anything in the set up to measure humidity and i know i will need to get a hydrometer. Didn't get a stat either and have since purchased one.

Thanks guys
GMac Posted - 07/01/2011 : 12:26:37
Hi Pete and welcome,
Not feeding for a few weeks is nothing really to worry about with royals, so wouldnt worry about braining for now, and as royalbob has said change water and offer food again in 5 days

The hissing is just to let you know to leave him alone as he may feel threatened and still settling. Personally i wouldnt handle him until he has settled in to his new environment and had a good few consecutive feeds from you.

Good luck
Royalbob Posted - 07/01/2011 : 12:06:36
No worries, leave him alone, just change water etc and try him again in 5 days. Are all your temps and humidity ok?
pete171 Posted - 07/01/2011 : 11:44:37
Thanks Bob, haven't handled at all since I put him, tried once but he got upset and started hissing, so i left him alone. Handled him on two seperate occasions at the shop and he was fine.
Royalbob Posted - 07/01/2011 : 11:38:00
Hi pete, post this question up in the General post section and you'll get more response.

He might just need some more time to settle in. Have you been handling him? they just need to be left alone for the first week. Are you feeding the same prey he is used to?
Braining is just done by puncturing the skull with a sharp object. I would try offering food whilst he is awake. good luck

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000