The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Question for anatess

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
louise32 Posted - 11/01/2011 : 22:44:29
Hi.

Following on from the thread about rubs, I have a question. How do you heat the 64L rubs that your adult royals are in?

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
louise32 Posted - 14/01/2011 : 11:39:51
Thank you both, that's put my mind at rest.

I think I feel just about ready for my Royal lol although still got a few weeks (months but weeks sounds less) till my birthday :(

Got 2 new corns on the way next week too so I'm so happy right now :)
Blackecho Posted - 14/01/2011 : 11:08:12
Yep, they're fine if underneath the RUB, you just don't want the snake lying directly on them.
Royalbob Posted - 14/01/2011 : 10:48:08
All my adults are either in 33l or 50l rubs bearing in mind the largest is 2kg. The thing with rubs is creating the right ambient temperature. Mine are kept in a room which is maintained between 76-80F. The hot spot is created using heat mats and maintained at 88-91F. Thermal blocking occurs when a heavy bodied snake lies directly on a heat mat for a long time. With a rub there is always that small gap between the rub and the mat so i fail to see how this could happen. humidity is maintained by water bowl size and placement. It's at 55-60% and raised when shedding to up to 75% for approx 2 days with the use of moss.
louise32 Posted - 14/01/2011 : 07:26:41
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

looks like you've got some visiting to do bats. love having family in nice locations. i visited kissimee when i was about 10 so not much memory unfortunately.

like i said i had vivs then as my collection grew i moved one into a rub and saw how well the snake done. Also how well the rub maintained the temps and humidity. The snake just looked and behaved like it was more secure. I also traded bark for kitchen roll, again not as pleasing on the eye to some but i love that clean look. If any crawling nasties got in i could spot em a mile off. I also never need to spot clean just whip the whole lot out bin it, wash rub and pop snakey back in. 5mins. What can i say i shortly after put all mine in rubs and there doing great. Dont get me wrong i love a nicely set up viv i just find rubs much easier for me and the snake.

I have just ordered some rubs for my new snakes. I also use kitchen roll and like you say it's so easy to clean up any mess.

So if I was to keep any royals in rubs once bigger is it ok to use a heat mat then? I'm just a bit confussed as I though you shouldn't use them for big bodied adults? Tbh, I would prefer a large rub for an adult royal, as like you have both said, I think it would be easier to keep the conditions just right but I thought they would have to go into a vivarium when bigger so to switch from a heat mat to a bulb.

Thanks.
Royalbob Posted - 14/01/2011 : 01:31:05
looks like you've got some visiting to do bats. love having family in nice locations. i visited kissimee when i was about 10 so not much memory unfortunately.

like i said i had vivs then as my collection grew i moved one into a rub and saw how well the snake done. Also how well the rub maintained the temps and humidity. The snake just looked and behaved like it was more secure. I also traded bark for kitchen roll, again not as pleasing on the eye to some but i love that clean look. If any crawling nasties got in i could spot em a mile off. I also never need to spot clean just whip the whole lot out bin it, wash rub and pop snakey back in. 5mins. What can i say i shortly after put all mine in rubs and there doing great. Dont get me wrong i love a nicely set up viv i just find rubs much easier for me and the snake.
anatess Posted - 13/01/2011 : 21:58:05
Kissimee is only 2 hours drive from me. Shorter if my husband drives.

I don't know why RUBs aren't popular here. It's a pretty cool box for anything. Ever since you guys introduced me to the RUB, I've been using it for more than just the snakes. I moved my filing system into RUBs, my box of photos, my old textbooks.

It is just sooo sturdy and stacks perfectly! There's only a few sizes available at Staples/Office Depot so I had to order them online and they're expensive to ship! When I get the chance, I'm going to take down everything I got in the attic (Christmas decorations, etc.) and move them to RUBs too.
reptiledanny Posted - 13/01/2011 : 19:27:25
i fully agree, i like the look of vivs, and would always choose vivs over rubs, but if it came to it and the snakes were better off in rubs, i would happily put them in rubs, i would of course have to make the rubs look as nice as i can lol, but would happily put them in them
n/a Posted - 13/01/2011 : 19:05:18
LOL - I'm part Irish (among other things) so I've CERTAINLY got some American relatives out there, as well as the horse dealers and Sinn Feiners in Dublin - and my new nephew in law is African American from El Paso (he met my niece in Japan and now they're in California lol!) Uh, I'm just here in sunny Wakefield ...

I just have to say that I have no prejudices against keeping snakes in large plastic boxes - in fact it's more private for the snake, and you can still give them loads of room if you are, like me, a fan of plenty of room, plenty of hides. BUT - in a scruffy terraced house full of draughts, where a room can't be heated to an acceptable ambient temp for rubs, it has to be vivs in my case ...

This is a good thread though, been following it with interest.
Royalbob Posted - 13/01/2011 : 18:49:43
lol. Think you guys have got a lot more over there. My dad used to live in brooklyn NY and my grandad lives in kissimmee. still love my cold, rainy london though
anatess Posted - 13/01/2011 : 18:29:12
quote:

Couldn't agree more. was just trying to point out that a lot of people are against rubs but usually only for 2 points. 1 being the space they provide and the other is how they look on the eye. The first point of space is that rub sizes are actually perfect for royals and the 2nd point of decor is a space is a space. You can decorate a rub exactly as you would a viv plus have the same if not much better viewing angles as you have showed. As i said before i love your set up and it's given me some great ideas. mine used to be in vivs then moved them to rubs and as you say the control over their habitat is so much easier. As well as cleaning etc. sorry if last post was a bit confusing.

It's my Floridian understanding that makes it confusing. LOL! One of these days, I'm gonna have to go visit England and see what y'all got over there!

In the USA, I tell people, hey, you gotta check out the RUB and they would say, the WHAT?
Royalbob Posted - 13/01/2011 : 18:05:55
Couldn't agree more. was just trying to point out that a lot of people are against rubs but usually only for 2 points. 1 being the space they provide and the other is how they look on the eye. The first point of space is that rub sizes are actually perfect for royals and the 2nd point of decor is a space is a space. You can decorate a rub exactly as you would a viv plus have the same if not much better viewing angles as you have showed. As i said before i love your set up and it's given me some great ideas. mine used to be in vivs then moved them to rubs and as you say the control over their habitat is so much easier. As well as cleaning etc. sorry if last post was a bit confusing.
anatess Posted - 13/01/2011 : 16:12:34
quote:
All but the largest female royals only need a 3ft viv MAX.
vivs are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye not to the snakes.
Royals in particular do incredibly well in R.U.B type set ups.
viv vs rub is human preference not the snakes.

Actually, viv versus RUB is completely for the snake's preference, not mine. Okay, here was my set-up before:

It is aesthetically pleasing to me but I can't keep stable temps and humidity in that viv. It is just too sensitive to the outside environment. If it was left up to me, I'd rather have this viv! But, my snakes sometimes shed in pieces and what-not, so I had to do something about it.

So, I moved them to the RUB and ever since then everything has been perfect. Humidity and temps are stable in the same environment that the viv was in. Complete sheds and everything. But, because I still need to make it aesthetically pleasing for me, then I made the RUB into a display case like this:

So... it's the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS... for me and the snakes.
Royalbob Posted - 13/01/2011 : 14:03:02
quote:
Originally posted by louise32

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

i now, its so exciting getting a new snake, im excited to be maybe getting one this year lol
i love keeping mine in vivs, and i like to design them and make them look lovely with nice pieces of wood and stuff, thats one thing i will always do, i will always consider my next snake as already being in a 3ft viv, if i cannot fit another 3ft viv in, then no snakey lol

I think that's were some people go wrong and why you see so many people selling snakes that are a few years old. It's all very well buying cute little snakes that fit into little tubs but like you say, you have to remember that they will grow and most will need a 3ft viv minimum.

Luckily I have plenty of room in both my bedroom and living room for quite a few large vivs, even 4ft ones so I can get quite a few snakes

All but the largest female royals only need a 3ft viv MAX.
vivs are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye not to the snakes.
Royals in particular do incredibly well in R.U.B type set ups.
viv vs rub is human preference not the snakes.
louise32 Posted - 13/01/2011 : 07:43:56
quote:

i now, its so exciting getting a new snake, im excited to be maybe getting one this year lol
i love keeping mine in vivs, and i like to design them and make them look lovely with nice pieces of wood and stuff, thats one thing i will always do, i will always consider my next snake as already being in a 3ft viv, if i cannot fit another 3ft viv in, then no snakey lol

I think that's were some people go wrong and why you see so many people selling snakes that are a few years old. It's all very well buying cute little snakes that fit into little tubs but like you say, you have to remember that they will grow and most will need a 3ft viv minimum.

Luckily I have plenty of room in both my bedroom and living room for quite a few large vivs, even 4ft ones so I can get quite a few snakes
anatess Posted - 12/01/2011 : 22:16:05
WARNING TO EVERYBODY:

NEVER USE A UTH OR HEAT MAT OR HEAT TAPE WITHOUT A THERMOSTAT OR RHEOSTAT (dimmer), regardless of the type of viv.

Thanks!
reptiledanny Posted - 12/01/2011 : 20:03:27
louise32 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 18:50:17
quote:

oh ok lol, so u will be housing your baby in a 9l, and then when older putting it in a viv lol

Yeah, will maybe go up a few rub sizes then go for a viv.

I'm so excited I can't wait!
reptiledanny Posted - 12/01/2011 : 17:53:17
quote:
Originally posted by konrad1982

But snake on the Anatess picture doesn't look like a baby at all and that RUB seems to be huge too. I'm surprised that heat mat didn't burn the snake.

it is an adult royal (or sub adult) in a 64 litre rub, and the mat was probably stated
konrad1982 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 17:45:50
But snake on the Anatess picture doesn't look like a baby at all and that RUB seems to be huge too. I'm surprised that heat mat didn't burn the snake.
reptiledanny Posted - 12/01/2011 : 17:23:17
oh ok lol, so u will be housing your baby in a 9l, and then when older putting it in a viv lol

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000