The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Weight loss?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nok1888 Posted - 15/01/2011 : 21:09:14
Orlina has only eaten one mouse in a few weeks (note pad has went walkies as always so dont know exactly how long sure its about 8 weeks) but knowing they can do this I wasnt too worried and expected a little weight loss but she's lost 85-90 grams (she kept moving). It seems a lot to me but im no expert, should i be worried? She's still active enough, not like she was but still looks to come out sometimes not as often as usual though.

Plus, she's always out looking for food the same days every week but wont take it. She would never take rats but would show interest before realising what it was, well she's doing the same with mice now show interest until she gets a sniff then goes away from it. Im going to get multis at the begining of the month but not sure what to do until then. Im thinking of getting a couple of hamsters/gerbils but will they make her stick her nose up at the multis?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 16/01/2011 : 09:50:26
i would try what u uses to do and get them wet, wont hurt her at all to try it, and if she takes it wet, then u now she is a fussy little devil that will only take them wet lol
sandi Posted - 16/01/2011 : 09:06:14
I got Flo back on food by giving her a much smaller meal, large mice, (seemed small to me) she took 2 last night with 2 big strikes.
Maybe worth youu getting something smaller.
nok1888 Posted - 16/01/2011 : 01:15:46
quote:
no point agonising over what the awkward little git will take or not!

Heh heh lol I'll try her the next time shes looking by warming the mice straight in the water.
n/a Posted - 15/01/2011 : 23:20:09
Umm, well I have had small corns that have refused pinkies and gone for bigger mice ... I've also got big corns that would coil madly round a pinkie!

I've heard that a snake feeding poorly may fancy smaller prey ... on the other hand they are opportunists.

It's very hard to tell with them. And at this time of year a royal's mind just isn't on food ...

Personally I'd try her with whatever you've got in the freezer ... no point agonising over what the awkward little git will take or not!

Good luck and all the best!
nok1888 Posted - 15/01/2011 : 23:12:31
This might sound a daft question but, if a Royal is looking to feed does it look at whats there and whether its worth the effort and wait for bigger to come along?. I dont think so cause she took mice no problem when we got her but thought id ask
n/a Posted - 15/01/2011 : 22:43:32
Good luck Nok, and Orlina.
nok1888 Posted - 15/01/2011 : 22:40:47
I think i'll go back n try that again cheers bats
n/a Posted - 15/01/2011 : 22:27:24
Well, when I was chatting to Surahi's previous owners (who had a lot of experience) they mentioned a snake of theirs who would only eat a hot wet rodent ... worth trying??
nok1888 Posted - 15/01/2011 : 22:23:35
I was thinking it was the temps but she's still looking for food every few days, she sneaks up doing the movements but once she smells it she isnt interested then she tries to sneak around it to get to my hand! And not the ooo im getting out type lol very still slow movements head slowly swaying back and forward like she used to when she was.taking the mice

The only thing i changed in preparing her food is, not knowing the best way, i used to put the mouse straight in the warm water to heat then read it should go into a bag to keep the mouse dry....ive just remembered, the only time she took a weaner rat, after uncoiling she picked it up and dropped it in her water bowl. I wonder if the change to dry mice is why she doesnt take it
n/a Posted - 15/01/2011 : 22:21:29
Hi, know what you mean about temps ... rocket science! Been rushing about adjusting the damn things ...they sure don't seem to adjust themselves lol (not!) funny thing is, my snakes ate okay, or reasonably okay, in the big freeze, but even Saada gannet's gone off her grub now we have higher temps ...

Perhaps it is just the time of year...
nok1888 Posted - 15/01/2011 : 22:13:13
Multi's off the internet will work out cheaper than what im paying for mice at the local shop so cost isnt an issue. She's early 08 and just under 4 ft long. Her skin looks healthy belly scales smooth and a nice colour, ran my finger over her full length belly as she was moving over me no lumps or bumps. The only thing is you can feel her spine. I know she is under weight for her age but at very most she has taken since oct 23 is 2 mice and were about 35g each and that was only on 2 occasions then its been 1 every few weeks but nothing for the past few weeks.

Apart from being able to feel the spine (not overly much) she looks healthy and still likes to come out and sit around my neck now and again
sandi Posted - 15/01/2011 : 22:06:35
Temperatures could be affecting it, I've had a real struggle to keep temps up and in the ice and snow had a drop of 2 degrees. Now that its all toasty in her viv again, she has just eaten for the first time in 5 weeks! maynot be the reason but then again it maybe!
Royalbob Posted - 15/01/2011 : 21:56:53
I'm not sure what loss over what period is deemed normal but personnally if she was eating mice fine for you before i would just wait till she's ready again. Or if you don't mind the cost and multi's are readily available to you you could try her. but really they just start eating again when there ready. Hold old is she? Also wouldn't harm to give here a good check over if you haven't already. good luck.
nok1888 Posted - 15/01/2011 : 21:55:23
Her last decent meal was 23rd october right after the first shed she had with us, before then she ate like a horse on the same day every week without fail so im putting it down to the cold weather because even with the bulb at same temp her hide temps dropped about 4C each because shes at the outside wall and the radiator is at the cold side and i still couldnt get it above 22C. Strangely enough i checked her temps today and they were 33 and 26 dont ask how because bulb stat is at just under 32C. Im just wondering if its because the unstable temps thats stopping her eat
reptiledanny Posted - 15/01/2011 : 21:28:39
thats nothing to worry about really
n/a Posted - 15/01/2011 : 21:18:59
Good luck - I'm not knowledgeable about this, despite Saada joining her two mates in the funny feeding club this week.

Has Orlina had a motion/wee? judging by the amount they do, when they go, I imagine it can affect their weight dramatically. Saada COVERED a corner of her viv the other day, though as far as I know she's not shedding. Think she's lost about 25% of her bodyweight.

Blackecho will know.
nok1888 Posted - 15/01/2011 : 21:15:27
She was 1285 now 1195-1200 so not that big for her age to start with
reptiledanny Posted - 15/01/2011 : 21:10:25
what did she weigh before the fast? and how much does she weigh now

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000