The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help needed with heating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 16/01/2011 : 22:55:59
I have a 60 watt red reflector bulb (and a spare 40 watt red reflector bulb for summer) and the advice was to have the lamp 14 hours on, 10 hours off overnight. Leaving the whole viv to slowly drop to room temperature overnight. My average room temperature is 20-22 degrees. Now by all advice on here thats dropping too cold overnight. I had a similar setup when I first started with corn snakes but fitted a heat mat for an overnight heat source but know that royals are too big bodied to risk a heat mat (even though he is only small at the moment and it would most likely be OK).

So to the question bit, is it OK to run a red reflector bulb 24 hours a day? It is not a IR bulb from what I can make out on the box, I don't know if that makes a difference but if it needs to be an IR bulb I will get one.

I thought it would be a 24 hour thing but the advice from the store has confused me a bit so I throw it out to the wise ones.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 17/01/2011 : 00:37:21
LOL! Nice one, Lotabob!
Lotabob Posted - 17/01/2011 : 00:05:47
Good way of looking at it. Its amazing that some snakes can be so grumpy when they cant see red.
n/a Posted - 16/01/2011 : 23:46:30
The way I look at it is, they're all rep heating bulbs. And if they're red, the snake won't be disturbed by them ...
Lotabob Posted - 16/01/2011 : 23:40:16
I thought that and thats what I have been doing but a seed of doubt was planted so thought I'd just get someone to tell me I'm right basically and put my mind at rest. The whole red light/IR light must be a wavelength thing but to be honest, I've no idea either.
n/a Posted - 16/01/2011 : 23:03:14
Yes - of course. You need to run the red bulb 24/7. (The snake can't 'see' red light as 'light' so you won't stress him out.)

I confess I'm a bit confused as to IR heat/red heat bulbs myself, but you definitely need that heat on all the time.

Uhh ...I'm not wise, by the way, but thought I'd answer anyway!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000