The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 First feed...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ballgirl Posted - 21/01/2011 : 09:11:54
... hasn't happened yet, but I wanted to share our experiences with someone and you guys seem the best people to do that with!

Was told when we got Mr Yellow Belly (can't wait until he has a name!) that he was a great strike feeder and is ready for a feed on Wednesday. Was told to feed him then and if we want to move him to weekend feeds (which we do because I work away Monday-Friday and I want to be involved) then we should wait do that at next feed. I thought it might be a bit soon, but hubby tried to feed him on Wed night without success, so I was planning to try again on Sunday night - is this ok or too soon?

Thanks
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NandKdev Posted - 22/01/2011 : 22:17:30
Yeah but we have small furry things as pets too, you can never be too careful. Your right clothes we think are too extreme and the gel is for hygiene reasons as well. We are lucky Monty is very tame!
Royalbob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 22:10:31
I think your hand not smelling like a mouse or rat is the only concern. As Hodgie said their not dogs. clothing in vivs is way extreme and won't tame your royal any quicker. Anti bac gel is more good practice for the keeper and snake than scent affiliation.
NandKdev Posted - 22/01/2011 : 21:55:48
When we first got Monty we were so tempted to get him out, the guys advice on here to leave him a week with no disturbance and then do his feed before handling worked a treat. He feed first time and couple days later when handled was so active and inquisitive.

Someone suggested putting a t-shirt in the viv so they get use to our smell. We have been using an anti-bac hand gel before handling so he does not pick up on the scent from our other animals but it is also good as any guests we have around who want a hold, use the gel and that way it is always the same smell every time he is handled even by different people.
hodgie Posted - 21/01/2011 : 20:03:28
quote:
Originally posted by ballgirl

That's a shame. I was hoping maybe that if he got used to us and our smell a bit, it might help with his overall comfort. But we will be patient.

that will work with a cat or dog but not a royal.
Kelfezond Posted - 21/01/2011 : 10:58:22
I've heard people who put gloves and hats and stuff in their snakes vivs to let them get used to the scent. Not sure how much truth is to that :P
ballgirl Posted - 21/01/2011 : 10:54:39
That's a shame. I was hoping maybe that if he got used to us and our smell a bit, it might help with his overall comfort. But we will be patient.
Blackecho Posted - 21/01/2011 : 10:40:47
I wouldn't handle until he had had a couple of feeds.

Some snakes (Royals in particular) don't take well to handling and especially as yours has already refused a feed, you wouldn't want to stress them out more. Obviously they are all different and some will tolerate it better than others.
ballgirl Posted - 21/01/2011 : 09:58:41
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

Thanks Blackecho

On a different subject, when would be a reasonable time to try handling for the first time? Can we get him out this weekend for a few mins, or would that be too soon?
Blackecho Posted - 21/01/2011 : 09:35:05
I wouldn't offer more often than every 5 days, you may just stress out a snake that is already stressed by the move. If you want to move to a weekend feed then I'd just wait until the following weekend to offer. Leave the snake alone to settle in.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000