The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Plantation soil

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
martinking6 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 12:45:45
Hiya

Just setting up my brb set up and I have some plantation soil left over, would it do any harm to use it in my royal python viv if I was just to use a little bit in the front corner to help with the humidity and I would imagine he will enjoy burrowing in it ?

My humidity in there is low 40`s usually so having to use damp moss to bring it up each day

Martin
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptiledanny Posted - 23/01/2011 : 18:52:57
u dont have to take it out, just make sure its not to wet, so either ring it out dry, or bake it
martinking6 Posted - 23/01/2011 : 17:08:09
Hiya

He seems to really enjoy playing in it so would be a shame if it has to come back out, caught him playing in it twice today as well

From watching him since I bought him there didnt seem any real need for the extra humidity until I want to assist his shedding and hes been perfectly happy living at room humidity but if a little more helps then am cool to try it, he was at a steady 42% before and now at 51% at the moment so dropping slowly throughout the day

One thing I will say though is when I bought him he was part way through a shed which I ended up helping him to come through, then he went straight into another which was done within a few days so hopefully showing that things am doing have helped

Martin
reptiledanny Posted - 23/01/2011 : 14:56:05
this is more a question for BE, but it fits in here
do u actually need the extra himudity?? i have all my royals at room humidity and i do not measure it. should i?

to answer the op question, as long as you bake the soil so that it is not wet, the yes it would be fine
Lotabob Posted - 23/01/2011 : 14:05:32
Sounds like just the job then. Glad Earl liked it.
martinking6 Posted - 23/01/2011 : 11:25:45
Just thought I would let ya know I put a bit in last night in the front corner of his viv on the cool side and he loves it, he did his usual trick and come over for a nosy as I was messing and then head first burrowed straight in to it coming up with a head full of soil 10 seconds later looking very pleased with himself lol

Humidity is 56% as well now so worked a treat

Martin
Lotabob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 21:00:22
Moisture on the ground isn't advisable as a precaution against scale rot, but personally, I have moss that I mist should it need it and the Royal does go over it so I dont see why not providing the majority of the substrate is dry. If its safe and clean enough for one snake I'm sure it would be OK for all snakes.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000