The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Light in the viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
konrad1982 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 15:25:33
As I'm just getting my new viv ready to use I have got one question about the light in the viv. Is it a big problem if the viv is quite dark (even during the day)? To heat the viv I'm gonna use IR bulb (24/7) but as many people say - snakes can't see the red light. Will it be ok to use just a IR bulb as a heat and light source?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Royalbob Posted - 23/01/2011 : 23:32:30
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I agree, in their natural habitat the ambient air temp at night is still very high. I'm going to fly in the face of the advice I've been given by the rep shop and ebay myself a ceramic set up (already done) and just use the mat as a temporary fix and keep it as an amergency heat source should anything happen to my bulbs etc.

Right decision. Be careful with some rep shops they really haven't got a clue.
Absolutely no need to run a heat mat in a viv along side a IR or ceramic bulb.
These bulbs do the same thing which is create a hot spot and provide the correct ambient temp for a royal python. It's down to preference wether you want to see a red light or not. I ran mine with a ceramic and pulse thermostat.
Mats inside of vivs can actually be dangerous as they are not waterproof and when a large snake such as a royal urinates it can electrocute itself.
konrad1982 Posted - 23/01/2011 : 21:56:08
OK guys - cheers for all the answers. I decicded to stay with my IR bulb for now. I also noticed that it may be a bit darker in the viv because of the weather so nice and sunny day + IR bulb should work perfect. Thanks again.
Lotabob Posted - 23/01/2011 : 15:40:14
I agree, in their natural habitat the ambient air temp at night is still very high. I'm going to fly in the face of the advice I've been given by the rep shop and ebay myself a ceramic set up (already done) and just use the mat as a temporary fix and keep it as an amergency heat source should anything happen to my bulbs etc.
Royalbob Posted - 23/01/2011 : 15:12:38
Heat mats won't pick up more than 2 degrees in ambient temp so in a cold house this could mean the ambient dropping down to low. Ceramic bulb's are an alternative to IR bulbs if the red light bothers the snake. I use mats and rubs but had vivs in the past. I guess it's whatever works for you. I'm just a believer that the ambient temp shouldn't drop or vary so much.
Lotabob Posted - 23/01/2011 : 15:04:46
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

if you are to use another bulb in the viv, it will need to be guarded, as if the snake was to wrap its body around the bulb, it could smash it, it may not need statted, but would need guarding

YEP, very good point.
reptiledanny Posted - 23/01/2011 : 15:03:22
im a bit late replying, but i put my two penith in
yes, a snake does need a light spectrum, to be able to tell night and day
an ir bulb would prob give them enough light in the viv as i now plenty of people just using them
if you are to use another bulb in the viv, it will need to be guarded, as if the snake was to wrap its body around the bulb, it could smash it, it may not need statted, but would need guarding
Lotabob Posted - 23/01/2011 : 01:00:33
I switch my light off on a night. I use a heat mat at the moment on a night. This is the reccommended set up from my reptile shop(almost, the shop said to put the mat on the underneath of the vivarium).

It is so difficult to know what is best for your animal when you get so much information that contradicts itself.

I wanted a ceramic heater but was assured a heat mat was the way to go to keep temps up at night, I know they don't heat the ambient. Its mental, I don't want the red bulb anymore thats for sure, I don't like it and more importantly Duke doesn't like it.

(edited to avoid contradictary waffle )
Royalbob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 23:49:20
Thats fine then. also the IR bulb is the heat source so you don't switch it off. It's just attached to a dimming thermostat.
konrad1982 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 23:07:58
Yes - for me it's light enough in the room but when I switch off my IR bulb and try to see what's going on in the viv it's really hard to see anything inside.
Royalbob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 22:51:31
I don't know your room but if it's light enough for you to walk in during the day without putting the light on it's fine.
konrad1982 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 22:46:24
So even if in my eyes it seems to be very, very dark in the viv it may be still all right for my snake? If not this IR bulb even I couldn't see anything inside the viv that's why I'm worrying.
Royalbob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 22:38:17
quote:
Originally posted by konrad1982

I thought exactly the same when I was planning to build a viv but now it looks a bit different and even during the day it seems to be not enough light so as Lotabob has suggested I'll probably try to use LED bulb as they don't use too much energy and I won't need any guard. I'm only thinking which colour would be the best cool white, day white or warm white. What do you think about somethink like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1x-GU10-LED-BULB-COOL-WHITE-21-LEDs-SAME-DAY-DESPATCH-/180579883052?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item2a0b66582c

no need. also ball pythons cannot make out the red light as a color because they cannot see the red spectra but will still see/' sense the heat signature.
Royalbob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 22:29:28
quote:
Originally posted by konrad1982

I have got a window in that room but unfortunatelly the only corner where I can place my viv is by the wall under the window which means that only just a little light from outside can get into my viv. In my eyes it seems to be too dark. I thought that IR bulb will sort the problems with heating and with light but now I'm confused what to do. If I want to use white light I will probably need another stat and that's not the best news for me :(

Thats fine konrad, once the rooms receiving light it's ok. And as mentioned it's better than being in the direct path. They would be in there burrows during the day but just need that photo period as do most living things diurnal or nocturnal.
konrad1982 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 22:17:14
I thought exactly the same when I was planning to build a viv but now it looks a bit different and even during the day it seems to be not enough light so as Lotabob has suggested I'll probably try to use LED bulb as they don't use too much energy and I won't need any guard. I'm only thinking which colour would be the best cool white, day white or warm white. What do you think about somethink like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1x-GU10-LED-BULB-COOL-WHITE-21-LEDs-SAME-DAY-DESPATCH-/180579883052?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item2a0b66582c
NandKdev Posted - 22/01/2011 : 21:37:27
we have an IR bulb as heat and light source. It stays on 24/7! I'm sure Monty can see it, everytime I try to take a photo he goes towards the little red light on the camera. As far as I knew they can see the light but it is very dim. They do need a photo period as they are nocturnal, Monty get's light from the window, but also of an evening we are in the room and have the main light on so he gets light from that too. Snakes in generally don't like, shouldn't have too much light, as it can blind them. That is why your suppose to use a IR red light as it does not emit too much light as to injure them, so fact that it is a bit dull under the window might be ideal.
Lotabob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 21:26:51
You can use a LED or energy saving bulb they give off practically no heat, well nonee that would have any effect on your setup. It doesn't need to be direct sunlight, in fact thats not a good idea as the temperature will rise a lot and the dimmer wont shut the curtains for you when it gets too hot. I've learnt pretty quickly that Royals dont appear to like light so a little bit of daylight just enough to show what is day and what is night is fine.
konrad1982 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 21:10:37
I have got a window in that room but unfortunatelly the only corner where I can place my viv is by the wall under the window which means that only just a little light from outside can get into my viv. In my eyes it seems to be too dark. I thought that IR bulb will sort the problems with heating and with light but now I'm confused what to do. If I want to use white light I will probably need another stat and that's not the best news for me :(
Lotabob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 18:48:53
They absolutley do need to know whats day and whats night so as Royalbob says a window will do it or some sort of WHITE light to mimick daylight will be fine. I have a red bulb its not IR and no matter what is said, Duke can see it and won't leave his hide unless its switched off. I am currently experimenting with alternate heat sources but as a backup while I find a suitable night time heat source I'm using a heat mat. I am going to try a full IR bulb first, if that doesn't work I'll be converting the light fitting to one suitable for ceramic heaters and going down that route. Fussy little gits these royals are. I'm lucky that I don't mind the cost as long as I get a setup that Duke is happy in.
Royalbob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 18:27:10
As long as the room has a window or artificial light source to replicate some sort of photo period. They don't need Uv light but I believe a photo period is important. Interested to see what others think also.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000