The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 What size hides?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ballgirl Posted - 24/01/2011 : 16:46:25
Weighed our Royal at the weekend, as we were disturbing him anyway to move him into a Rub. He's 296g and I reckon about 2ft in length.

I'm pretty sure at least one of the hides we have is too big so would like to get a smaller one, but not sure what to go for? I don't know what make the ones we have are, but they look like big grey rock outcrops (see pic). He seems to manage to fit in only half the space and it has quite a big door, so wanted to get one at least with a smaller opening to make him feel more secure...

Do you think he'd fit into one of the exo terra snake caves (the 2 part ones)? If so, which size?

I've no idea how I'll provide hides when he's 4ft, maybe the ones I have will work, but would at least like to get the right ones for now.

Any advice?
Thanks

Oops, forgot pic!

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 24/01/2011 : 21:28:31
Flo has a couple of bits of bark, both are sort of domed in shape and she is very happy in them. She seemes to prefer the tight fit of the smaller one and will wear it like a tortoise shell! They came from a local reptile shop and are cheaper than the brand name stuff.
I'm planning to make her a hide from clay when she is fully grown but resisting the temptation until then!
konrad1982 Posted - 24/01/2011 : 20:03:04
My 130g Royal stays in exo terra medium and looks pretty happy. If I were you I would go for one of them (never the small one for 2ft snake).
ballgirl Posted - 24/01/2011 : 19:45:24
Just picked one of those hides up from Pets at Home for £5.99. :)
ballgirl Posted - 24/01/2011 : 17:29:14
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

Thats fine just another option.

And I'm thankful for the reply :)
hodgie Posted - 24/01/2011 : 17:23:22
Thats fine just another option.
ballgirl Posted - 24/01/2011 : 17:20:46
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

I used to buy proper hides but they just arent practical as your snake continues to grow, there are many other things you can use though like plastic plant pots. You can use cardboard boxs or plastic tubs (unside down, old margerine tubs are fine) as he gets bigger cereal boxs are good and they dont cost any money. At the end of the day you`ll find he wont be fussy as long as the hide is small and tight fitting, Card boxs though are excellent especially for the warm end as they hold the heat nicely.
Ultimately though it depends on you and your choice of visually pleasing to your eye or not, either way your snake wont care.

Yeah, we seem to have a severe lack of boxes in our house at the moment though! I think I'd rather make it look a bit realistic though, even if he is in a Rub at the moment!
Kelfezond Posted - 24/01/2011 : 17:16:35
My only dislike to those is there isnt anything you can lift them up by, valhalla has a tendancy to bite when I suprise her and I like a hide that can double as a shield lol.

Onto your question though, I am using the ones BE linked and they seem to be the perfect fit for my 250g with plenty of room to grow.
ballgirl Posted - 24/01/2011 : 17:13:44
Wow. I knew he'd get in something smaller, although it amazes me how he gets in the corner one we have for him, but never dreamed he'd still fit in a small exo terra hide! Will get medium, as you say, but still... wow.

I really have lost respect for the guy who sold us the kit, he said he would be too big for exo terra ones and suggested these massive things.
hodgie Posted - 24/01/2011 : 17:13:34
I used to buy proper hides but they just arent practical as your snake continues to grow, there are many other things you can use though like plastic plant pots. You can use cardboard boxs or plastic tubs (unside down, old margerine tubs are fine) as he gets bigger cereal boxs are good and they dont cost any money. At the end of the day you`ll find he wont be fussy as long as the hide is small and tight fitting, Card boxs though are excellent especially for the warm end as they hold the heat nicely.
Ultimately though it depends on you and your choice of visually pleasing to your eye or not, either way your snake wont care.
Blackecho Posted - 24/01/2011 : 16:49:39
Could probably still get away with the small exo terra ones, but may as well get the medium ones, will last a bit longer.

Like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXO-TERRA-REPTILE-HIDE-OUT-CAVE-MEDIUM-VIVARIUMS-/150359617847?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item230221b137

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000