The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Problem solved

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 27/01/2011 : 20:14:54
I have been having some issues with heating etc but have found a solution and it seems to have worked almost immediately.

I ditched the idea of a ceramic heat bulb and decided to try out a full IR bulb. I put it in this afternoon and no sooner was the viv door shut Duke decided he was coming out to explore. So I have just had my first 30 minutes of just sitting watching him going round, checking things out and having a bit of a bask in the hot spot. He is sitting watching me as I type, he's such a handsome fella and has a marking on his side that looks just like ET. I also bought him a exo terra hide as a sorry for been a bit rubbish and taking 2 weeks to get his setup right. I have higher hopes for his feed on Sunday but still keeping my feet on the ground until he has his chops firmly around the rats head.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lotabob Posted - 29/01/2011 : 19:34:40
Yeah I had to turn the stat down a bit to keep same temps but the wattage was higher, and I've just ordered another higher wattage bulb as it will need it should it drop seriously cold again.

sandi Posted - 29/01/2011 : 19:14:36
Totaly with you now, just put IR bulb in an although i dont have the same temp readings. (need to sort that out) I am so glad i made the transition. Flo seemed to act more relaxed, like it was night! Normaly have to dim the lights in the room before she will come out but now she is out ealier and with room light on.

Nice pic mate!
Royalbob Posted - 28/01/2011 : 15:58:02
Nice pic lotabob
reptiledanny Posted - 28/01/2011 : 08:22:44
Ol lota, love the photo, and its good to hear that you have finally got ur setup correct and duke is loving it. The snakes can be the harshest critics sometimesl
Lotabob Posted - 27/01/2011 : 23:50:34

Snakey in red.....
Lotabob Posted - 27/01/2011 : 23:41:14
The one I got is the Komodo 75 watt infra red spot. I'm very impressed and it has a bayonet fixing too which means I didn't have to shell out for an adaptor. And as critics go Duke is the most fussy snake in the world for lighting conditions and he gave his approval.

I have glass double doors leading from my living room to the bedroom so i can see the red light but it doesn't disturb me, granted I have the advantage of eyelids but red beats white light.
Dlanefox Posted - 27/01/2011 : 23:32:08
I ordered an ir today set up viv yesterday when I turned day light off and basking light was still on I thought would I like that when it was supposed to be dark?
Royalbob Posted - 27/01/2011 : 23:25:04
Congrats on sorting it Lotabob. Yeh there's basically 3 types of red bulb.
1. Cheap red bulb which is just a painted glass bulb which after a short time let's light through.

2. True red glass (not painted or coated) for better heat transfer. Color will not fade or wear off. This should be the same amount of light emitting as a I.R bulb

I.R bulb that also sometime come with a spot on them so they help create a hot spot as well as raise the ambient. This and true red glass shouldn't disturb the nocturnal habits of snakey letting us watch them do their thing.
Lotabob Posted - 27/01/2011 : 22:41:05
OK, update, he's been out and about, gone and checked out the new hide positions and even come and peered out into the room through the glass.

It is very apparent that Infra red is so much better than just red. Now comes the MASSIVE finger crossing session leading upto Sunday and the big feed.
Lotabob Posted - 27/01/2011 : 21:21:32
I'm so pleased, its like he is a totally different snake already. I'm over the moon but it just makes me even more mad for having the setup so wrong. I'm guessing that he is used to the IR bulb and that the red bulb I got with the setup was (almost certainly) given off some white light on the sly. So yeah it does appear the IR is the way to go. As an added bonus the corn snake seems to like his hand me down heat mat too, so today is a good day.
mischang Posted - 27/01/2011 : 20:35:18
congrats on sorting it ,i must admit on my fav and i know i shouldnt say that but Sid has a IR bulb so ican see him more its nice just to sit a relax watching them , as for the 2 weeks it does take time to get it just right ,also if you change sbstrate u may need to have a play again , but well done
sandi Posted - 27/01/2011 : 20:34:04
Oh how lovely to be apreciated! bet you feel good now! So IR bulbs are the way forward then? I have a red bulb but ordered an IR from ebay 2 days ago so hoping for a similar reaction. I thought until recently that i had an IR until someone mentioned the diference...you just dont always know what your getting when your like me...ignorant!

Good for you duke, enjoy your new set up!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000