The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Spraying Precious

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
csn Posted - 01/02/2011 : 13:11:53
hello guys. when i picked up precious i was told i should spray her either a little every day or a big spray twice a week.

what are you opions on this and what should i do.

hopefully i will do the right thing.

cheers

csn
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 01/02/2011 : 21:52:53
I agree too, i dont need to spray unless flo is about to shed in which case i spray the walls of the viv and add a damp hide and extra water dish. I use orchid bark as a substrate which i partially dry out before adding but as it gets dryer, if the humidity gets below 45-50 i would tip a bit of water out of the dish when i change the water.
CoN Posted - 01/02/2011 : 16:20:34
Agreed as above. You only spray/mist the enclosure when you need to increase the humidity. Here in the UK the humidity isn't a big issue. Only thing that lowers the humidity is like Bob said certain bulbs and there is ways to correct it. Ive seen LOADS of topics, videos and pet shops saying you need to spray the ball pythons enclosure daily/weekly. Its because most of them are in the States where the humidity is naturally very low and need to be sprayed every day to get and keep the humidity at the 50-60% range. But now pet shops sees this and they just assume you have to it, not really knowing WHY.
Blackecho Posted - 01/02/2011 : 14:44:27
I have never sprayed a Royal.
Royalbob Posted - 01/02/2011 : 14:15:49
Do you mean just during a shed cycle? There is no need to spray a royal every day you will cause other problems. Is she in a rub or viv and what is the heating source. Rubs will hold the humidity a bit better as they are just heated by mats. Certain bulbs will tend to dry the air out in a viv and you might need to spray a couple times / week max . It's also better to spray the Walls and decor than the snake. Their skin is water proof and they don't hydrate through it. A constantly damp royal will be more probe to diseases such as scale rot. If you check the humidity your aiming at between 50-60%.
mischang Posted - 01/02/2011 : 13:52:10
i did spray when i first started as i was told to via the pet shop , but little Sid who is a shy lad was scared out of his wits so i made a damp hide and he shed great now and feels safe knows i'm not about to spray him to death lol . i always have the damp hide in but wet it every few weeks when they due to shed so it double as a cool hide when they dont need the extra dampness.
n/a Posted - 01/02/2011 : 13:36:19
Hi, there are a few views on this. Personally I don't spray at all. When a snake's eyes clear after blue, I provide a damp hide and keep the water bowl in the warm end to up humidity. Except for my male, who has a damp hide permanently in his cool end because his first sheds were poor. One of my girls doesn't even use the damp hide but she shed well; I've yet to see my other girl shed; don't know about her yet. Some people spray every day when the snake's eyes have cleared, again to up humidity and help shedding, some measure and monitor humidity regularly, but usually normal room humidity is fine for a royal unless on the point of shedding.

Sorry if this is a bit inconclusive, but I find that what I do works for me - once you get to know your snake you will get into a routine that suits the snake. I don't think you need to spray Precious every day, but that's just my opinion, there may be others, and hopefully there will be more experienced people along soon. Sorry if I overlap with anyone else, by the way.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000