The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 8balls viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
blair mckellican Posted - 01/02/2011 : 16:16:50
i recently purchased a 15 wat exo terra night glo bulb for my 2 foot viv and was just wondering if this is the right size of wattage for the size as it is rather dull and not very bright?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
blair mckellican Posted - 02/02/2011 : 13:35:13
Thanks alot i will go have a look at it on the forum band see whta happens?
n/a Posted - 02/02/2011 : 13:00:01
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Here you go Bats :)

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4500

Thanks Kelfezond.
Kelfezond Posted - 02/02/2011 : 12:35:52
Here you go Bats :)

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4500
n/a Posted - 02/02/2011 : 11:43:12
Hi, Blair, if you go back to the bottom of page 8 or top of page 9 (sorry I've never learned to post links) on this general keeping forum, you'll see a thread entitled 'heat mat in viv' by millar69er. These guys explain the whole mat versus bulb debate far better than I can. It gives you a clearer picture and a lot of info about heating; I learned a lot from it - I had already decided to switch my first royal over to IR, but it was good to be able to make an informed choice.

If you wanted a coloured bulb for illumination only, LED might be a possibility?

Hope you get sorted.
blair mckellican Posted - 02/02/2011 : 01:28:21
Burned so you think i should just get rid of my heat at and stick an IR bulb on a dimming stat and it should be enough heat, i had a royal before the one i have now and had to take it back to the shop as it was jumpy and kept going for me and the guy in the shop said it was to warm and was just getting irratated by the heat.. And he said i would not need a IR bulb, all im wating is a nice red or blue bulb for the viv so any sugestions?

thanks
n/a Posted - 02/02/2011 : 00:50:35
Hi, an IR bulb, guarded and statted with dimmer or pp stat, is considered better for a royal in a viv, rather than a mat. Owing to the thickness of a royal's girth as it grows from hatchling size, a snake basking on the mat can cause thermal blocking even on a statted mat. The mat can malfunction and overheat, and the snake, whose chief heat sense is in the 'pits' beneath its nostrils (for detecting prey) may not sense burning to its body until it is badly injured.

Sorry if this sounds like scaremongering, but I'm afraid it's true. It makes me very cross that we humans can buy safe electric blankets and bask on them all we like, but we cannot buy safe heat mats for royals!

So I for one would personally recommend IR or ceramic bulb heat. In fact I have two vivs, both heated by the red bulbs, in my bedroom, and don't find it a problem. Quite handy in the small hours, in fact, after a few relaxing beers ...
blair mckellican Posted - 02/02/2011 : 00:18:58
yeah i have a heat mat on a stat,and was wanting a IR bulb but the guy in the shop told me i would just need heat mat and thermostat thats all?
reptiledanny Posted - 01/02/2011 : 20:25:02
i ahve used that bulb, the exact same for my crestie.
i used the 15 watt, unstatted (i now, but it didn't move the temps much, or at leasnt not enough to hurt at all) and the range i got from it was 70-77 degrees farenhiet, so no was near enough for a royal, but did look good for light
Royalbob Posted - 01/02/2011 : 19:26:53
Great link for people CoN.
as it's a viv if your heating it with a bulb and want to view your royal at night best way to go is a guarded I.R bulb attached to a thermostat. Unless it's where the light will disturb you during your sleep. But then again just cover the viv.
blair mckellican Posted - 01/02/2011 : 17:10:25
thanks alot mate
CoN Posted - 01/02/2011 : 16:51:25
Dont think so, but then I havent used these bulbs before so I cant tell. You just want to use it for viewing?
Found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghJXcu8onOQ&NR=1 (03:05)
Hope it helps.
blair mckellican Posted - 01/02/2011 : 16:37:28
so the glow will not really be much no?
CoN Posted - 01/02/2011 : 16:26:52
Ive never used one of these, so I cant really say, but it does say "The bulb simulates natural moonlight" and to be honest you cant really see that good in the moonlight either.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000