The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 OOPS! misting + IR bulb = ???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lotabob Posted - 03/02/2011 : 19:24:50
I was spraying mist into the viv, switched off the bulb as I am aware of the danger of water and electricity. Anyway sprayed the foliage and CRACK, some of the mist must have hit the hot bulb and cooled it so quick it cracked.

I only mist when humidity drops very low (40% or less) so its something I only do once a blue moon but I make a point of avoiding the bulb but obviously not good enough. By some strange miracle I had just taken delivery of a spare the day before so that was lucky.

Moral of the story, IR bulbs are delicate and don't take well to been misted.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
infatuateddrummer Posted - 04/02/2011 : 18:53:59
I shall get another digital thermostat to measure the ambient temp!! Tho sayin that damien is in cool end now and warm probe is at 30c
Lotabob Posted - 04/02/2011 : 00:38:53
Oh the stats are liars for sure. My digi therm's are great but even those have the ability to fib a bit, put the two probes together and you'll soon see they measure slightly differently.

I don't know where 35 came from I wrote it and thought it for a minute too (???) but I always aim for 32 degrees, and have it at 32, momentary lapse of grey matter fried by a really long and awful day. If my hotspot hits 32 degrees the ambient just falls into line at 25-27.

The 100 watt casts a wider hotspot but its not as hot as the smaller 75 watt hotspot. The bulb itself is hotter though so ambient goes up. I like my 75 watt bulb and will stock up on them as I seem to have a knack for breaking them.
I'm going to get a bag of spagnum moss in and divide it up, throw a bit in because one thing I have noticed is IR bulb sucks the humidity out of the vivarium.
sandi Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:35:56
Mine has fluctuated dramaticaly in the past month as our weather has changed so my house has gone very cold in the day as we are at work so no heating on, at night its warmer, heating on, so poor old flo is confused! Now its mild and so i have turned the stat down to where it tells me its 84 degrees, whereas last week it told me it was 95 but hadnt reached 80. In othetr words, i dont believe my stat, it lies like a cheating hussy! Now my digi therm i like, he speaketh the truth and the truth is 84 degrees in the middle!
I also have the odd conversation with my laser gun thing and he just talks with forked tongue and does my head right in!
Royalbob Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:32:36
Your looking for a gradient of 26 a 32. From cool side to hot spot. The shape or size of bulbs will alter what hot spot they create and the direction of heat they disperse. Adequate and correct air flow should balance things up. As bats said just a little tweaking and time to settle should sort thugs out. I used to just keep a small take away tub with some moss in the viv that way you can just spray the moss to increase the humidity whenever needed.
infatuateddrummer Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:27:45
My viv is big 4ft tank too
infatuateddrummer Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:24:18
Well I got a digital thermometer in the warm end?? it up those temps I said I think I need to get another digital thermometer to put in the cold side to measure ambient and one in the hot spot!! Is that correct?? Thank u
Lotabob Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:18:10
I aim for an ambient of around 25-27 (it depends how warm the room is as to where it is) and I aim to get my hotspot bang on 35, it too wanders by 0.1-0.2 degrees at times like opening the door but the stat is brilliant at keeping it pretty constant. Or it was until I broke the bulb.

30 seems a litle bit high but as long as its not constantly up that high it should be OK, I've spent some time in Africa and I remember sitting in a bar at night and it been 32 degrees at 1am so it will do them no harm. How do you measure your ambient temp? I have my ambient thermometer probe in the back corner of the cold end of the viv, just behind a hide and covered by foliage so none of the heat is direct heat from the bulb.
infatuateddrummer Posted - 03/02/2011 : 23:01:11
What should the ambient temp be?? I got 60 watt ceramic but not heating well so will put my 75watt IR bulb in on sat!! At moment my ambient is only 24c but when heating is on in house it raises to 30c
Lotabob Posted - 03/02/2011 : 22:39:03

My stat is sat at max at the moment (it was almost there before with the 75 watt), raging. Will sort out another 75 watt bulb as 100 watt has sent ambient up to 27.5 from 25.2 and the hot spot is now 32.4 from 35.0 So the bulb runs hotter so ambient goes up but the hotspots heat isn't quite as concentrated. Gone from almost perfect to not quite right in less than 24 hours.
n/a Posted - 03/02/2011 : 22:23:13
You might need to keep tweaking the stat - dratted things! You can't go by what they tell you the temp is, and now the bulb you've fitted is more powerful. I find I have to keep checking temps every day, despite stats being supposed to do it for us. Good luck, hope you get sorted!
Lotabob Posted - 03/02/2011 : 22:13:44
I've put the 100 watt one in and it seems that the 75 watt one I had was keeping a better hotspot and gradient. Cant work out why but will ponder over it until I think of something logical.
n/a Posted - 03/02/2011 : 22:00:06
quote:
Originally posted by louise32

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

WATT???? OMG, a shocking lesson to the rest of us!

Never mind, it wasn't your volt!

I don't suppose snakey noticed, and now the replacement bulb's fitted, he'll be in his element ...

PMSL

Just brilliant!

Thanks for the plug!
louise32 Posted - 03/02/2011 : 21:39:53
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I don't suppose snakey noticed, and now the replacement bulb's fitted, he'll be in his element ...

PMSL

Just brilliant!
sandi Posted - 03/02/2011 : 21:27:57
Blimey! that must have been a shock! or could have been!

Just had new 100w IR bulb arrive in post today too but now that the outdoor temps have risen i dont need the blooming thing! still, will do for next winter!

n/a Posted - 03/02/2011 : 19:33:37

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000