The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 How to get things started?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueDragon Posted - 11/02/2011 : 09:38:20
Well, it occurs to me after actually seeing one for real that I have no idea what I'm doing with this pulse stat : / I've read how to use them, but basicaly it seems that people just guess?

The things I've learnt about stats are: 1) everyone hates them and thinks they're a right pain in the arse. 2) They seem to be very tempramental, take forever to set up and they like to mess about. and 3) I've learnt that you should ignore the numbers 'cause they don't mean anything (wich is great for me actually!).

Everything is now wired up and it seems to be working (the ceramic bulb is heating up) but how do I go about getting things started? I have a Microclimate pulse stat, model B2 if that makes a difference. Is there somewhere that I should have the little key thing to start off with? Any tips people have tried to have it at the right temprature? I've never used a stat before so despite reading about them it turns out I'm compleatly clueless about them : /

Oh, but I know that the senser should be at ground level of the hot end... is that, at least, right?

I'm going to set the viv up as it will be when Tig is living in it, so that needs to be sorted first, so I just need to know for when it is.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlueDragon Posted - 13/02/2011 : 09:53:53
Well, I feel like a right nancy now...

My mam explained to me yesterday about the temprature numbers, I still don't get it but she's says they're both the same thing. I figured I'm trying to think of them as numbers and they're not numbers they're tempratures, so things must work differently? Anywho, I now know what I'm doing!

And yes, the smell was the bulb. Was told it's like when you turn an oven on for the first time. So last night I had it turned on for a 'burning out' period and after a few minuets the smell went away. Today I'll try to get everything sorted and fitted in and then I can try to get the tempratures right.

Tig is now pretty much back to his normal-breathing self. I can't even hear him breathing through his nose like I could, so I'm reducing his steaming right down and I'm going to quit it all together either by the end of today or tomorrow (I'm still being a bit causious). So I'm going to try getting the temps at 90 hot end and 80 cool end like it should be : )Yey!

Thank you for all the help, and sorry I'm so thick : / I'll keep updating and maybe there'll even be photos up soon too ; )
blackskull Posted - 13/02/2011 : 09:03:06
i had i slight smell coming of my ceramic for a little whlie when i turned it on i put it down to burning dust and oil off as lotabob says i also thing it was comoing from the coating on the gard but after a while it stopped
Royalbob Posted - 12/02/2011 : 23:14:40
As above. The 94F hot end and 84F cool end was for while your little one gets over the last of his R.I. As you need the temps up a few degrees. It helps with there immune system especially if on medication. After there all better reduce temps to 90 and 80F.
Lotabob Posted - 12/02/2011 : 21:55:18
I don't think its anything to worry about ceramic heating bulbs heat up and burn off any dust and even the oils you left on it when you touched it. Like turning on electric fires for the first time. If it still smells in half an hour then you can worry.

(you beat me to it while I was typing lol)
Blackecho Posted - 12/02/2011 : 21:49:17
Ceramic bulbs often smell when first using them.
sandi Posted - 12/02/2011 : 21:40:57
Centigrade and fahrenheit. Best to choose which scale you want to measure in and go with it. I use fahrenheit so 92 in the hot end and 84 in the middle. most stats show an inner ring of numbers in centigrade and an outer ring in fahrenheit so always use the same one and you cant go wrong.
BlueDragon Posted - 12/02/2011 : 10:23:16
No, I'm not : ( But only 'cause when I've turned on the stat and left it there's a smell of burning coming from somewhere. I'm not sure if it's the bulb, maybe just 'cause it's new, the stat 'cause that's new or the wireing. I obviously don't want to leave it on untill I know what's up, just in case I start a fire, so my step-dad is coming over tonight to see if he can fix it for me. I'm really dissapointed. He says that the wires are heat resistant and so they might just be making that smell just as the plastic coating heats up... but he's not sure so he's gunna check anyway.

But thank you for the help! I'm not sure what you mean about making it 32 though... is it not supposed to be at 90 in the hot end??? I can see that there's two sets of numbers on the stat, but they're miles apart from eachother and I don't get them : / 32 seems far to low. Royalbob, you said to have the hot end at 93 didn't you??? I have to admit that I'm confused about that.
But I got where the probe should be right! The thermometer should be where the probe is too? The instructions said to have it in the middle of the viv... have I got that wrong too?

But I will not fear the stat! I will embrace the stat!... but I'm not sure the stat is my friend 'cause it's making me feel proper stupid at the minuet : /

I'm sorry I don't get it : / I hope I'm not being too much of a pain?

Royalbob Posted - 11/02/2011 : 22:32:14
All sorted??
Pulse stats are great.
Lotabob Posted - 11/02/2011 : 18:30:20
Don't fear the stat, embrace the stat, the stat is your friend.

The only real tip is ignore the temp marks on the stat they are a guide at best, and have your stat probe and thermometer probe together, use the thermometer readings to tweak the stat setting.

They are easy to set up, just give yourself a few hours to make tweaks to the settings until you get the desired SURFACE temperature in the hot spot directly underneath the bulb, get that right and ambient etc will all fall into place behind it. 32 degrees centigrade is the magic number (as above). In the first 20 minutes you'll know whether to turn the stat up or down and then its little tweaks until you get it spot on. Once you have it in the right area just check it every few hours as things heat up inside the viv and make any adjustments.
Blackecho Posted - 11/02/2011 : 10:09:09
I don't hate stats and they're not that difficult so don't worry

Set the temp on the stat to roughly the right temperature ~32C, then give it an hour or two to get to temp, check the temperature with a digital thermometer and just adjust the stat dial up or down as required.

And yes, I have my probes at ground level in the hot end.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000