The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Can I Just Clarify?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueDragon Posted - 13/02/2011 : 12:29:40
Just finished Tig's viv set-up...kind of. I can't fit the Hydrometer in through the hole at the back, so my poor step-dad is gunna have to come over again to sort that for me, but the thermometer is in and I think after all the palarver I've been having, and Tig too, that the thermometer is the most important part at the minuet.

I just wanted to clarify, before trying to heat the thing up properly, that I've got everything right.

So here's the viv as a whole...

The hot end (the thermometer sensor is hidden behind the leaves at the back [you can just about see it poking out], just above the stat sensor)...

And the cool end (where he will have his existing hide till he's OK using the bigger ones, then I'll buy him another big one)...

There will be another smaller vine added, but other than that and his hide that he's using at the minuet in his crate that'll be it. So... anything wrong with it???
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlueDragon Posted - 26/02/2011 : 08:57:40
OK, thanks blackskull, and thanks for that link sandi : )

I don't know if I have a glazing company round here (we have loads of framers though, for some reason!). Couldn't go in myself, but if I find out we do have one then I'm sure someone wouldn't mind ringing them to find out. I wonder if someone else from another kind of company would know?

I am going to get the wedges (although I tend to avoid e-bay 'cause I always try to spend money I litraly haven't got! X )), they look much better. Funny 'cause I've never had any problems with viv locks before and always liked using them : / But it's a good job I found out now rather than later 'cause I'm planning on getting a four foot vivexotic viv for my future pair of beardies, and that would mean two sets of scratched glass to fix...
sandi Posted - 26/02/2011 : 08:24:52
Was searching for some bit and pieces on ebay and came up with these viv wedges and remembered this thread!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-BEST-VIVARIUM-GLASS-DOOR-window-lock-RUBBER-WEDGES-/220530872591?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3358aa110f
What a bargain too!
blackskull Posted - 26/02/2011 : 08:14:05
i wasn't around at work when the galss came in, was trying not to machine my fingers off lol. but one of the other joiners said he heard them say they use wire wool and something else that they polish into the glass to remove the scratch. sorry couldn't find out for u but if u pop into a glazing company they would prob b more than happy to tell u how its done
BlueDragon Posted - 23/02/2011 : 09:50:21
blackskull Posted - 22/02/2011 : 17:38:51
there is a way of getting scraches out of toughened glass. when we get glass in if its got a scrach we send it back and they somehow polish it out. i have never thought to ask how they do it but we will be getting a delivery of glass within the next few days so if im there when it comes in i will ask how they do it
BlueDragon Posted - 22/02/2011 : 09:04:09
I don't know about brave X )

The petshop have some boffin lad in on work placment at the minuet who seems to know his electronics and he's having a look see at it. Yesterday he took it away and he's monetering it next to a one of their own to see how it's acting. I haven't got it back yet so they must still be sorting it out. But if it can't be fixed they'll get me a new one (so they say).

Tig had gone into clear last night so I might shove the waterbowl over, like you said, into the hot end a bit and see how that helps him. But his hide is staying nice and moist now he's using the proper big one and not just a bit of bark so that should help too.

I've taken the lock off and replaced it with half a dolly peg. Not totaly satisfyed with it and will be getting some viv wedges, but for now it'll be fine and I've made sure that he won't be able to shove the doors open. The lock has indeed scratched the glass, but it's only a very slight surface scratch so I'm hoping it'll be able to be worked out somehow. I know there's stuff for hiding scratches when some nice person keys your car, but I've never, unfortunatly, heard of anything similar for glass. But, the doors need cleaning and maybe it'll disapear if I just wipe it down *wishful thinking*.
n/a Posted - 21/02/2011 : 11:26:57
Hi, good luck.

Just wanted to add that I read a post last night by Royalbob saying that normal room humidity (which I'd always understood to be sufficient for royals except just prior to shedding) might not be enough - and he ought to know!

Mind you - what is 'normal room humidity'? Possibly in my house, where I don't use the central heating unless the weather's very cold, it's the right humidity, but in a very hot house, or as Bob says with a heatbulb drying the air in a viv, the humidity may not be sufficient, which is where a hydrometer will come in handy. I can only say that shedding's fine nowadays with my lot, with the routine I use, and the water bowl at the hot end to up humidity just before a shed.

But good luck with the evil hydrometer - you're braver than I am!

BlueDragon Posted - 21/02/2011 : 09:32:38
Yeah, I'm going up shortly and I'll take it with me. I just hope they can get a replacment in quickly.

Tig has a damp hide all the time now 'cause I know that's it's supposed to help with shedding... Tig didn't get that memo though. I've never yet had a good shed from him. He is getting better though, so I'm hopfull that soon he'll be giving me whole skins : ) At the minuet he has extra damp moss and I'm just having to feel when to up the humidity (when I feel that it's getting too low). It's anoying 'cause the hydrometer was working fine, as far as I know, in his faunarium and in the crate. It was reading that the humidity was at around 50-55 normaly and when I uped the humidity when he was shedding it read 66-72, something like that. Now I can't get it to go any higher that 45 : / No matter how much I'm spraying in there. And it very quickly lowers the numbers to 33 and seems to like to stick to that. So I'm just having to give up on it.

He's still in blue but I think he'll be clear again soon by the looks of him so I'll let peoples know how this shed goes.

n/a Posted - 20/02/2011 : 12:54:41
Hi, I'm not quite sure what book binders are, but anything small and wedge-like and soft-ish, whether wood, plastic,clothes peg halves, blu-tac or whatever, will work I reckon.

I've heard some horror stories about hydrometers - you're not the only one. Sounds like your gut instinct is far more accurate than the hydrometer you've got at the moment.

As far as I understand it, normal room humidity is fine for royals, even in blue - until they clear. It's then that they do benefit from slightly higher humidity and it's then you can gently up the humidity by providing a damp hide. Rather than spray, I just shift the water bowl into the hot end for faster evaporation. A persistently bad shedder may need a damp hide permanently in the cool end, but most of them do fine with a little extra gentle humidity once they clear. But it does no harm to measure the humidity - i'm afraid I'm a Luddite, and don't lol.

Hope this helps.
BlueDragon Posted - 20/02/2011 : 12:07:42
Thanks everyone. Maybe I've just made up the thing about book binders : /

I think I will go for a wedge instead, the mini ones sound a good idea. I'm going to have to buy Tig's other hide so I can buy a pack at the same time as that.

I'm now having a problem with my hydrometer *rolls eyes* The thing keeps cutting out and I'm certain it isn't reading right (I've tryed a new battery but I've only just got it anyway). It's telling me that the humidity is 33 but if I stick my hand in it's really clammy in a second : / I'm going to send it back and get a new one 'cause that can't be right can it? Seriously, if I spray the viv any more I might as well turn it into a marsh. So for now I'm just going by what my hand is telling me and it's telling me "it feels like a rainforest in there!" Tig is in blue so I want to try and keep the humidity high for him, so this other problem has came at a really bad time : ( *sighs*
n/a Posted - 19/02/2011 : 20:24:21
Damn, GMac, sorry - don't know what's happening to my brain lately!

Why on earth did I think you'd said B&Q??? D'oh!!

While I'm posting, the wedges I use I think are pretty good - they are small, rubber, unobtrusive, shaped like miniature door wedges, I slip them into the glass overlap at bottom track level - they do stay wedged. I got mine from Blue Lizard, 6 for £3 but I reckon many rep retailers would sell something similar.
GMac Posted - 19/02/2011 : 20:13:54
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

i have troble with the lock too. it doesn't fit well between the glass on the vivexotic viv. im thinking of ditching mine and just useing a wedge

Same here! GMac said he found wedges for 25p each in B&Q. I use wedges myself and they work really well.

We did swap over to wedges as they are foolproof and i dont lose the keys for them but they were not from B and Q, was a great wee hardware corner shop, they are great wee places to search out usefull things.
Lotabob Posted - 19/02/2011 : 19:27:42
Cheap and hundreds of them in a pack. Break a clothes peg in half, a perfect wedge. Though I love my viv locks.
sandi Posted - 19/02/2011 : 17:40:09
Blue tack! It works a treat!
blackskull Posted - 19/02/2011 : 11:15:06
never heard of the book binder option. you can get mini wedges in shops that wedge the door open. you can get ones designed for vivs online and in most rep shops don't think they are expensive
BlueDragon Posted - 19/02/2011 : 10:58:23
I remember seing some mini ones somewhere, what would they be used for? They were too small to wedge a door shut. Could I find them sorta things anywhere?
I still like the sound of the book binder though, if that's an option.
blackskull Posted - 19/02/2011 : 10:50:14
yeah when i say wedges i mean wooden ones. the ones we cut at work do look rough as they are just cut on a band saw so they are not smooth but they will do me til i pick up some rubber ones
BlueDragon Posted - 19/02/2011 : 10:35:48
I've never even heard of Maplins! We don't really have much near me. I have a Focus up the road but I doubt they'll have one. I can't beleive that B&Q have never heard of them though... I know what they are and I'm clearly thick! : /
I do have a B&Q but it'a while away and apart from that I don't think I have anywhere else that would sell one. We have a carparts shop that also sells a lot of DIY suff, but they wouldn't have one either.
What are they used for other than to mesure snake houses? I mean would somewhere like Scewfix have one? Never used them before but my step-dad has I think.

Yeah, I'm thinking of ditching the lock too. It's doing my head in 'cause I can hear it scraping the glass and I'm sure it's scratched it! : (
Someone somewhere on here mentioned those book binders (the plastic ones that look like a long hollow triangle) were a good alternitive, is that right? I can probably get hold of some of those pretty easy from Staples or somewhere is all.
When you say wedges do you mean just an ordinaly door wedge? Excuse my fussyness but do they not look a bit ugly? I like my smart viv is all and don't want to ugly it up X )
blackskull Posted - 18/02/2011 : 15:06:45
well we use them for knocking doors and lights together so there is always more than enough kicking around

im not normally a bargin hunter, i can't be bothered to shop around half the time lol
n/a Posted - 18/02/2011 : 15:03:26
quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

i will just get some wooden wedges from work free of charge lol

Lol - bargain hunter of the century - vote Blackskull!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000