The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 5 yr old royal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1982ltrav Posted - 18/02/2011 : 20:02:41
picking him up tomorrow, he's coming with his viv that he's been in for the last 2 yrs, does he still need his settling in period. anymore advice on a new royal would be appreciated. we already have 2 corns. thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 18/02/2011 : 21:23:54
Hi, in Nov I got my two girls, one an 09 with full setup - and I'm certain that helped her to settle, although I observed the conventional settling in period - royals are shy. The other is an 06, so nearly as old as your new royal.

I find an older royal has such a laid back personality. I'm sure you'll find him a gorgeous pet.

Royals are better fed on rats - as they should have 10-15% of their bodyweight at each meal, feeding on mice makes this a bit fiddly. But my 06, Surahi, eats mice(fasting at present) although this spring I'm going to try to get her on to rats, unless she's too set in her ways...

Sounds like your lad does his fast late - but they are all different.

Here is a feeding table, courtesy of Blackecho:

0-400gm - feed every 5 days
400-800gm - every 7 days
800-1200gm - every 10 days
1200gm+ - every 14 days

(10-15% of body weight per feed)

(Amendment - according to this Surahi, at 1300gms, could be taking 1 medium rat every fortnight, as opposed to messing about with 4 large mice ... roll on the day lol!)

Congrats on your new lad and hope he settles well with you.
1982ltrav Posted - 18/02/2011 : 20:37:29
at 5 year old he's bein fed on a large mouse every 2 to 3 weeks is this enough. apparently he'll go off his food in the spring each year for a month or two but feeds fine after that.
blackskull Posted - 18/02/2011 : 20:20:31
imo i would still let him settle in and get used to the new smells of your house and also get a few feeds inside him before you start handling so you know he settled.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000