The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Worried!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
NandKdev Posted - 23/02/2011 : 20:49:34
Hi all, We had Monty out last night. It was the first time in a while, as been really busy recently.

Was sat on the sofa stroking him, and all of a sudden he started wrapping around my leg and constricting. very quickly and very tightly. We couldn't get him off and when I moved he tightened.

We ended up getting him off by placing one of the hides next to me on the sofa and he divided under there.

He hasn't eaten since beginning of December. The Tv was on but not loud, there is nothing different from previous times we have had him out. We have had dogs round and on the sofa recently.

Just wanted to know if anyone could explained why this sudden change in behaviour. It was quite scary and really shook up the missus. She is worried about when he is bigger (currently 3.5 ft, year and half old)being able to hurt us, or worse when we have kids.

Any advice?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 24/02/2011 : 23:31:01
I tend to agree that nerves can be picked up so be confident. Get him feeding first though, he is priority.
BlueDragon Posted - 24/02/2011 : 12:25:41
You haven't got anything to worry about. He didn't bite, hiss or rattle his tail so he wasn't showing any signs of any agression. Sounds like he was just nervous or maybe hungry, like people have said. Leave him be, offer something tasty for him and see what he does. But maybe leave the handling a while till he's settled again : )

Don't be nervous of him though, he'll be able to sense it and that'll make him nervous too. I'm sure he didn't mean to scare either of you and I'm sure he'd say sorry if he could : )

Good luck with feeding.
n/a Posted - 23/02/2011 : 21:36:53
I have an 06 royal who likes to settle round my neck ...I suppose she constricts, but although she's a tight fit I wouldn't ever find her menacing. Yeah, as BE says, not a good idea to handle a non feeder but afraid she has been out a couple of times despite not feeding for a month.

I live alone but really don't feel a large royal could pose a threat. If a snake constricts due to a feeding response (and maybe your little guy did owing to the recent scent of dog - although I have cats whose scent must be apparent all over the house and have never had any reaction) then any movement from the 'prey' (your limb) will definitely be met with a stronger constriction as the snake seeks to 'kill' its prey prior to eating.

Maybe your royal is just getting ready to leave the non-feeding club. I honestly don't think he could do you any harm - they aren't aggressive snakes as a rule. You may well find that he starts feeding soon and reverts to his usual shy self.

Royals are usually the gentlest of snakes - all the best.
NandKdev Posted - 23/02/2011 : 21:34:01
Think will try feed him this weekend he has been very active! I thought it might be the fact that he now hungry and was sizing up a chunk of me! lol

Thanks, I know he would not be able to properly hurt us, it just makes us very cautious about getting him out and handling him again anytime soon, maybe wait till his feed again!
Blackecho Posted - 23/02/2011 : 21:10:02
Personally I'd advise against handling a non-feeding Royal.
Kelfezond Posted - 23/02/2011 : 21:06:01
He's a royal so even when he's fully grown he'll never pose any real threat.

Scar did the same around my head today and cracked my glasses, little beast.

You're in the same boat as me at the moment just learning that the snake isn't made of glass and you can be a bit more firm when you're unwrapping them, sounds to me like he might have just gotten a little frightened maybe out a little bit too long. Also I've found that trying to get a tightly wrapped snake off you just makes it wrap tighter so don't be afraid when it wraps around you :)

The part about him going straight into his hide suggests he was probably just a little bit nervous :) I use the same tactic with Scar when I want him to get away, show him a dark place

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000