The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Overhandling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Royal Scandal Posted - 02/03/2011 : 16:05:48
I've read of the possibility of overhandling a royal. Having given Jessie a month to settle in, from approxiamtely the start to the end of January, we've handled her regularly, almost every day, for short sessions, probably about 5-10 mins and rarely more.

Shes eating fine and doesnt seem at all stressed, as I said on another thread she has recently stopped striking but always eats when we leave her to it.

I would guess that if we were overhandling her she would be stressed and wouldnt eat or would be hostile to handling. When we hold her she doesnt ball up, she crawls about all over the place, a really curious little dear!

Does it sound like we could be handling her too much, or can we carry on as we have been, as long as she doesnt show any signs of stress?

Thanks.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anatess Posted - 04/03/2011 : 03:38:01
Our snakes are owned by my kids ages 9 and 7. Not only do they get handled a lot - they get played with a lot. Our snakes have been kings of castles in an all out war with the toy soldiers... alien gods ruling over the star wars figures... godzilla wrecking lego city...

Yes, the snakes really don't care much for playing but they're used to it now. Yes, they can be overhandled - the kids push the limit, but they do recognize when their snakes have had it with them. So yeah, I don't interfere. It keeps them interested in their pets.
hodgie Posted - 03/03/2011 : 18:29:08
From my experience most Royals aren`t overly keen on being handled but they tolerate it because they have no choice when we pick them up. This is easily proved when you place your snake back in its viv/rub, if it goes straight into its hide then thats its way of saying please leave me alone.
Out of my 6, Blaze and Zac are both very shy and so only ever get handled when cleaning. Bee and Hannah will make a run for it if i open their rubs. Little Mo has gone from an assist feeder to flying out of her viv like a Viper at the slightest belief that she will get fed ( need to video this one day )
Joker my Pastel is the only one who appears to enjoy a little contact and many times i have opened his rub and he will place his head on my hand if i put it near him.
The Royal Scandal Posted - 03/03/2011 : 11:38:51
Thank you everyone for your replies, what a helpful and friendly forum this is!

I should have mentioned that we do not handle her for two days after a feed, when she goes into shed we'll also keep handling to a minimum, apart from that we handle her most days.

From what I've read, and as some have corroborated, pythons dont seem to have the capacity to 'enjoy' handling, possibly as a dog would enjoy a walk or a play. But its nice to think that Jessie enjoys the warmth of my arm and exploring along the bed.
She has yet to tap the glass with a 'let me out' expression, but I dont think we're given her a chance yet.

I'll bear in mind the prospect of handling her too much, if she shows signs of stress then I'll cut down playtime!
Margwar Posted - 03/03/2011 : 11:21:48
They hiss alright! I was helping the OH clean out Margwar's viv and we put him in a pillow case to keep him safe and out the way, this one day he didn't want to go in there, so he got rather angry and hissed at me, I jumped a mile! He's never hissed at me since, but he does huff and puff a lot, especially when it comes to baths.
We've started handling him a lot more now, and he seems a lot more confident around me, as am I around him, I had to spot check his viv this morning as we thought he'd gone to the loo, and I got him out to move some hides, he pretty much point blank refused to go back into his viv, he wouldn't let me put his head inside, so I guess that's a good sign that he's happy to stay out and stay wrapped around my arm!
Royalbob Posted - 03/03/2011 : 10:48:34
generally only handle mine when cleaning out the rub's. i don't handle the day before feeding or 2-3 days after, So once or twice a week really.
prozacbear Posted - 03/03/2011 : 07:36:09
Hi
I handle Guybrush at least 4 times a week, and if he starts trying to open his viv with his nose (which is not uncommon) I will often open his door and he gets himself out of his viv. He seems to especially enjoy sitting around my neck while I do the housework, his head perks up and his tongue is flicking at everything, he seems to respond to having a change of scenery. I also fill a large washing up bowl with warm water and put that on the sofa, he will often get in and have a swim a drink and a soak.
So far he is feeding well and seems relaxed.
n/a Posted - 02/03/2011 : 23:47:15
Yes, they hiss, but I've only ever heard it from Shahi, who came as a hatchling, before shedding when I picked up the kitchen roll tube he slept in then, and during his first shed (or shred!) when I had to help him. I was new to royals, he was new, and I wondered if he'd bite, but no, just this hollow 'haaaaaaah!' (I joked that he could say his name: 'Shaaaaaaaahiiii!!')

It was amazing how he calmed down when I helped him shed that first time. This might sound sentimental but it was just as if he thought, oh well, I'm getting the skin off, and I might as well make use of the animated tree towering over me and giving me this bath ...
Lancelot Posted - 02/03/2011 : 23:25:39
Mine defiantly seems like a curious snake. Aways seems to come up to the glass just before we go to bed (it's in the bedroom) which is kind creepy at times because she (must get used to saying she) moves in stealth and suddenly she like THERE. Seems very happy to use us humans as warming up tools. Hangs round my neck (taught her not all the way round the neck) and watches me do the washing up - think she's fascinated with the warm water.
I get mine out almost daily and if not i aways come in the viv and say hi and give her a mini massage which she aways stays still for .

I would say ''tolerate handling '' is a little harsh for regually handled if the snake feels comfortable freedom time. And she knows i react to the huff, if she huffs , never herd her hiss. Do they hiss? (my Californian king did and oviously the wift to go with which is a trait with king snakes)

Handling kept minimal/none around shedding and feeding because there mood and body language is just saying "irritable, zzzzzzz or hunting mode still" and it's not worth the fighting with natures instincts as it's a protection mechanism.
Lotabob Posted - 02/03/2011 : 23:16:15
I have probably the most shy, quiet and jumpy royal available to man, the renamed ball-less python. And he seems to freeze when been picked up but once he is up and out he seems to really enjoy having a little explore, climbing over me and my sofa and the vivarium and having a wander round the living room too, its a nightmare trying to get him back in once he is out he grabs the viv sides or twists away from going back in, grips my hands and wrist. Anything but go back in his viv.

I think overhandling could occur if you held for a long time maybe they get cold or something but regular handling for shorter periods of time should be fine but lets face it, if we so much as look at them wrong they go off food so they let us know we are doing something wrong.
n/a Posted - 02/03/2011 : 19:48:37
This is only my personal experience but, having started with corns, I began to handle my snakes when they were restless and nosing at the glass and 'asking' for 'armchair walkies'. So, royals and corns may get handled frequently (except in times of shedding/digestion) or they may go for weeks with only a quick check to say 'hello, you ok?' every few days, or to be lifted into a feeding rub. Also, here in the frozen north, I have to be satisfied that the room is warm enough at this time of year.

So I let the snake dictate, really ...
Blackecho Posted - 02/03/2011 : 19:24:30
All snakes are different, generally Royals are shy, agoraphobic animals, but some tolerate handling better than others.
Kelfezond Posted - 02/03/2011 : 17:06:15
Everyone handles for different durations, as long as the snake is eating, shedding and healthy you're okay to handle it. I find that if i overhandle my snakes they become aggressive or scared, so if he bites you or stays in his ball for a long period of time then it's best to let him have a day off the handle. All snakes seem different i have one that continually climbs the glass and gets held every day and another who is always jumpy and shy whenever i get her our. She comes out once or twice a week.

P.s. Sorry for the block of text its hard to punctuate on my phone.
Margwar Posted - 02/03/2011 : 17:01:24
I'm quite curious to read the replies to this, I've recently took a re interest in Margwar and have been wanting to handle him a lot more, to be honest he's never been handled every day, he's lucky if he got handled every week to be honest. I don't want to over handle him either.

But as you've said, Jessie seems to be enjoying it if anything, if she's still eating and happily crawling over you, I'd say you were doing a good job!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000