The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 weight/length/age

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1982ltrav Posted - 02/03/2011 : 20:09:16
was told by previous owners a week last sat that monty was 5 years old and she knew this as they had him as a hatchie when there son was 2, he's now 7. he ate last friday for us (weiner rat). weighed him about ten minutes ago and he weighs 676 grams and just shy of three foot in length. does this seem right to you for a 5 yr old male. he seems really healthy.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
konrad1982 Posted - 10/03/2011 : 17:37:08
He does look healthy to me too. But if I were you I would try to put the rat on the scale instead of snake to check if they are not too small. In my eyes you could easy go for a small rats(100g) rather than a weaners. But this is only my opinion.
nok1888 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 13:59:26
I thought Orlina was a bit light when we got her 850g at 2.5 y/o she's now 3 and 1235g 4' long. I cant tell by looking at his picture ive only really had experience with orlina but B.E will be able to tell
1982ltrav Posted - 04/03/2011 : 20:29:45
thanks for the help/advice. would it be worth a trip to the vet to check his condition an put my mind at rest. as i said looks healthy to me.
Lotabob Posted - 03/03/2011 : 23:52:35
I don't think its anything to worry about if he is otherwise healthy, I don't know if snakes have runts but the best pets I've had are runts, in fact most of the animals I've had have been the runt of the litter.

I don't like comparing snakes, the whole I'll show you mine if you show me yours thing just gets people worried about size, weight etc. I'd be more worried about the condition of the little guy over any size related issues.

I would presume that he is either a runt, a fussy feeder or just been kept on a maintenance minimum diet either by choice or necessity. One thing for sure is if he is 5 he's obviously doing something right even if he is a bit small.
konrad1982 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 22:26:21
676g doesn't seem to be a lot. When I bought my little friend nearly 3 months he weighted 67g. Now after 3 months I'm little bit surprised as he weighs 185g. He grows even too fast and if he won't stop probably in the next 3 months the scale will easy show me 600g and it'll be only about 7 months old royal, so this 676g for a 5 years old royal sounds strange.
Royalbob Posted - 03/03/2011 : 10:53:32
Yeh thats a light feeding schedule. Get a 70g rat weaner down him every 7-10 days and he'll bulk up in no time.
1982ltrav Posted - 02/03/2011 : 21:52:46
no not really as i said looks really healthy although he does has a bit of baggy skin that you can feel when handling but isn't this normal.he was only previously been fed a weiner every two to three weeks. were gonna try him every 7-10 days an see how he gets on. we'll weigh him every couple of weeks an keep records as the last owner never. maybe his feed with us last fri was his first in months. you never can know or really trust what the previous owners tell you.
Blackecho Posted - 02/03/2011 : 21:18:42
That does seem very small for a 5 year old, but as above, they're all different, shape is a better indication really.

If you took a cross-section of the snake, would it look triangular, can you see the back bone?
n/a Posted - 02/03/2011 : 20:42:42
Hi, seems like the oft-repeated saying - they are all different.

It's said that females tend to be larger than male royals - I have a cb06 female who's 1300gm and 4'.

On the other hand I have a cf10 male (big for his age) and a cf09 female ... and she only weighed 10gm more than him at the last weighing... All my snakes seem pretty healthy and normal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I reckon that if a snake's healthy and eating well etc., its size and length don't matter, unless these are freakishly small/thin or overweight.

Monty sounds pretty ok to me.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000