The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Playing Outside

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Royal Scandal Posted - 06/03/2011 : 09:41:25
Hello everyone

Jessie is still only a baby, and its still very cold here in merry old England, so we wont be taking her outside until this summer at the earliest.

What are the precautions we need to take when we take her outside? I've seen lots of lovely pics of people playing with their snakes outside and would love to let Jessie have a play in the garden, but only if we can be sure that she will be safe.

Obviously we wont leave her unsupervised, but what other things should we bear in mind when we take her outside?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Margwar Posted - 06/03/2011 : 21:03:05
lol I just used my phone to take the last lot I did, thankfully light enough to be held one handed! We have a full DSLR, which I'd struggle with if I was on my own and had the snake out.
n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 20:41:39
quote:
Originally posted by Margwar

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Plus, you need all the wits you've got concentrated on the snake - don't know if I could manage a camera and a snake at the same time!

Get someone to help you! I was lucky that Margwar took a liking to a hand rail so whilst he was wrapping himself around that, I could take the photos.

LOL - good idea, but I never see anyone - the only person who calls is my ex and faced with an active snake roaming about he'd run a mile - he can just about bear to see one sitting on my knee - what a wuss!

One of these days I really will learn to get the upper hand of that unpredictable beast called the camera ...
Margwar Posted - 06/03/2011 : 20:17:01
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Plus, you need all the wits you've got concentrated on the snake - don't know if I could manage a camera and a snake at the same time!

Get someone to help you! I was lucky that Margwar took a liking to a hand rail so whilst he was wrapping himself around that, I could take the photos.
Royalbob Posted - 06/03/2011 : 16:14:27
Agree with hodgie. Playtime is really looking for a place to hide from
any danger.
Lotabob Posted - 06/03/2011 : 15:50:07
I'm lucky, I have a covered balcony so on an evening I can sit outside and catch the last of the sun or rain and been away from everything the snakes will be getting a chance of fresh air without animals to bother them, I will watch out for eagles but I think it will be OK.
n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 15:37:36
It is, it is - but you know what I'm like with posting pics ...

Kelfezond Posted - 06/03/2011 : 15:27:51
Sounds like great fun Bats! Pics!
n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 15:22:28
Last summer my corns went outside from time to time (Shahi didn't arrive till the end of July and by that time summer had ended in Wakefield lol.)

Of course corns are more adventurous, but it was wondrous to see Saffron roaming round the edge of the pond and stretching across several watering cans to drink from the end one. Spooky ghost corn tried to dive into the pond many times - apparently snakes can hold their breath and swim underwater but I wasn't chancing it.

I have a small inner-city 'Coronation Street' backyard where wild snakes aren't likely to be encountered (though I'd be delighted if they were) so there's not much chance of disease, mites etc. It's also wired in so that animals can't enter and my cats can't roam - they are very good and use a tray, hence no animal waste. Also there are plenty of warm but shady spots - bright sunlight's going to be a shock to snakes who spend their lives in vivs.

IF there is any hot weather this summer I'll be taking the royals out for short excursions if they seem relaxed with the idea. I have a feeling Surahi will enjoy sleeping round my neck as I sit on the doorstep on a rare humid evening; perhaps Shahi and Saada may like to sit on my knee or explore a little, but it will be up to them - if they seem anxious or searching for cover they'll come back into their vivs.

As with most things, I'll let the snakes decide.
Kelfezond Posted - 06/03/2011 : 15:21:27
Can't wait to take mine out in the summer, show them real grass :p

Snake: look at those flowers! They're not made of plastic, how strange
The Royal Scandal Posted - 06/03/2011 : 14:40:23
Thanks guys for your help.

To avoid contact with the grass, animal waste etc..., and to avoid upsetting her as hodgie mentioned, would it be ok to sit down with her outside and put out a blanket for her to stay on, with a hide of some sort in case she wanted to get out of the sun?

If the risk outweighs the novelty of having her outside then I'll avoid it. I was just wondering what the process was for snakey outide time

Thanks again
Margwar Posted - 06/03/2011 : 10:16:32
We take Margwar outside a few times a year, we usually wait for the sun to come out and warm up the concrete part of our garden, we don't let him near the grass due to mites and other animals waste.
I do agree with hodgie to an extent, however we're lucky with Margwar, he's more than happy to explore and when he's bored or cold he usually ends up coming back to one of us.
hodgie Posted - 06/03/2011 : 10:10:47
I wouldnt even go there, Apart from the above health risks you could also end up with mites or other parasites. Plus you also have the fact that Royals are nocturnal and quite nervous little critters so your idea of her having "a play" will quite possibly do her no good what so ever as all she`ll be doing is hunting for somewhere to hide.
Blackecho Posted - 06/03/2011 : 10:01:43
Beware of other animals, even if they are normally the friendliest family pet, they may get spooked by the snake.

Also (although I have not had experience of this, only something I read), I believe that cat urine is harmful to snakes, so try to keep the two apart

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000