The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Quick defrost?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nok1888 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 11:46:49
Is there a way to quick defrost food? Ive heard you can put them in hot water but ive heard it cant be too hot so do you heat it in warm water and keep changing the water every time it gets cool?

We're having chicken tonight and it always interests Orlina but I dont want to waste yet another hamster just incase but if she gets interested and shes out and ready it'll be good to get the hamster in as quick as i can
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nok1888 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 13:29:32
Aye its ok I got it, cheers
n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 12:53:51
Sorry Nok, just read my reply and it doesn't make sense. Meant to say - after prey has defrosted for a few hours, then as long as it feels nice and flabby and room temp, give it a warm for the last 5 mins or so.

Sorry about that!
nok1888 Posted - 06/03/2011 : 12:47:21
Im quite sure she'll take it because EVERY time we have chicken shes out her hide looking at me, that sound stupid but i swear thats what she does lol then lies in strike position so I'll just defrost it normally to make sure and im going to scent it with the chicken juice and fingers crossed it'll work

Thanks for replies
n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 12:00:59
The microwave idea is bad because it can leave frozen spots within the prey; also the stomach wall may collapse ... I'll leave that to your imagination ...eww!

If the prey starts defrosting now at room temp, or in an area of mild heat (I find the lid of the fishtank, where the lightbulb is, is handy) then as long as the stomach feels soft and not in anyway chilled, the prey can go into a plastic bag and sit in tap-hot water for a while, as long as the water STAYS warm. If the prey feels really nice and room-temp and flabby, I give it 5 minutes. If in doubt, change the water a couple of times as Kelfezond has said.

Yeah, I once defrosted a pinkie for Cy in boiling water. When she grabbed it - it bounced! It was cooked solid! That snake's only got one eye but you should have seen the look she gave me!

Good luck with Orlina - perhaps sprinkle hammy with a drop of chicken juice??
Kelfezond Posted - 06/03/2011 : 11:48:59
I use hot as my tap gets water for about an hour, then refill it with hot tap water again and leave for about another ten mins, not really quick. My local petshop use a microwave on defrost setting, heard its a bad idea but never understood why tbh.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000