The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Kate's first feeding attempt...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stevethornley Posted - 06/03/2011 : 21:46:06

... unfortunately not a success!

Hi everyone. You might be familiar with the story behind the addition of Kate to our family under this thread

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5183

Well, after a week of on a very brief handle on Tuesday 1st, my son's birthday and another on Friday, we tried feeding Kate a weener rat today which my son duly bought from a local pet store, frozen, but Kate the snake was not interested at all!

Just wondered how long you think we should leave it until trying again? And should we leave off handling until we try again?

We're not too disappointed or unduly worried as we knew things might be tricky, especially since she's just moved house. She was 313g when I picked her up from the breeder last Sunday and this evening she is 308g, so I don't think there's anything to worry about here either. The rat was defrosted (it's been out all day) and was warm (using the 'leave in a bag in a warm bowl of water for 5 mins technique) and we thought it had quite a pong about it, but she just was not interested.

And a couple of other things, if it's OK to put them in the same thread: When I went to pick Kate up from her viv (she was in her hot hide so I simply picked up the hide) - she went for my hand! She did make contact with a closed mouth (her's, not mine!) and I moved my hand pretty quickly back. Went to get her a second time almost immediately and this time it wasn't a problem. Did I move too quickly? Should I come up behind her rather than approach from the front? Once she was out of the viv she was fine and had a good slither around, and when put back in the viv, continued to explore as has been her routine all week once night falls.

One other thing. I now seem to have the temperatures more or less sorted out: 32 in the hot end and between 25 and 27 in the cool end. Kate only ever seems to stay under the hide in the hot end. We've never seen her holed-up anywhere else and she doesn't seem to have found her snake cave - the only bit of viv furniture that wasn't secondhand LOL.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received - we feel very green and we're on a very steep learning-curve! Thank you.

Steve
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
louise32 Posted - 09/03/2011 : 07:40:12
quote:
Originally posted by stevethornley

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I really do appreciate the sense of community here and, as I said, I have a lot to learn and a responsibility to care properly for the snake and to try to pass on good habits to an 8-year old who is very passionate but just as nervous as me!

Louise32: you're dead right - Mike has been a fantastic support and replied to a text about the issue last night. I'm using the right prey (Kate had already fed on rat weaners) and I fed in exactly the same way as my practise-run before I brought her home (dangling just in front of her) so I know she can do it. The only thing I might have done wrong is not warm the prey up enough... I had put the rat in a bag in a bowl of warm water for 5 mins but I think it could have been hotter. Or maybe I'll use a hairdryer next time. I was trying not to cook the thing but I may have been over-cautious.

I'm taking advice from Mike right now as my royal is still not feeding! After doing a few things he suggested, she fed last week which was a great relief. She has however refused another feed since then but I have a few more tips from Mike which I am going to try this evening when I offer her a meal again. Fingers crossed!
Royalbob Posted - 09/03/2011 : 00:40:45
Don't forget to just leave the rat in at the cool end if she doesn't strike.
Leave her in peace n quite. Might be gone In the morning.
stevethornley Posted - 07/03/2011 : 21:56:02
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I really do appreciate the sense of community here and, as I said, I have a lot to learn and a responsibility to care properly for the snake and to try to pass on good habits to an 8-year old who is very passionate but just as nervous as me!

Louise32: you're dead right - Mike has been a fantastic support and replied to a text about the issue last night. I'm using the right prey (Kate had already fed on rat weaners) and I fed in exactly the same way as my practise-run before I brought her home (dangling just in front of her) so I know she can do it. The only thing I might have done wrong is not warm the prey up enough... I had put the rat in a bag in a bowl of warm water for 5 mins but I think it could have been hotter. Or maybe I'll use a hairdryer next time. I was trying not to cook the thing but I may have been over-cautious.

We're going to leave her until the weekend, not handle her, following your advice Royalbob, to only go in to change the water.

Welly - thanks for the reassurance on weight-loss.

BATS & Hodgie - my hands were absolutely clean, nowhere near ratty so I'll put the lunge down to me being too quick and taking her by surprise!

Lotabob - I'm so glad that Duke is feeding well now. I guess it's about getting into a routine and I appreciate it will take a few weeks to get there.

Great to hear of all your experiences though. It helps so much to know that I'm not alone.

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted.

Steve

PS - oh, after saying yesterday that Kate loved all the secondhand bits and pieces in her viv but hadn't used the one new thing, the snake cave, guess where we found her this afternoon? Yes, indeed! Of course, she may have already been using it in the dead of the night, but, as she dislodged the top part because she's such a tight fit, I doubt it. Perhaps this goes to show that she still has some settling in to do, and I guess that this could contribute to the non-feed. Have a good week everyone.
hodgie Posted - 07/03/2011 : 19:39:58
Had you touched or held the rat before you picked up the hide? If so you may find that your Royal was striking at what it believed to be food, then freaked out and refused. My Pinstripe gets nervous if he misses his first strike and wont eat for a few days.
Royalbob Posted - 07/03/2011 : 10:51:03
Yep as welly saids. Try leaving for another 5-7 days only going into viv to change water. Find out from the breeder what and how she was fed.
mice or rats, what size and colour, how was food defrosted? Just copy there method.
As Welly said if she was on mice then new environment plus a prey change might all be a bit much.

As for the lunge remember youngsters are instinctively more defensive. What would you do if you were tiny and only armed with a nice set of teeth
and a giant woke you up and tried top grab you? lol. clean hands and just let them know your there for a bit before picking up. Also remember royals are head shy.
Out of interest Steve how did you try to feed her? Good luck for next time as well.
Welly Posted - 07/03/2011 : 08:37:39
No one has yet mentioned mice. Was she on rats or mice before you got her? They can be fussy crossing to rats.
As for the weight lose, that's not an amount I'd worry about.
Early days as you said. Sounds like its all coming together though
louise32 Posted - 07/03/2011 : 07:37:44
Hi Steve,

I brought my new Royal home just over 3 weeks ago. I waited a week and fed her and by this time she had gone 2 weeks without food. She took it no problem.....however since then she has refused 3 feeds with me but did take one a few days ago! They are funny little things and already owning corns, kings and boas it's taking me a while to get my head around a snake that refuses food!

I now try her evey 5 days and have my fingers crosed she will take a feed tomorrow.

I know the breeder you got your royal from and know if you need any advice he will be more than happy to help.
Lotabob Posted - 06/03/2011 : 22:31:17
I had a three week wait for Duke to feed after a move but he is feeding now. I know what you mean about the rats stinking, they really whiff. Unlucky about the strike but if it was closed mouth it was just a warning. I think you have to be careful around the front of their heads due to the heat pits, they pick up a fast moving het source heading for them they react before fully weighing up the situation. I always try to work my hand round to the side and scoop rather than over the top avoid the head shy bit, Duke will jump a mile if anything moves too close to the head, even his own tail.

Just takes them a little bit of time to settle in, I would recommend not handling for anything other than when its absolutley required until you have a few feeds in her.
n/a Posted - 06/03/2011 : 22:04:48
Hi, yes, it's nothing for them to refuse their first feed. Try her again in 5 days' time, and yes, rodents are a bit smelly eww.

Naughty girl for striking at you - but this sounds like a feeding response (had you handled the rat previously? were your hands smelling of it?) and therefore actually a good sign, bless her.

Yes, until she's had a few feeds it's a good idea not to handle her - tantalising I know! I tend to gently cup mine in both hands, avoiding any abrupt movement towards the head; they are usually head-shy. It's usually impossible to approach them from the back as they're watching. I talk to mine (yeah I know they can't hear but it's very relaxing for me, and there's always telepathy lol!)

don't know about the warm end hide thing, but my Shahi has been in his warm end hide for 24 hrs now (he usually likes the cool.) Uh-oh, were his temps too low? NO - they were a degree too high ...

I think that's maybe just royals ...

All the best!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000