The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 4 months no food!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stotty01 Posted - 22/03/2011 : 17:42:07
hi guys, some of you may know me from TCS

i have a royal called monty he is almost around a year old now and 2.5ft long and HAS NOT ate since i had him. he is in a 3ft viv temps are 29-30 and in cool end 24-25. ive tried making the viv smaller by putting in a divider, hands off for 2 months, diffrent food and diffrent sizes, heating up, leaving in, diffrent colours you name it i dont know what to do

HELP ME PLEASE!!!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tawfik47 Posted - 02/07/2011 : 16:52:06
seems to me like Blitz situation, no eat, afraid of the prey .... hope he will eat before he will start lossing weight.
karl Posted - 30/06/2011 : 22:50:07
quote:
Originally posted by inkiepixie

Just an update from me to say that Volta took a small mouse day before yesterday - lovely present to come back to from our honeymoon!

99 come good in the end. Once they are in feeding mode they gorge in the summer, ready to cheese you off again all winter.....
n/a Posted - 30/06/2011 : 18:53:57
Congrats! The waiting is awful (for us not for them lol) but they get there in the end, and congrats on the newly wedded bliss too!
markmifsud Posted - 30/06/2011 : 16:05:12
oh congrats :)
inkiepixie Posted - 30/06/2011 : 14:56:51
Just an update from me to say that Volta took a small mouse day before yesterday - lovely present to come back to from our honeymoon!
GMac Posted - 28/03/2011 : 00:32:31
200g is lot for a young snake to bee losing perhaps a visit to the vet may be in order just to see if anything underlying is going on.

also I wouldn't be assisting a snake yourself until you have had some hands on experience doing it. Get the guys in your shop to assist your royal at first then and only then you can try with them with you as you may do more damage than good as it is very stressful to the snake and to you.
hodgie Posted - 27/03/2011 : 22:06:35
quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Has he lost any weight?

yes.....200g i tried to assit today after the attempt by holding him close behind the head and gently pushing to see if he would open his mouth which didnt work

You have to be brave with assist feeding as its not the easiest thing to do 1st time. Basically if he didn`t open his mouth then you didn`t push hard enough, gentle but firm is the key.
Trust me, i had to do it to a 50g Mohave the first time she really didn`t want to play but after that it was all positive.
stotty01 Posted - 27/03/2011 : 20:42:57
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Has he lost any weight?

yes.....200g i tried to assit today after the attempt by holding him close behind the head and gently pushing to see if he would open his mouth which didnt work
n/a Posted - 27/03/2011 : 20:31:52
Hi, sorry to hear.

I know it sounds like cold comfort, but it's what royals do, and he WILL start feeding eventually.

Has he lost any weight?

all the best.
stotty01 Posted - 27/03/2011 : 20:16:04
progress...

well today i heated up a rat like no ones buisness till the hairs were almost singing and brained with lots and lots of blood in a rub and still nothing :@
Lotabob Posted - 22/03/2011 : 22:06:25
They love to keep us worrying, its a royal thing. Never had the worries with my corn snake, he's a good boy.

Its been said before but 6 grams is nothing to worry about, Duke loses 27 grams when he drops a stinky present, 6 grams was probably it having a wee.

You have to love them for all their quirkyness.
inkiepixie Posted - 22/03/2011 : 21:35:05
Thanks. That's put our minds at rest a bit. Louis loves her to death and worries so! Bless him.

n/a Posted - 22/03/2011 : 19:46:13
Ah well, corns are totally different - although atm I've got two non-eaters - probed as girls but restless and fasting ... and it's corn breeding season!

6g is a tiny loss of weight but I can understand you being anxious about Volta. Personally I'd stick to the prey she's used to - though having said that, I've heard of good results with multimammates.

however, given the time of year, sounds to me like usual royal winter fast. Yes, could be a good idea to check her cool end temps - should be 26. Hope she starts for you soon - there's every chance she will.
inkiepixie Posted - 22/03/2011 : 19:38:10
We are having the same problem with our CB10 royal Volta. She has not fed since November, and she's losing weight - she was 116g when we got her and is now 110g. We have tried everything we can think of...she is about 29/30 in her hot end but the RUB she's in is tiny - might her cold end not be cold enough? Tried feeding her in a toilet roll tube in the RUB, in a feeding box, on the sofa (!), heated the mouse using hot water and/or hairdryer, tonight I brained the bloody thing () and she's just NOT INTERESTED. In fact she even seems frightened of her food!

Thought about getting her a rat pup rather than the mice she's on. Thoughts? Ideas? Just leave her to it?

There's a reason I have corns - Volta is my other half's snake. None of my four have ever refused a feed; Luna took two large fuzzies no probs today even though she's blue. Bloody royals!!
stotty01 Posted - 22/03/2011 : 19:24:15
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

I've had corns before I got cerberus (my royal lol) and I never had a problem of them not eating, so when I got "cerb" after leaving him a week I used the same method for him and he took it along with every other feed he's had. This is what I do

1. defrost rat
2. boil kettle
3. place cerberus into a RUB I never feed in the viv, don't want him thinking every time I put my hand in there is food at the end of it lol.
4. bob rat in cup of freshly boiled water "only for a few seconds"
5. dry it as quickly as possible using kitchen towel
6. feed to the hungry snake

As I said this method has never failed me, just make sure the rat is as dry as possible "to avoid burning them" but as quickly as possible to avoid it cooling down to much, hope this helps:)

i will try this again tomorow
Lotabob Posted - 22/03/2011 : 19:12:03
Put the RUB in the viv, no extra space is needed.
reptilemadd Posted - 22/03/2011 : 19:11:42
I've had corns before I got cerberus (my royal lol) and I never had a problem of them not eating, so when I got "cerb" after leaving him a week I used the same method for him and he took it along with every other feed he's had. This is what I do

1. defrost rat
2. boil kettle
3. place cerberus into a RUB I never feed in the viv, don't want him thinking every time I put my hand in there is food at the end of it lol.
4. bob rat in cup of freshly boiled water "only for a few seconds"
5. dry it as quickly as possible using kitchen towel
6. feed to the hungry snake

As I said this method has never failed me, just make sure the rat is as dry as possible "to avoid burning them" but as quickly as possible to avoid it cooling down to much, hope this helps:)
stotty01 Posted - 22/03/2011 : 19:07:05
i dont have any space, i will try a divider again :) i tried heating up with a hair dryer still no success :( corn took it v well :D
louise32 Posted - 22/03/2011 : 18:25:51
Yeah, as above, try putting him in a very small rub with the food and make the food really warm, almost hot. Worked for me and my Royal :)
Lotabob Posted - 22/03/2011 : 18:21:14
Louise32 had to move her baby royal into a 4 litre RUB, maybe the space is still causing problems. Try putting Monty in the smallest space you can that way you can rule it out.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000