The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 been having a rethink... advise needed...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lucy1012 Posted - 11/04/2011 : 12:33:50
As i have a large faunavarium that i was hoping to put a cb11 hatchling in, but since discovering that this would not be suitable, i have had a rethink...

If i placed my 8 month old corn back into the faunarium (for a few months until i can buy a 2nd viv) would a CB10 approx 250g be ok in a well packed out 2ft viv...

I have bought a 2nd stat, so that is on the way... I have a heat mat but i am sure i have read that a heat lamp is better, any ideas on what i need and where to get it, i would not have a clue about watts etc...

any advice welcome...

thanks

Lucy
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lucy1012 Posted - 11/04/2011 : 21:56:43
thanks for the wallpaper tip, i was thinking along the lines of fish and chip paper lol

the goal posts have changed slightly the boy i was after has gone but am considering a 4 month old from the same breeder, awaiting emails and probing.. so looks like i may be back to the rub after all lol
hodgie Posted - 11/04/2011 : 21:46:57
I keep all my little ones in 2ft vivs, basically because i have 3 lying around, all have heat mats fitted on pulse stats never had and dont ever expect to have a problem. You`ll hear scare stories about heat mats, lots totally unfounded and lots more hear say in my opinion, every heat source can fail if not stated properly. By the way i always use sheets of B&Q wall lining paper in them cheap and easy to clean.
stevethornley Posted - 11/04/2011 : 20:36:46
I was a complete beginner when I started out at the beginning of the year. After much advice from this brilliant forum, and our fabulous breeder, we went for an 18x12x12 viv with a 75W IR guarded bulb on a Habistat dimmer stat with an exo-terra reptile hide in hot end and snake cave in the cool end on Aspen substrate. After initial settle-in, out CB10 normal girl has fed four times on the trot on rat weeners, so I think she is happy.

What you will probably have already worked out for yourself, there are lots of ways of making it work for your Royal but I think that, if you listen to the advice you get here, and follow what others do who have been making it work for years, then you'll be a-ok. Oh, and understanding that 'all Royals are different' and that you really shouldn't get too bothered about a missed feed or 3 are also key ingredients to success.

Good luck!

Steve
Lotabob Posted - 11/04/2011 : 18:28:35
I use a 100 watt Infra red bulb on a dimming stat, I use 100 watts but 75 watts is fine too I just like to know I have that little bit of extra oomph shoudl it drop cold or if another ice age starts (like winter). Duke is CB10 and he is fine in a 2 foot viv, in fact I think he looked cramped even though he isn't really. He'd be fine in a lunch box for all the inactivity of hin.
stumpy Posted - 11/04/2011 : 16:48:48
I have a 2ft wooden viv, it is run on a heat emmiter 150 watts with a p.p. stat it seems to work for Zuri he is in the hot hide all the time, have only seen his head since feeding him Sat. Had the p.p. stat new off e.bay £32.00 heat emmiter £22.50 from local pet shop but they are only £8.95 e.bay ( i was desperate to get it fitted in time)must get me a spare. Dont break the credit card.
Lucy1012 Posted - 11/04/2011 : 14:39:18
thank you, the spare stat i have will need to be flogged on ebay and a new one bought as it is just a 100w on off jobby... i will start looking into where and what and make a shopping list, i have found the perfect little boy for sale, just waiting to hear back from the seller... and somehow get all the stuff delivered asap... sorry credit card ;-)
n/a Posted - 11/04/2011 : 14:21:30
Hi, there are a few differing opinions but I would personally say yes, he'll be fine, especially as you plan to pack the viv out well.

About your heat lamp, yes, that will be much better than a mat. Even a statted mat can overheat if a thick bodied snake basks on it and as the snake will not immediately sense dangerous heat to its belly, it may be badly burned.

You need either: an ordinary plastic light fitting, flex and plug (the reptile shops sell these already assembled)

An infra-red bulb - for a 2ft viv I would reckon 60w suitable but please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

A dimmer stat.

A guard.

Or: A special fitting for a ceramic lightless heat emitting bulb.

The ceramic bulb

A stat - now ceramics are usually run with pulse proportional stats, about which I know nothing, but I believe can be run with other stats too - there is a very good sticky on here on stats.

A guard.

All these are easily obtained either from a good local rep shop or online. I can recommend Blue Lizard, Swell Reptiles, and Surrey Pet Supplies. It's good to compare prices as sometimes these places have sales and then of course there's always Ebay.

Hope I haven't overlapped with someone else or left out any essential bit of info here (I usually do lol) but there will be other people along soon.

Good luck with your setup.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000