The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 First Timer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SambaGiovanni Posted - 15/04/2011 : 14:18:59
Hey Everyone!

Basically, I'm a first time snake/reptile keeper of any kind and would like some advice. I've been looking for some time as to how to get into the hobby. For a first timer like myself it's hard to get my head around the massive amount of products on the market. I was just wondering if anyone could help give me a clue as to how to set up a vivarium as I genuinely have no idea as to how to set one up. Cheers :)
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stevethornley Posted - 18/04/2011 : 21:07:55
Hi Samba

Welcome to the forum!

Well, BATS, Lotabob: I feel honoured and humbled to be cited in a thread! I'm glad you have found it useful Samba: it was an epic journey of discovery for me. Everyone is so generous here and I would have easiy made some pretty fundamental mistakes if I had been left to my own devices. My son's Royal seems very happy. She has just fed for the fifth consecutive time and I think this is good news.

Kelfezond and others have, hopefully, reassured you re: travelling concerns. I used a pillow-case to transport our young Royal home and she didn't seem too bothered.

I would, however, be a little concerned about drumming too close to your vivarium - that's if you're allowed to have a drum kit in your student accomodation! And I speak as a music graduate and current drum tutor - how coincidental is that! My worries would be the bass frequencies. If you put your hand on the wall of any room with drumming going on inside, you can feel the 80-140Hz vibrations big time and I can't see how this wouldn't get transferred to the base of the viv and, therefore, the snake.

From what I understand, snakes don't hear, as such, through vibrations in the air hitting an ear drum, but through their body being in contact with the floor. I originally planned to put my son's vivarium next to an aquarium but the breeder suggested that the vibrations from the pump might be a problem, so we found somewhere else for the fish. I think this was an excellent call.

I might be being too sensitive and others have, and will give you a different perspective, I'm sure. When I was at college, I took my kit but kept it in one of the main performance rooms and mainly used it there. Maybe that could be a solution for you? You won't get chance in your first term to play much anyway. You'll spend most of your time drinking and sleeping ;)

Do keep us posted with how it all goes, and good luck with your studies.

Steve
Kelfezond Posted - 18/04/2011 : 10:50:44
That transport will be fine mate
SambaGiovanni Posted - 17/04/2011 : 22:58:22
Hi,
Thanks for all the advice, it's been hard needing to find information and not being able to find a reliable source :) Lotabob, by travelling I don't mean backwards and forwards in a day such as two 2 hour journeys. I mean by having to transport viv and equipment home for holidays and such (I only live an hour away thank god) and then having to move it back a month later or so

Thanks again everyone :D
Lotabob Posted - 15/04/2011 : 22:04:33
I took the plunge with a training snake AKA corn snake, I can't rate them enough as the perfect starter snake (I know I'm on TRP, sorry), Royals are a super snake and they are relatively simple to set up and care for but they can be shy and jumpy specially as hatchlings (babies), I have a super shy royal, he's a big bugger and super strong but he has issues and the first few times they jump out of their skin while your holding them you near jump through the ceiling too. LOL. They are super head shy as previously advised, if I move towards Duke at all he will recoil in horror and get ready to bite if necessary though he's only fully atttempted it once. Ahh if you love the look of them and understand their needs then they are a perfect pet.

You can't beat the Steve Thornley thread for discussion on equipment etc, he was so thorough and got everything perfect.

When you say travelling do you mean back and forwards?
Strawb Posted - 15/04/2011 : 21:02:27
Welcome to the forum Samba.
I also play drums, but my kit is set up about 3 rooms away from my snakes. I check them after every session, but they don't seem to care.
Handling is easy enough as Kelfezond said and it gets easier with time. The knack is to never go in nervously or half-heartedly, this will make the snake act defensively. As mentioned never approach the head, pick them up from the side or from behind. Also never grip your snake. You can usually move it to where you want by lifting it or scooping it up.
I light my royal viv with infra red light. They're on 24hrs a day and are the heat source for her. Also because it's fairly dim in there, she feels more relaxed. And I can see her when she's active at night.
Good luck with your snake when it arrives. It'll be the first of many.
Kelfezond Posted - 15/04/2011 : 18:19:41
Transport is easy, bag filled with newspaper. (also you're moving to my home town, yay)
Heavy vibration is better avoided so if your snakes next to the drumkit could be a bit annoying for the snake.
I don't simulate darkness as it's dark at night, I cover the viv with a blanket if I have a problem feeder as they tend to eat better in darkness without distraction but its your own choice really
Handling Is easy, best way to do it is to avoid the head and just let the snake go where it likes, don't be afraid to move him though they're strong and won't break easily :)
If you have a thermostat it should take care of the temperature for you, just keep an eye on the thermometers just incase
SambaGiovanni Posted - 15/04/2011 : 18:08:14
Thanks for all the advice and that thread was really useful! However I have now realised that I have a fair few questions that will require some thought before I make the plunge and start buying equipment. So, here goes...

Is it possible to transport the snake in comfort for a semi-extended period of time, such as moving from my home-town in Surrey to Portsmouth where I attend University? It's about an hour or so drive.

Does loud music or heavy vibrations cause the snake stress? I own a drum kit, enough said really...

Royal pythons are nocturnal by nature, is there any need to simulate this or does there seem to be little difference?

What is the most effective way to handle a snake? I personally don't have a lot of experience and would like to be able to handle the snake without fear of hurting it or causing stress to it?

Would the heat gradient be affected by having the vivarium in a place that's cold/less heated generally? My room at home tends to get very hot when electrical equipment is running/in peak summer.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm finding it hard to get information on all of this :D
n/a Posted - 15/04/2011 : 15:39:32
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you look at page 5 of general section - 'royal python for my 8 year old's birthday' by Steve Thornley has loads of discussion and info about setting up a viv from scratch. (Nearly down bottom of page - will be on p6 soon.)

Online rep equipment shops I can recommend are Blue Lizard, Swellreptile and Surrey pet supplies - it's good to compare prices and check out special offers - I saved loads that way and if you live in West Yorks Siaddy has a 2' viv and some equipment advertised for £40 in the equipment section of the classifieds.

Good luck with your setup and new royal.
stumpy Posted - 15/04/2011 : 15:32:13
Hi and welcome. I have a cb10 in a 2' viv, two hides 1 large water bowl. Heating i have a ceramic heat emmiter on a p.p. stat, you will need two temperature gauges 1 for each end. Folage which i get from Dunhelm, and i have a tree branch and bark in mine, I use aspen. You will need a lock for sliding door. With all the expense you might be buying a viv with all setup + you might get a royal as well. Look on preloved. Good luck
blackskull Posted - 15/04/2011 : 15:09:21
for lights i use the energy bulbs in my vivs, guarded, as the room mine are in is dark. i don't use a controll box just a timer on the extention lead that all the lights are plugged into but as karl said its not reqired

i have a cb2010 in a 2ft viv well packed out and had no probs so far

for heat i use ceramic builbs on pp stats but there is also ir builbs, but what u use is up to you

mine are in vivs as house gets cold in the winter and woldn't be able to keep the ambint temps up so i can't use rubs

karl Posted - 15/04/2011 : 14:55:54
lighting isn't required for Royals. To start with a heat mat, mat stat, 34ltr rub, a water bowl and some hides would suffice
SambaGiovanni Posted - 15/04/2011 : 14:45:01
Cheers but I was just wondering what equipment people actually used. I don't know what goes with what (such as needing lighting controllers and therefore what lights etc) and what is best for the job. I also am thinking of getting maybe a CB2010 which probably means I need a smaller viv to start with? I've got so many questions I need answered it's quite annoying :\
karl Posted - 15/04/2011 : 14:36:18
Basics are two hides, one warm side, one cold. Heat source, with temperature controlling stat at one end, be that a mat or a ceramic/bulb. Substrate (personal preference) and then pack it out with some foliage/branches, your done.

Check peoples photos, best way to see how they have done it. Any specific questions feel free to ask

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000