The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Possibly about to shed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dio Posted - 16/04/2011 : 15:22:04
Dio's been curled up in his water bowl for 2 days now does that mean he's going to shed soon? He's not looking very dull yet and he hasn't gone blue so could it be anything else?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 23:07:59
The mites can't be affecting him too much as Dio's just eaten his first large mouse
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 22:12:06
No she doesn't live in the same place luckily. Thats ok then as was worried about them getting on my clothes and onto her. Just checked her over and no little black dots on her (and in exchange she peed all over me, one thing i'm glad Dio doesn't do). I've got tea tree wipes for Asti just incase though i guess they can't be used on reptiles.
n/a Posted - 17/04/2011 : 22:03:12
No, they can't survive on or infest mammals (remember having debate about this on RFUK) but they can bite them - however Asti's not living in same place as Dio, is she?

Do rats have to be treated with flea stuff same as cats? If they do, the flea stuff ought to kill any mites - but honestly I wouldn't be too worried. I'd check her of course but the critters seem to be reptile specific.
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 21:48:57
Unfortunately i haven't got £50 to spend. I'll pop into the local pet shop and see what they have.

I just thought can snake mites be past onto mammals? I'm just a bit worried about asti getting them as she's still recovering from major surgery.
n/a Posted - 17/04/2011 : 21:44:04
You can get it from Blue Lizard - 13.99 for 100g + delivery though.

If I want anything from them I make sure delivery's over £50 so get it free - I stock up on bulbs, substrate etc - but of course you have to be able to splash out on the £50 worth ...
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 21:29:32
That ones sold out everywhere. I'll try mite off as you can spray that straight onto the snake as well as around the viv.
Lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 21:21:42
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/callington-mite-spray-100g.html

Heard good things about this one
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 21:06:44
I'll go read that now thanks. I've found something on Pets at home website called mite off is that what i need? I'll be having to go to the 2 local pets at home tomorrow to get the stuff. Dio's getting the last of my money spent on him before payday.
n/a Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:54:13
LOL Bob - so would I!

Uuurrrgh ... POOR Dio!

There are some good stickies on the health section - you'll get there - what a horrible thing to happen!

All the best.
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:49:39
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by Strawb

The mites or the other half?

I reccommend both lol, one is sorted with a spray the other takes a shovel and a patio.

Most definately the shovel and the patio. Dio's had a bath to get them all of him for now though they are all over the viv but that will have to wait until the shops open tomorrow to get the spray.

Will i have to bleach all the wood items and then put them in the oven? I'll have to get new substate as well as that can be the only place i can think of them coming from as i haven't had any other contact with any other snakes.
n/a Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:47:08
Ha Bob we overlapped again!
n/a Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:45:49
There are a lot of theories, including substrate harbouring them.

My personal view is that the incoming snake is harbouring mites or near-invisible eggs, which can be airborne ... always quarantine a newcomer, and use kitchen roll or wallpaper lining paper as substrate, which will show up any stray mites - and keep checking the water bowl.

I've done this several times now - no sign of mites (touch wood) - but always be vigilant.
Lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:42:54
Substrate from reptile shpos that have a mite problem, clothes after touching an infested snake, clothes after going near an infected wild snake. Its more likely to come in on an infested snake though, so quarantine until you are sure.
Lucy1012 Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:38:13
slightly off topic, but how do snakes get mites???? if you have multiple snakes I can see how a new one may bring them in... I have 1 corn snake and in a few weeks a new royal (yay) presuming the royal is clear and the corn is clear how would they get mites????? does it come in on substrate, or from other sources...
n/a Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:30:18
quote:
Originally posted by Dio

Ok OH lied about checking Dio and he is covered in mites looks like i'll be sorting that out ASAP.

!

I've heard good reports from Blackskull re Callington mite spray; you remove water bowl and snake, spray viv and replace snake and bowl after stated times.

Poor old Dio - good luck!
Lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:26:14
quote:
Originally posted by Strawb

I reccommend both lol, one is sorted with a spray the other takes a shovel and a patio.
Strawb Posted - 17/04/2011 : 20:21:32
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:11:52
Ok OH lied about checking Dio and he is covered in mites looks like i'll be sorting that out ASAP.
Dio Posted - 17/04/2011 : 10:24:01
There were no black dots in the water either so it looks like he doesn't have mites.

He didn't get fed yesterday either as the OH forgot (not sure how as i reminded him atleast 3 times) He should hopefully be fed tonight if he remembers.
STICKS Posted - 17/04/2011 : 09:02:28
Hi there ref the mites the water bowl also needs checking little black dot's in the bottom of the water thats the snakes way of dealing with them thay drown them.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000