The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 question about hides....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Laws Posted - 22/04/2011 : 22:53:32

rite we have been looking at zac's set up , we had him on aspen , but having read that its not so good for pythons we have switched to orchid bark , which is better for humidity . i also got him a rock cave so he can have two that are similar , ones bigger and was originally in the hot end , ive put the smaller one in the hot end (its still plenty big enough for him) well we popped him back in there and he had a good roam around tongue going like mad , but he has now gone straight for the old hide he had in the cool end , now when it was in the hot end he spent all his time in there . do they have a hide they prefer ? will he figure out that he has a new hide in the warm end ? worried i should have stuck his old hide back where it was its just its better for resting the cork bark on in the cool end ? sorry this is so long , im a stress head lol !
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laws Posted - 23/04/2011 : 11:36:54
Yup an anery and a pastel royal maybe . Woke up and u can see him in his new hide back in the warm side :) yey !
Lotabob Posted - 23/04/2011 : 00:38:34
Thats your next one then an anery corn snake. I love Spot to bits, he is such a lovely little fella, so good natured.
Laws Posted - 23/04/2011 : 00:34:44
hes gone back into hiding now , awh cant wait for him to feed for us ! kai is sulking by the way , head out the hide . kodi is due to shed shes just gone clear again . i want an anery like ur spot :D
Lotabob Posted - 23/04/2011 : 00:29:06
I just fed Duke and all i saw was the rat disappear into the hide, lol.
Laws Posted - 23/04/2011 : 00:26:18
hehee ! well we have just seen zac pop his head out :D
Lotabob Posted - 23/04/2011 : 00:21:48
It will dry for sure, its very warm in the viv. Thought about stringing a washing line in there, I may as well use the space as Duke doesn't.
Laws Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:47:20
hehe i do care they are like my kids :) im sure it will dry , ive notice the temps in the warm end are better before they were 23-24 in cold end now at 26 :) was so good to see him roaming around in there tongue going like mad , and when Sar held him he wasnt balled up , she said wen he wants to go he really wants to go . tried going up her sleeve and over he shoulder , hes very head shy tho . didnt have him out long as we are stillw aiting for him to eat . but it was nice to see we do actually own one! lol . thanks for the reassurances , hope it dries enough tho :)
Lotabob Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:38:05
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

how hot do u have the oven and how long for to dry some out ? again worrying lol !

100 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Its not really required if I'm honest, it just makes me feel better.
Lotabob Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:37:04
It will dry out on the surface quite quickly, but it will be fine, its all i've used with Duke and have experimented (well twice) the first time it was really humid for a few days and then I tried drying half and it hit the right humidity straight away but even been humid for a day or 2 wont do any harm at all. Worrying just shows you care.
Laws Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:33:54
how hot do u have the oven and how long for to dry some out ? again worrying lol !
Laws Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:31:23
hehe my oh said i like things to worry anout and fret over , mother hen style ! lol . i do want another royal a pastel maybe ! the bark was damp in the bag , would it dry out slightly inside in hot viv ? i will def check it tho and keep an eye out
Lotabob Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:29:40
I love orchid bark, not so sure about smell but I dry 50% it out in the oven before mixing with the damp stuff and putting it in (dont ask I find the humidity goes to about 95% if i just put damp in and takes days to come down where as 50/50 lands at 50-60% which is where I aim (long process but we all do these things that seem odd but seem to work). Only probelm with orchid bark i've found is Duek likes to scoop a pile of it up as I pick him up and dump it on my lap though I'm wise to his tricks and run my hand down him as I lift him while still in the viv. (The Boa likes 100% dried orchid bark too, I have the corn on beech chip though, he likes to dig & corn poo on orchid would be invisible).

Anyway hides. Duke always head for the warm end hide after been out but will move to the cooler hide after a while usually when noone is looking. I put it down to him getting a bit cooler when he is out and he is warming himself up when he goes back, he has also been known to go sit directly under the heat bulb if out for a long time. Long story cut short, he uses the one that suits him best at the time.
reptilemadd Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:27:10
I agree with BATS it probably just smells friendly and he'll find the hot hide when he needs it, orchid bark is better for humidity but you need to be carefull it doesn't get to damp as long term exposure to damp bedding could result in scale rot.
n/a Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:24:34
LOL - us worrybuckets have royals in order to have something to worry about ...

You definitely have to get another royal ...
Laws Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:20:32
hehe trust me bats im a stresshead and a half , drive my other half potty ! she quickly held him while i refurbed and he was zooming round like a loon , good sign maybe ? still not ate but we got a few smaller mice to try . i dont think there is anythin wrong with aspen , i just heard as its a higher humidity snake , and i was in a pet shop (im terrible for buying stuff lol!)its smells fab ! i got it everywhere tho ! was so good to see zac out in his viv , i kno he was just checking it out , but he zoomed around in there ! im sure he will go and find it , but as a stresshead this is def a stress hehe!! and hes me wanting another royal !
n/a Posted - 22/04/2011 : 23:11:31
LOL - I can out-stresshead you any day, woman! Been there, done that (should I lift snakey out and show it new hide or whatever?)

It's possible he's chosen the old hide because it smells familiar, but if he needs to thermoregulate, he will, and he'll go in the new hide. He'll know what to do.

Me, I love aspen, and the snakes seem to like it as well - never heard it was bad for royals, but nothing wrong with orchid either; it looks good and I've heard smells fabulous; just down to preference I reckon. Not an expert on humidity, I must admit. Water bowl in hot end when snake clears from blue, and that's my limit ...

He'll be fine.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000