The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Idiots guide for newbie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
balsarcie Posted - 26/04/2011 : 20:16:08
currently on the verge of purchasing a baby royal python, have got all the equipment i need (i think)
3ft Vivarium
150w ceramic heater
Pulse thermostat
2 thermometers
hides, bowls greenery etc
Substrate

Now i thought i was all ready to go until i looked a little deeper and realised that a 3ft Vivarium may be too big and cause the little fella some stress which i clearly dont want to do, being a newcomer i would really like some advice on the best way to keep them, i have read a lot about RUBs on this site but would realy like a clear description of the components i need and a description of how to put them together, ie how do i seperate the temperature difference in such a small area?
any pictures would be a great help.

I hand this over to all the helpful experience that is "The Royal Python" Forum,

many thanks
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stevethornley Posted - 01/05/2011 : 21:09:57
Hi

Do have a look at the thread recommended by BATS 'Royal Python for my 8 year old's birthday' which I started many months ago as there is a discussion about lighting there. I was going to go down the route of having an elaborate system of daylight bulb and nightime IR bulb which automatically switched over when ambient levels dicatated. I too was concerned that we wouldn't be able to see what was going on.

Thanks to the input of the community here, I ditched the whole idea. First, you need to remember that Royals are nocturnal and any kind of light other than that they can't see (ie IR) is likely to stress them out. Second, there is apparently some evidence that too much light can actually damage the snake's eyes. You don't want to be doing this!

As Strawb has said, an IR bulb instead of a ceramic will kind of do both heating and lighting jobs: provide a red glow by which to see snakey, and a really accurately (and I mean within a few decimal places) regulated temperature.

Our snake has now been with us for 2 months and I have to say that the advice obtained here and from our breeder has been absolutely spot-on. Kate the snake has fed six consecutive times, has had a successful shed, and she is getting more used to being handled. We've had visitors this weekend and we even felt confident enough to 'hand her round' to our friends (people who had never before seen a snake other than on TV, let alone held one - they were suitably amazed!) and she behaved impeccably.

The other thing I would say is that 'our Kate' is rarely out of her snake cave except at night time, so any extra lighting would have been a complete waste of time and money. We would just have had a better view of the top of a reptile hide, an aspen floor and a branch! She is very reclusive and, from what others have said here, I think this is largely true to type... although you will soon learn (if you haven't already) that every snake is different LOL!

Good luck with your adventure. You won't regret it. Steep learning curve but well worth the climb!

Steve

Strawb Posted - 01/05/2011 : 20:26:48
You can put a low wattage bulb on a timer, although you may have to watch the temperature in the viv. Don't have the light on for more than 12 hours, preferably less. I use IR bulbs as both heat and a way of seeing Tia when she's active.
If you're thinking of getting a bigger royal, check out what the local animal homes have or if anyone near you is wanting to get rid of theirs. Always better to give one a home than go straight to a shop.
balsarcie Posted - 01/05/2011 : 12:43:21
Hi just a follow up, i now have all the elements to set up the viv and was wondering about some lighting, i have read that royals dont actually need any but it would be nice to have something so my younger kids can see them, , my heating is already supplied by a ceramic 150w bulb so it would be purely purely to see them.

any ideas or suggestions would be welcome

Thanks
Lotabob Posted - 26/04/2011 : 22:42:40
Your not wrong I got my first in September its been another one every three months so far. I've got a snake patch on at the moment, saving up for an expensive set up and Green tree Python.
balsarcie Posted - 26/04/2011 : 22:31:25
If theres one common denominator here its that snakes are an addiction, they should come with membership to the Priory me thinks lol.
Kelfezond Posted - 26/04/2011 : 22:09:49
Heat distribution would be a little broken lota :p

But yeah it's easy once you get started buddy im sure once you start setting up you'll want to rush out and buy one immediately
Lotabob Posted - 26/04/2011 : 21:57:20
You could take measurements and create a divide to section off a part of the viv, though the tempation there is to get 2 snakes and them have half each and get another viv later. I cant see any faults in that plan either lol.
balsarcie Posted - 26/04/2011 : 21:55:24
Firstly i'd like to thank you all for your very informative input,

i think i am going to take the plunge and go for using the Vivarium i have but buy a slightly older snake and pack the thing out to capacity with hides and greenery, i do understand the pros and cons to both methods so my decision purely comes down to using what i have already purchased and just means i will need to get some extras to bulk it out, forgot to mention i do have a heater guard.

I will of course listen to any further advise you may have to offer as i am on a steep learning curve and i wont buy the snake until i am absolutely sure the set up meets its requirements.

Once again...Thanks.
Kelfezond Posted - 26/04/2011 : 21:43:03
Yeah I noticed, I was going to write more but my phone is so stupidly small it's like goliath trying to play 'operaation' and my hands hurt.

Bats aand bob covered it all pretty much, I had alot of trouble with the air holes, I find vivs just generally work better but I know people who have their rubs working spot on.
n/a Posted - 26/04/2011 : 21:11:19
Ha - we overlapped, Kelf and Bob!
n/a Posted - 26/04/2011 : 21:10:00
Depends on the size of the snake of course - but imo if you pack your viv out with loads of cover and hides, the snake will feel secure as long as you allow it to hide to its heart's content - as it will - after a thorough casing of the joint! A crowded viv will be darker and more private than a smaller rub imo - though you can drape a towel over a rub to make it darker. You can buy smaller vivs as well - I recommend Swellreptiles by the way - they have a sale on.

As for rubs, you will need a lid as all snakes will investigate every nook and cranny of their new enclosure, which needs to be absolutely secure. I like those handy little rubber wedges for sliding glass doors of vivs and of course rubs have lockable lids as standard. But unless a rub is kept in a room of the same temp or more as the rub's cold end temp, you may have trouble maintaining temps, especially in winter. Airholes also have been a matter of debate. Too few and you risk too high humidity; too many and your temps suffer. It's all a matter of common sense and many people swear by rubs. (And if you have too many airholes you can always tape them up on the outside.)

Sorry if this is all a bit confusing - it's all a bit much at first, but just keep reading on here - there are so many good threads and stickies, and of course there is always someone around to answer any questions you may have - all the best and don't hesitate to keep asking if you need to know anything.
Lotabob Posted - 26/04/2011 : 20:57:56
I think the way it works is some snakes do fine in big enclosures but some really dont, but they all do well in smaller enclosures so its the better of the 2 options. RUB's come with a lid so its alredy there.
Kelfezond Posted - 26/04/2011 : 20:55:46
Unless it's hugely packed out, and I mean like you can barely see any floor space then for a 'baby' or 'hatchling' it is way too big in my opinion
balsarcie Posted - 26/04/2011 : 20:49:14
Many thanks Burned, you say that there are differing opinions as to the most suitable way of housing the babies, in your opinion would i be harming it if i were to go straight into the 3ft Vivarium?
balsarcie Posted - 26/04/2011 : 20:45:29
Many thanks for both the replies

Just a couple more Qs

would i need a lid on the RUB?
and are we talking a few holes for ventilation?

I will of course read the post as per your advise.
n/a Posted - 26/04/2011 : 20:29:58
Nice diagram Bob!

I'd also recommend the general section, page 7, Steve Thornley's 'Royal Python for my 8 year old's birthday' - as every aspect of buying and housing a young royal got covered and discussed in that thread - ought to be made a sticky imo.

Off the top of my head I'd add a bulb guard to the list.

And there are differing opinions - I go for generous space and loads of cover; other opinions tend towards more limited space.

All the best with your new royal and set-up.
Lotabob Posted - 26/04/2011 : 20:21:20
This is my very simplified basic setup for a RUB.

(speedy edit to make writing clearer)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000