The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 prey sizes approx ages etc

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lucy1012 Posted - 04/05/2011 : 21:03:43
hi, i picked up my baby royal this evening, she is currently exploring her new home.

I had a little break down in communication with the seller about what he was feeding her.. he had an accent and said small mice, i asked again and he repeated small mice, i thought that seems a bit big but hey ho, so i bought small mice.. when i picked her up i asked a third time and what he described is a fuzzy mouse... damn i have 5 small mice in the freezer and nothing to feed them too, they were not cheap gggrrr

anyhow, some breeders start straight from rat pup's others seem to start on fuzzy mice... she is 5 weeks old and had 3 consecutive feeds on the fuzzies, i do have some fuzzies in which are the corns but i would like to put her on to rats. I am going to order some in but i need to know how is how many to order in... i don't want to be left with loads, so when (roughly) do babies jump up to the next size rat...

i have called her Eclipse by the way, seemed fitting as the corn is Luna :-)

thanks
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lucy1012 Posted - 08/05/2011 : 13:26:04
thanks Dio, sadly I live in the back a%$e of beyond and the nearest pets at home is a 40 mile round trip... I have found someone on fleabay that does them quite cheap with £5.95 delivery, have ordered a small amount to see what state it reaches me in. ;-)
Dio Posted - 08/05/2011 : 12:03:48
I've just discovered pets at home now does frozen reptile food and i don't think it's that expensive either.

Here's a list of all the stores that now do them http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Info_10601_all-about-reptiles_-1_10551
Snecklifter Posted - 06/05/2011 : 14:20:00
Well, if a comparison is made with what it costs to feed dogs or cats over the same period of time, what we pay to feed our snakes is insignificant really.
hodgie Posted - 05/05/2011 : 18:25:58
I got my little Mojave last year and she was very young, only 50g. I`ve just looked back over her feeding chart and i had her on 39 Rat Pups before i moved her up. At the start she was on 1 every 5 days. The last 8 feeds i gave her 2.
So i`d say get 30 - 40 you`ll probably find they vary in size a little so you can use the smaller ones 1st.
Lotabob Posted - 05/05/2011 : 18:21:59
Goodness my shop is expensive too but I don't consider £8 a month much for feeding 3 animals.

I just bought Duke his first ever small adult rat, he has a few large weaners to finish off first but I think he is ready for the big guys.
n/a Posted - 05/05/2011 : 16:39:31
Heavens above!

Well, been there, done that, paid 50p for mouse pinkies and 1.25 for small mice locally, but blimey, don't the shops make some profit eh?

I'm lucky enough to have freezer space (erm, not much space for my food lol) and to be able to buy in bulk online, where mouse pinkies start at 9p, through 26p for a small mouse and 51p for a jumbo (current prices.) Rat prices are just as good. There's a delivery charge of course, which isn't cheap, but still the prices work out at the cheapest I've found.

If anyone has snakey acquaintances they can, of course, share the cost of delivery ... Siaddy, if you're ever in Wakefield, I'm sure I could spare some small mice at half that price ... 65p's shocking.

Anyone interested, google A&N Frozen Food, Sussex.

siaddy23 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 16:08:21
quote:

lol £7.54 for the 5... it won't break the bank no, but still a waste ;-)

Wow They should have golden poop at that much if not change where you get them from small mice are 65p at my pet shop and I begrudge paying that much lol
Lucy1012 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 15:55:40
quote:
Originally posted by Snecklifter

quote:
Originally posted by Lucy1012

damn i have 5 small mice in the freezer and nothing to feed them too, they were not cheap gggrrr

Blimey, if 5 small mice were that expensive, I should cut them open, there ought to be golden poop in there...

lol £7.54 for the 5... it won't break the bank no, but still a waste ;-)
Snecklifter Posted - 05/05/2011 : 15:43:42
quote:
Originally posted by Lucy1012

damn i have 5 small mice in the freezer and nothing to feed them too, they were not cheap gggrrr

Blimey, if 5 small mice were that expensive, I should cut them open, there ought to be golden poop in there...
Lucy1012 Posted - 04/05/2011 : 21:45:11
thanks, I think i need to put more holes in the rub as the humidity is far too high, that'll be tomorrow's task, along with finding something she can eat lol
markmifsud Posted - 04/05/2011 : 21:43:26
you could always give two smaller mice for a meal to use them up before you fully change to the next size up
Lucy1012 Posted - 04/05/2011 : 21:41:28
thank you, i thought it would be one of those how long is a piece of string questions...

I have 4g mice fuzzies and the small mice I have weigh about 14g, so i think i need something in the middle. I weighed her before i put her in the rub to settle and she is 54g, so the 10-15% would be 5.4-8g.. I will order in 10 rat pups, and 10 the next size up and take it from there, i suppose...
n/a Posted - 04/05/2011 : 21:31:22
ps - almost forgot - congrats about getting Eclipse!!
n/a Posted - 04/05/2011 : 21:29:59
Oh boy ... a knotty problem ... all suppliers of rodents vary, I'm afraid. I have a very good supplier, A&N frozen of Suffolk - but with 11 snakes I can buy in bulk of course.

A&N's rat pups (pinkies) weigh 6.5g approx, fluffs 19g.

Their small mice weigh 9.2g approx, fuzzy mice 5.3g.

Eclipse would definitely be better off on rats if she will take them; rats are better sized and better nutrition for royals. I would have thought that by now she would be on small mice or fuzzy rats (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

According to Blackecho, a good guide is to feed prey 10/15% the weight of your snake. Hope this sheds some light on the matter. If in doubt, ask your own supplier for weights of prey.

Don't worry about getting the wrong mice; although pinky mice don't have a long freezer life, furred mice last a good few months if well-packaged.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict how your snake will grow or when she will need to move on to bigger prey; all you can do is to keep weighing her, but I believe if they are growing fast, a good rule is to keep to the same size prey for at least three feeds before moving her on. She may not progress that fast; they are all different.

As for surplus prey - that is why the royal python god always provides us with a corn before the royal arrives ... your corn will recycle anything surplus to requirements.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000