The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Which hide?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
konrad1982 Posted - 15/05/2011 : 17:57:24
I've got a small problem with hides in my viv. I was using medium exo terra but it seems to be too small as the snake is about 400g already. The other hide is coconut shell. I also built really nice hide (wooden) but the snake seems not to like it and instead of go there he stays in that tiny coconut shell. How long should I let him stay there (it is already scratching his back) as he looks like an elephant in budgies cage? Maybe any idea or suggestions how to easy make a nice hide and how should normally snake react when I remove his old hides and replace them with the new one? Cheers.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
konrad1982 Posted - 16/05/2011 : 18:33:21
Cheers, it is too late now as the one made of plaster is drying already :) it looks not too bad and the final result should be satisfying (I hope so).
MrsA82 Posted - 15/05/2011 : 21:36:15
Or this ;)

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1041
konrad1982 Posted - 15/05/2011 : 21:08:52
That's what I needed, bowl or even flower pot + plaster - great idea. Everything cheap and I could make as many of them as I need. If you have got any proper plan how to make it could you please share. Cheers Lotabob
Lotabob Posted - 15/05/2011 : 20:55:21
I have a few small snakes that will grow into the different sizes so I'm happy enough to buy one of each, and pass them down as my fat royal outgrows them. Though I'm going to have to make my own for the Boa when she hits full size, maybe a washing up bowl upside down, will have to plaster&sand over it though, give it a natural look.
konrad1982 Posted - 15/05/2011 : 20:44:50
I was thinking the same but I made the coconut myself that's why is quite high, which let him go in. When I lift the coconut with the snake inside there is no room left and it is even impossible to get him out of there :) Medium exo terra is little bit bigger however after feeding I can see him really struggling to move inside. He can even barely go into the cave as the hole is tight that's why I recon it is too small (maybe I'm wrong - next time I will try to take a picture). I will probably have to do the same as you and stay with an exoterra however I'm thinking if I should get L one or jump straight to XL.
Lotabob Posted - 15/05/2011 : 20:16:07
The medium exoterra couldn't be too small if the snake is able to fit in a coconut hide. They are smaller than the small exoterra. Duke has only just moved out of his medium and he is 700+ grams and over 3 feet long. A coconut shell would make a trendy hat for him but he's be hard pushed to get anything but his head inside.

Exoterra's range of caves are nice looking and not too tall either, I bought Duke the large and he is happy enough in there because its got a very low ceiling so he feels he is crammed in. There are lots of natural looking hides out there I think Habba Huts are wooden half tree bark type things, not a fan myself as they aren't very heavy.
konrad1982 Posted - 15/05/2011 : 18:08:50
Cheers GMac. Thats good idea however I was thinking about something looking little bit more natural.I don't know why but I just couldn't put into my viv flower pots,trays or boxes.The only problem is - when I made great looking hie he doesn't like it at all.
GMac Posted - 15/05/2011 : 18:00:44
we changed our royals hides at great expense, we got seed trays from b and q cut them in half and woo 2 hides for about £1.50. The snakes didnt seem to mind as its just somewhere to hide.

As for the coconut hide if its scratching its back would replace it.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000