The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Zac's new rub (lots of pics )

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Laws Posted - 18/05/2011 : 14:19:22

So to get him feeding and to tick off all of the boxes of things we have tried , we got a smaller rub for him . and set up it all and put him in and he methodically checked every inch of it before going back into his warm hide with his nose poking out . one question this rub hasnt got feet at the bottom to give an air gap between the mat and the rub , so ive used blue tac to make feet will this be ok ?

heres some pics of him casing the place out :)

got a pic of him drinking

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laws Posted - 23/05/2011 : 12:32:02
To b honest I'm not sure , it didn't say I got it from the place we had him from as it was similar in size to wat he was used to
Lucy1012 Posted - 23/05/2011 : 10:53:05
what litre Rub is that Laws???
Laws Posted - 20/05/2011 : 00:06:45
theres one on preloved rite now , im wishing the time was rite else i wud have it now we have an empty viv , but its gonna cost a bomb to board our three as it is . but after our hols we can start looking more in depth . ppl have said get a common male and feed every 2-3 weeks , but i dont like the sound of that . i like dwarf pastel fusions , and i like the paler boas x
Lotabob Posted - 19/05/2011 : 18:55:42
Its a very sensible approach to Boas. They may be docile but they are also a large and very strong snake. Its great your taking your time to find the right one. Hoggs do get large, not very large but large to not just rush in and buy one. Its costing me about £200 to build a 6X2 vivarium for Sanke, its a massive vivarium but Boas like there space when they are bigger and I don't mind losing a good chunk of my living room to accomodate her.
Laws Posted - 19/05/2011 : 12:56:49
ive seen those , but they get fairly chunky i think and i have had to make a deal with the missus , so far she said i can have a crawl cay , im trying to find ppl that have adult boas that can let us handle a few , she said she doesnt wanna feel uncomfy etc .
MrsA82 Posted - 19/05/2011 : 12:47:55
Sound good for the royal

If I was going to get a boa I'd go for a hog island boa
As they go grow as big as some
Laws Posted - 19/05/2011 : 12:18:25
since we have moved him hes more active :) in his viv all u cud ever see was his nose poking out , but last nite even with me sitting on the sofa near the rub he pooped his head out and reached across to his water bowl and seemed fine . i had to come down for a drink in the nte and he was out aswel . this morning he had trashed the place . my missus said there was more condensation when she got up , shes wiped it and we will see if it comes back abit later , she said when she wiped it , zac came and inspected her hand , she thought he was gonna strike so many he getting hungry . he never used to pop his head out if u were messing in the viv :D
ive been researching boas like mad and dont kno what type to get now :( lol
STICKS Posted - 19/05/2011 : 08:11:09
H there Laws ref your rub.Like LB said cook your bark or i use kitchen roll you could give that 24 hrs see what happens and YES it,s Boa Time roll on sept hope you get it sorted D.
Laws Posted - 19/05/2011 : 00:43:56
i arent allowed one till after september , but then its def boa time ! i just havent got a clue which one to go for ! young , big , older , adpoted . i mean i cud get one now and put him in the viv its a 2.5 foot by 1.5 foot , but my OH wont let me as we gota pay boarding fee's for nearly 3 weeks for three snakes lol! but i am already trying to name the boa i dont have !
Lotabob Posted - 19/05/2011 : 00:21:33
BOA TIME!!! lol.
Laws Posted - 19/05/2011 : 00:13:14
well we weighed him and hes 178 grams so he hasnt lost that much from wen we had him on the 1 april , he was 208 but did a huuuuge poo, so im not as worried now , i just thought that a small rub may just do the trick . could be slightly too small he is pretty much the length and width of this rub and its packed out , but maybe its what he needs and if it works i can then get a little bit bigger rub for him . once again we have an empty viv , last time it was empty we got him , now its empty again im getting twitchy hehe x
Lotabob Posted - 18/05/2011 : 23:17:12
It will clear as it all settles down, Sanke's rub fogged up for a day but cleared after that. I'm sure that this should do the trick, I have my fingers crossed anyway, just give it a good few weeks and don't panic if it doesn't work instantly, they are quick to spook, slow to settle.
Laws Posted - 18/05/2011 : 23:03:46
Thanks :) he seemed nosey and out and about , I think after this it will be assist but at least we have tried everythin first :) I used half the old dry stuff with some of the new but still got condensation lol x
Lotabob Posted - 18/05/2011 : 20:20:57
You can take 50% of it and oven ddry tht, mix it with the moist stuff and you get condensation control but not too dry either. You've ticked all the boxes there I think, nice setup. Don't worry about air gaps, I think thats a habistat mat, they are fine with direct contact, your stat will keep it safe. You've done a good job, Zac will be very happy in his new house.
Laws Posted - 18/05/2011 : 19:44:10
Its the substrate I think as I use orchid bark , will dry it out abit xx
reptiledanny Posted - 18/05/2011 : 19:10:25
if its isting up like that it means the substrate is wet, or you have the water bowl over the heat mat. if it is the substrate then i would cook it in the oven to dry it all out, if it is the heat mat, then move the water bowl. if it is neither, then put more holes in the lid, i have holes going all the way round the rub and all the way round the top and i have no probs
Laws Posted - 18/05/2011 : 16:00:12
yup we are hpoinh its gona help , we may need to get the next size up , but gona see if it helps him feel more comfy to eat . only issue im having is it steaming up in there . its got 11 holes down the length of it both sides and i put 4 on the lid only small . what else can i do to stop it fogging up ? heres a pic....

STICKS Posted - 18/05/2011 : 15:54:09
Hi there Laws nice job i done the same with Abbey i put her in a smaller viv she is eating now.Ref to you having no gap i use drink coasters under my vivs and rubs seem to work fine just an idea se ya.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000