The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 I Cant Believe It!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rox1e6 Posted - 19/05/2011 : 22:39:16
We've had our little spider baby for 6days now and in that time struggled so hard to regulate the temp in her big 4' viv so we've ditched the dimming stat and bought a PP which we got going yesterday. She's moved around all 3 hides and spent today in the fake cave hide I made her in the cool side.

Anyway....after a very traumatic week for her moving from a tiny rub to a viv the size of New York we never in a million years thought she'd eat but as she was always fed on a Thursday in the reptile shop my son offered her a warmed up mouse in her fake cave tonight and she struck like a bullet first time and ate it with great delight!

We were all sat round like idiots trying to catch a glimpse of the tail gradually disappearing into the hide...we're so relieved, after realising they hate big spaces we were convinced we'd end up putting her in a rub and the viv would sit empty!

Just had to share our excitement...her first meal at home and after only 6days!
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rox1e6 Posted - 26/05/2011 : 08:54:31
We're working on him don't worry but we also have two bulldogs that
are the loves of my life so all my spare money goes on them!

We fed Charlotte (that is her name now til we find out what sex she is!) again last night. She was out of her hides and sat at the front of the viv by the glass quite relaxed so my son offered her the mouse there and she took it and ate it in full view of us...it was better than the telly for 20mins! :)
MrsA82 Posted - 24/05/2011 : 21:32:13
One is never enough

Something to work on ;) e
Rox1e6 Posted - 24/05/2011 : 20:43:31
I'm very tempted to get one of my own but my OH says one in the house is enough for now!
MrsA82 Posted - 24/05/2011 : 19:47:59
Sooooooo........when you getting your royal then rox ;)
Rox1e6 Posted - 24/05/2011 : 19:10:47
Thanks...we have filled the viv with cover and several hides and she really isnt stressed at all. She gets handled for 15mins every evening when he comes home from work and he just puts her down in the viv and she crawls round til she decides what hide she wants to go in....we've had no trying to find a way out up the sides or anything so its such a relief!
karl Posted - 24/05/2011 : 15:15:57
nicely done. proves that the viv size isn't the problem. Just incase anyone doesn't get this ROYALS ARE NOT AFRAID OF LARGE VIVS, they just like to have small hides and feel secure. Always amazes me that people think royals need tiny enclosures to reduce stress, no, they need enclosures that offer security and correct head gradients, the size is immaterial.

anyways, uber congrats, long may it continue. I WILL have a spider by the end of the year
sandi Posted - 22/05/2011 : 15:50:13
Very pretty!

She could maybe manage a small weaner rat at that size. Think they can be about 25grams so that would be a good meal for her.
Rox1e6 Posted - 22/05/2011 : 12:20:30
We weighed our spider today and she was 265g...she was born in sept '10 (apparently) so I'm hoping this is about average? My sons had her out a couple of times for short periods and she seems happy to just wrap herself up and down his arm, her head wobble is nowhere near as pronounced as when she was hungry a few days ago.
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2011 : 19:59:06
I think you'll be looking to get a rat fluff, they are about the same size as a large mouse. Whenever I go up a prey size I notice a big jump in weight and length too, they have a growth spurt so be ready for your diddy snake to get monster sized.
Rox1e6 Posted - 20/05/2011 : 18:15:30
Ahhh ok...gottit...I shall have a look next time I'm food shopping! Thanks :)
hodgie Posted - 20/05/2011 : 18:08:09
quote:
Originally posted by Rox1e6

She's on large mice at the mo cos she's only diddy :)

You can get little ones
Lotabob Posted - 20/05/2011 : 18:03:40
quote:
Originally posted by Rox1e6

More protein? Higher fat content? I'm curious

All of the above.

They are better for heavy bodied snakes mainly because mice run out of mouseness in size long before a rat does (or in normal not waffle terms, rats get much bigger). If you stay on mice an adult will need 2 or 3 in a sitting or just 1 rat so its cheaper.
Rox1e6 Posted - 20/05/2011 : 17:08:55
Just prob being thick but whats the difference between rats and mice (aside from the obvious lol) if she's on a large mouse whats the difference with being on a rat of the same size? More protein? Higher fat content? I'm curious
stumpy Posted - 20/05/2011 : 15:39:43
Congrats on feed, glad she doing ok. I agree with Hodgie get onto rats and you will the weight go on, cant wait to see pics.
Rox1e6 Posted - 20/05/2011 : 13:12:03
She's on large mice at the mo cos she's only diddy :)
hodgie Posted - 20/05/2011 : 12:30:50
Congrats, get her on the correct size rats and feed her every 5 days if she`s little.
MrsA82 Posted - 20/05/2011 : 11:11:24
spiders are known to be very good feeders :)

so glad she feed for you

just out of interested
did your spider come from hardwick reptiles
Rox1e6 Posted - 20/05/2011 : 09:33:10
Hiya....she (or he!) was born November last year, the shop had said she was a slow grower but we haven't weighed her yet as we didn't want to stress her out anymore than necessary when we bought her home. There's a pic in photo section showing her size but we're utter novice python keepers so just chuffed to bits she's ate!

We have a ceramic bulb and tbh the temp is much more stable with the pp it seems, the dimmer stat was brand new so hopefully not faulty but it just couldn't keep enough power to the 250w bulb. It was fine getting it to temp but then it seemed like there wasn't enough power going to heater unless we turned stat up to max otherwise the bulb would go cold? Obviously I realise it was prob our probe placement or something we were doing wrong but I was just worried about her fluctuating temps so just bought a PP instead!

But anyway....most importantly...SHE ATE! So she can't be that unhappy or stressed, and she's moved round the whole of the viv gradually and tried out all her hides, no weaving or trying to climb the walls so hopefully she's feeling ok!
Lotabob Posted - 19/05/2011 : 22:50:54
A dimmer is more accurate than a pulse (just) so it was either faulty or not set up right. My dimmer doesn't move from 32.0oC unless I open the door then it wiggles a little bit while it settles back down.

When you say baby, how small is she? Good thats she is eating, just keep an eye out for signs of stress in such a large vivarium.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000