The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Temperature help for newbie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
balsarcie Posted - 22/05/2011 : 23:08:08
I have recently set up a 3' Viv and would like some help with the temperatures.

I have read a lot about the gradient temperatures but i would like to know where exactly where i should place the probes? should it go within the hide at the warmer end or outside the hide but close to the heater?, i have a ceramic heat source with pulse thermostat and cage and a digital thermometer.

Any help would be appreciated
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
balsarcie Posted - 23/05/2011 : 10:55:32
Wow who would have thought it so complex lol

i have a 150w ceramic heater, i was told by the reptile store man that i should put the probe just above her hide, which is directly under the ceramic bulb and set it for around 88 degrees on the assumption that it would be closer to 90 degrees within the hide itself, if we are talking about a gradient temperature from one end to the other could i just fix the probes to the viv walls at each end?
Lotabob Posted - 22/05/2011 : 23:37:49
I had a good discussion about this with another member, have a read through and you can decide which of the 2 options you are more comfortable, I obviously will say my way is the way I'd reccommend. http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5791
markmifsud Posted - 22/05/2011 : 23:36:41
There are differing views, some say to probe near to the ground, near the heat source, personally I have my stat probe 6 inches from the bottom, near the center of the back wall. This ensures that I am getting an air temp reading and not a reading affected by the direct heat source. I do have exo temp gauges to give me an indication as to the hot and cool end temps, but I do also use an IR laser gauge to give me a more accurate reading. What size ceramic have you got? a 100w may struggle to keep the 90f hot end temps.

I had a 100w to start with, and it was never off, this would mean in the cooler months it would not have achieved the required temps so I now have a 150W which should ( i hope) be enough.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000