The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Royals v's Corns? Advice please?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyB Posted - 02/06/2011 : 09:48:30
Hi there,
I bought my first snake 10 days ago. He is a 3yr old carolina corn.
I was quite torn between corns and royals but decided to go with the most reccommended 'begginner/childrens' option as I was a little nervous, having never owned or even picked up a snake before! 10 days in and I am totally smitten and have definately caught the bug - I believe I actually went into some sort of withdrawal in the 48hr after feeding when I had to leave our snake alone!
So, I am already thinking about getting another snake and whilst I'd love another corn, I also am very tempted by a royal.... I researched the care differences and know about the feeding issues with royals but can anyone with any experience of both give me a better idea of how they both compare re:temperament and handling wise etc?

Thanks for any advice x
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelfezond Posted - 03/06/2011 : 22:19:36
Oh cool, colourblindness strikes again!
reptiledanny Posted - 03/06/2011 : 22:18:04
because a super mojave is a not pure white, i prefer them, but they have a greyish hue to them, and have grey heads
Kelfezond Posted - 03/06/2011 : 22:17:19
lol not quite. It was a super mojave, looks the same to me but apparently it's not considered a blue eyed lucy
Lotabob Posted - 03/06/2011 : 22:03:49
Fake? Bleach and contacts?
Kelfezond Posted - 03/06/2011 : 21:27:02
I was going to buy a "fake" blue eyed lucy not so long ago, but I got my pinstripe and mojo instead :P still a hard decision to make
emmaajayyne Posted - 03/06/2011 : 20:39:32
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I have my eye on getting a blue eyed leucistic (look them up, but dont say I didnt warn you)

OMG, I WANT ONE!!
stumpy Posted - 02/06/2011 : 13:30:15
Have both, feeding mine it is about the same if one eats the other one seems too, and they both have good temperaments. Good luck with working on the OH, mines just gone to I.O.M. words were dont fill that empty viv while i'm away, my reply was see whats on preloved
LucyB Posted - 02/06/2011 : 12:59:20
Lotabob..... too late I have already seen them - advertised as a Blue eyed Lucy - I've suggested to hubby that as we share a name it must be written in the stars that I have one, but it was a resounding ''NO''!!!

I love albinos though.... I'll keep working on it and hope that my husband caves in and gets me one for an anniversary pressent, but I would be just as happy with a normal wild type :)
Lotabob Posted - 02/06/2011 : 12:43:24
I love corns and royals, corns are quicker royals are stronger thats about the only difference I've noticed. As said before they are fussy feeders but not really problematic at all, they eat when they want to and they know best, once you get into that way of thinking they are a joy to own. And they are impressively chunky too.

I have my eye on getting a blue eyed leucistic (look them up, but dont say I didnt warn you) they are about £2000 though and i cant justify spending that amount of money when I'm not a breeder and dont plan breeding snakes either.
n/a Posted - 02/06/2011 : 11:49:20
Ah. Well, all the new hatchlings are up and coming I believe, but albinos aren't the cheapest of royals. However, you won't be satisfied with just one royal, believe me. You could always get a cheaper morph straight away, to satisfy the longing for a royal (you will fall in love with it; it won't be second-best.) Then you can start saving up for your albino.

ps, congrats on your corn - I have a 2 year old Carolina myself; they're magnificent - mine has just presented me with a 5' shed!
LucyB Posted - 02/06/2011 : 11:21:43
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Temperment wise royals and corns are on par i've had royals that do nothing but bite and i've had a corn do the same, in fact my corn was worse for a while lol, both are fine to handle on a daily basis though and in the end temperment is down to the snake itself and the owners persistence through aggression.

Royalss have a bad reputation with feeding but it's not a problem, it's just what they do. Going off their food is natural for a royal and they survive for month and months (years even as adults) without food, theu just don't need alot of food. It can be a pain when they are young and refuse but out of my 6 royals i've only even taken a month max to get on to take its first feed, after the first you're home dry.

Personally I think if you can care for a corn a royal won't be any more difficult it just depends if you like fat or thin snakes :)

Goodluck with your choice but beware if you get a royal you'll end up wanting a morph and that's an expensive game hehe

I want an albino u-oh!!!
Kelfezond Posted - 02/06/2011 : 11:03:56
Temperment wise royals and corns are on par i've had royals that do nothing but bite and i've had a corn do the same, in fact my corn was worse for a while lol, both are fine to handle on a daily basis though and in the end temperment is down to the snake itself and the owners persistence through aggression.

Royalss have a bad reputation with feeding but it's not a problem, it's just what they do. Going off their food is natural for a royal and they survive for month and months (years even as adults) without food, theu just don't need alot of food. It can be a pain when they are young and refuse but out of my 6 royals i've only even taken a month max to get on to take its first feed, after the first you're home dry.

Personally I think if you can care for a corn a royal won't be any more difficult it just depends if you like fat or thin snakes :)

Goodluck with your choice but beware if you get a royal you'll end up wanting a morph and that's an expensive game hehe
n/a Posted - 02/06/2011 : 11:03:09
Hi, and welcome to the forum. As you'll see from my sig, I'm biased when I say, have both!

When young, royals are easier to handle; young corns are much zippier - when older there's not too much difference in my experience. And they both have the same placid temperament on the whole, though there are always exceptions.

Both royals and corns are such lovely snakes - I've heard it said that they are the golden labradors of the pet snake world, and that about sums them up. Their popularity is well deserved. Plus, when it comes to appearance preferences, you can have just about whatever morph your heart desires, bank balance permitting.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000