The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 vivarium - any opinions?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyB Posted - 06/06/2011 : 12:54:42
http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/housing/vivariums/9632100002248

Hi, just wondering if anyone had any experience of these vivariums for royals or any opinions on their suitability as housing?

Any opinions appreciated! x
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
WendyBall Posted - 08/06/2011 : 21:08:26
I have got one of these for my Kenynan Sand Boa, nice looking, although the lid to open is the whole top, and the are no 'brackets' to hold it up when open. I would not want to keep my royal in it though, it is only 8 inches tall
LucyB Posted - 08/06/2011 : 08:08:12
[/quote]
Sorry, Lucy, don't mean to pull your idea to pieces - they are a very nice, stylish housing idea, but perhaps more suitable for small colubrids/geckos or other reptiles. Shame - with a few modifications to create something like a taller, top-opening viv with more privacy for a royal and greater scope for different heating methods, this could be a great alternative housing for royals ... hmm, anyone out there with good carpentry skills and a bit of ingenuity could be on to a winner, adapting this enclosure to something more suitable for royals??
[/quote]

Not at all..... I haven't even got my royal yet and my snake keeping experience is a whole 2 1/2 weeks of owning our corn - that's why everyones opinions are so valuable!!!
Lotabob Posted - 07/06/2011 : 19:48:27
Says insulated base projects heat INTO the terrarium. Sounds like thermal block perfect conditions to me. It does mention sliding mats in between glass, but don't exactly know how big the gap is and if its mat is too close to the glass its as good as on the mat directly.
n/a Posted - 07/06/2011 : 19:41:47
I gathered that there was an insulated base and a glass floor with a gap for the heatmat to be slotted in (correct me if I'm wrong) which ought to guard against thermal blocking (although I wouldn't be terribly happy with a glass floor, even with plenty of substrate.) Yeah, the height thing occurred to me - you get half the height of a conventional viv - basically, half a viv ...a royal bungalow ...they bung a lower roof on it ...

Sorry, Lucy, don't mean to pull your idea to pieces - they are a very nice, stylish housing idea, but perhaps more suitable for small colubrids/geckos or other reptiles. Shame - with a few modifications to create something like a taller, top-opening viv with more privacy for a royal and greater scope for different heating methods, this could be a great alternative housing for royals ... hmm, anyone out there with good carpentry skills and a bit of ingenuity could be on to a winner, adapting this enclosure to something more suitable for royals??
chay Posted - 07/06/2011 : 18:51:20
I agree they look good but both my royals do like to climb a lot at night mainly so wouldnt put mine in something like that, they are also the same price as vivs so dnt see the advantage tbh.
Kelfezond Posted - 07/06/2011 : 18:30:54
Very, very true
Lotabob Posted - 07/06/2011 : 18:26:59
Just realised no one mentioned the lighting/heating!

Royals and heat mats don't mix and by the looks of that, your limited as to what heating you use. I suppose you could use a reptile radiator but they are pricey and wouldn't get you a gradient. You would have to mount a heat lamp to the side and because there is little height it would be almost touching the ground. Probably a good setup for corn snakes and kings etc, any that can cope with a heat mat but our fatty Royals wouldn't be impressed.
prozacbear Posted - 07/06/2011 : 18:20:45
Given that my 'ground dwelling' Royal spends a lot of his time climbing around the branches on the top of his large Vivexotic viv, I don't think he would forgive me if I put him in that viv no matter how stylish it looked.
But since I only have experience of one Royal I can only comment on a sample size of one.
reptiledanny Posted - 06/06/2011 : 21:30:56
that was anatess, and yes it did look amazing with the plexiglass front
Lucy1012 Posted - 06/06/2011 : 21:01:27
they look nice, but size wise the large one offers no more ground space than a large rub, there is someone on here that has a fab rub set up and has placed a clear panel on the side of the rub for viewing...
n/a Posted - 06/06/2011 : 18:39:35
I like Blue Lizard, and have noticed these before; they're stylish but my main objections are limited size choice, and expense. Also a royal might feel insecure living under a clear glass ceiling unless it was covered. The lifting lid is nice, but you'd find the same facility in a rub - and some snakes can feel insecure about being approached from above ...one of my corns went from devil to angel after I moved her from rub to viv.

But mainly the expense ... I bought six flatpack vivexotic lx36" from Swellreptile for £48 something each...(delivery £4) and my lx24" was £35 something ...and if I can assemble flatpack, anyone can lol. Don't know what current prices are but I purchased my vivs earlier this year.

My opinion would be, especially if you want to stack, go for the conventional viv, but just my opinion.
Lotabob Posted - 06/06/2011 : 18:01:34
I saw these and thought about putting them on strong runners and having them as pull out drawers. The heavy duty runners from a filing cabinet should be strong enough when doubled up on each side but decided it would be far too expensive and just set about building a custom viv instead. They are nice looking though.
Kelfezond Posted - 06/06/2011 : 14:44:17
Guess you could do that if you want to move a vivarium every single day :P
LucyB Posted - 06/06/2011 : 14:39:29
By moving the top one??!!!
Kelfezond Posted - 06/06/2011 : 14:01:29
But they open from the top by the looks of it, how would you open the bottom viv?
LucyB Posted - 06/06/2011 : 13:07:51
Wondering if you could stack 2 of the same size safely? What do you think? Thought if the height of this was ok I could stack 2 in the space the one traditional viv would have taken up?!
Kelfezond Posted - 06/06/2011 : 13:04:29
Looks awesome, no experience with it though but it'd be nice to get more access instead of having to squeeze your arms through the front of a bloody 3ft vivarium :P

Just a shame they don't stack :(

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000