The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Male or Female?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyB Posted - 10/06/2011 : 09:23:37
I'm just wondering if there is any real difference temperament wise between the two? From all the research I've done the only difference I can find is that females are likely to grow larger.
Is there any real difference in personality between the two? One more docile for example? Or is it just down to the individual snake?
Thanks for any replies x
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 13/06/2011 : 12:17:11
quote:
Originally posted by karl

quote:
Saada, my cf08 female, weighed 450g at the end of May.

Really 450g for an 08? Or did you mean to write 1450?

Oops, I meant 09! (Will amend.) But no, the weight is correct. I got her last Nov via Preloved - owner moving to accommodation where she wasn't allowed. I think she is naturally on the small side, and, although it was clear she'd been very well looked after; he certainly hadn't stinted on her setup, which came with her, he'd got her from a local pet supermarket and followed their feeding instructions, which were a bit different to the feeding guides on here. (Absolutely NO criticism meant towards the owner - he was just doing what the shop had told him - been there, done that myself.) So she was on a medium weaner every fortnight ...she weighed just under 300g although still nice and chunky. I put her on to a small weaner every 5 days and she gained a nice bit of weight - until the Big Fast, when she only ate twice in 6 months and lost 40g (not too bad, I suppose.) Now she's eating again, and I hope to get her 'built up' this summer, bless her. She's a lovely little snake, and it's not as if I want to breed with her; she's just a pet.

But, yeah, she's small.
karl Posted - 13/06/2011 : 11:35:22
quote:
Saada, my cf08 female, weighed 450g at the end of May.

Really 450g for an 08? Or did you mean to write 1450?
n/a Posted - 10/06/2011 : 13:25:24
I find my male, Shahi, slightly more reserved, yet bolder in his feeding habits - downright imperious in fact. I think of him as being very 'male' (though very lovable) and the girls as being shy and gentle, but more amenable to being cuddled - or, in the case of Surahi, cuddling me; she likes to sleep coiled round my neck. Shahi likes to explore when he comes out.

BUT - is this notion of mine just because I THINK of them as 'male' and 'females'? Stereotyping them in fact! (A dreadful admission from an old feminist lol.) In truth, Shahi was only sexed as a hatchling by popping (spurs aren't always an accurate guide) and the two girls came to me as adults. I've no up-to-date proof that they are the sex I think they are ...

As for size, Shahi's latest weight (he's a cf10) is 860g, with only 1 meal inside him. Saada, my cf09 female, weighed 450g at the end of May.

Yeah, I too would be inclined to think that there's probably little difference in temperament, and also, whatever sex of snake you get, it will have its own personality - and they're all great!
Lotabob Posted - 10/06/2011 : 12:24:55
Size is about the only difference. There is a very very small chance of egg binding from infertile eggs in females but its so small its barely worth thinking about as most wont lay unless mated.
markmifsud Posted - 10/06/2011 : 10:49:04
Theres no difference in mine. I have a pair of young royals, and a pair of 5 year old royals.

In the younger pair, the female kicks up a fuss when I take her out to feed, or cuddle. The male on the other hand will come to the edge of the viv and lay his head on my hand. With my adults, the female is always ready to come out for a cuddle, and the male just lays around.
jhk2005 Posted - 10/06/2011 : 09:42:06
it really seems down to the individual. In the royals i've owned / met over the years, almost all have been lovely, laid-back snakes, occassionally a bit scared (if you get too near their head when handling)

then there's Vinnie.... my smallest one that thinks he's a dobermann guard dog?! I only gotta walk past his rub and he's trying to headbutt his way through it??? makes feeding and cleaning quite interesting but maybe he's got 'small snake syndrome'? the larger ones are all absolutely fine! :)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000