The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pennyp Posted - 12/06/2011 : 17:03:11
well im kind of new to all this and i got my first snake about 2 weeks ago she is a about 10 weeks old. i cant get her to feed i took her to my local reptile shop and they told me due to the price id payed for her that she is probley an import and that is why she wont eat, so they gave me a live to try. i tried this and that didnt work either so i took her back and they did a force feed i think, which worked but ive now tried to feed her again and she just wont have it. ive checked every thing possible to do with temp, humidity, enclosure size and that seems ok she has a nice snug hide and a big enough water bowl and she doesnt seem to have any visible symptoms of illness so any advice would be much appreciated.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pennyp Posted - 12/06/2011 : 22:00:34
quote:
Originally posted by MrsA82

Arhhhh bless so tiny
Rub looks ok thinking it's a 9l rub?

Wouldn't hurt if it was a 5l that's if it ain't

But honestly I wouldn't worry that he ain't fed for 2 weeks
Give him time and no touching just water changes
Monitor his weight on some digital scales after a failed feeding attempt say ever 10/15 days
And offer him food every 5 days if he don't take it don't put him under stress just pop him back till the next 5 days

Have a go dipping the mouse head in some very hot water for about 5-10 secs and dap the water off feed the mouses head to feel if its not to hot
and see if he takes it works wonders with some of my royals That didn't take the rats when I got them first of all

And last of all don't worry And don't get stressed
Royals can go a very long time without feeding weight monitoring is key
Good luck

cheers shes a little bit bigger than that now, gonna weigh her after next attempt to feed and will measure her too. will post on here to let everyine know how she is doing.

thanks you have been a great help
MrsA82 Posted - 12/06/2011 : 21:51:39
Arhhhh bless so tiny
Rub looks ok thinking it's a 9l rub?

Wouldn't hurt if it was a 5l that's if it ain't

But honestly I wouldn't worry that he ain't fed for 2 weeks
Give him time and no touching just water changes
Monitor his weight on some digital scales after a failed feeding attempt say ever 10/15 days
And offer him food every 5 days if he don't take it don't put him under stress just pop him back till the next 5 days

Have a go dipping the mouse head in some very hot water for about 5-10 secs and dap the water off feed the mouses head to feel if its not to hot
and see if he takes it works wonders with some of my royals That didn't take the rats when I got them first of all

And last of all don't worry And don't get stressed
Royals can go a very long time without feeding weight monitoring is key
Good luck
pennyp Posted - 12/06/2011 : 21:30:50
hi heres some pics of my RUB and penny (she is about 18" long now) any comments would be grateful
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7044195&l=e659c48dfb&id=602424013

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7044179&l=f5ff554755&id=602424013

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7044203&l=622059c45b&id=602424013
pennyp Posted - 12/06/2011 : 21:13:15
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yes, as has been said above. By 'import' do you mean captive farmed (cf) which are royals hatched in April/May from wild eggs harvested in West Africa and exported to the UK US etc for the pet trade?

Usually these hatchlings are sold feeding on frozen/thawed rodents - feeding live is sometimes advocated as a last ditch feeding method, but after two weeks' not feeding in your snake's case, there's a long way to go before the 'last ditch' remedies.

I know exactly how you feel, because almost a year ago I fell in love with a small royal in a shop, and bought him. I'd done a bit of homework but not enough to know about 'captive farmed' - and he didn't eat for me at first. When I found out his history I was shocked. These little snakes have had a rough ride - imported, then passed from dealer to shop ...they need some time to settle in but by god it's stressful for us as first time royal owners too ...

Yes, just let her do her own thing. She'll settle in her own time as long as conditions are right, and when the time is right she'll feed for you.

My Shahi, as I call him, is now on XL weaners/small rats. Last week he tipped the scales at 860g. He is a most beautiful snake - but oh boy do I remember the sleepless nights! (Love him all the more for it lol.)

All the best - she'll get there.

hi, thanks for your encouragment its nice to know there are people about who you can get sound advice from

thanks
pennyp Posted - 12/06/2011 : 21:11:46
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

If she was only 8 weeks old when you got her then allowing for the first week for her to shed then providing she really is an import (sounds like more of a guess, I don't know how you'd be able to tell from price alone) then it doesn't allow much time for her to be somewhere settled and able to feed so its hardly surprising the poor thing isn't eating right now, its probably stressed to the high heavens. To suggest a live feed as a first attempt at something different is incredibly short sighted and could have potentially caused you more problems than it could solve.

I would suggest just keep things very quiet, dark and give her some time to settle, do your water changes very quickly and with minimum fuss and I would suggest on feeding day when changing the water just pop your defrosted rat on some kitchen roll or even in a second dish, and leave it overnight, don't tease feed, if it doesn't strike straight away its not likely to strike at all.

And just so you know and can ignore the shop advice (which I'd recommend doing) the order of feeding techniques is:

*tease feed
*Leave overnight
*Assist Feed
*Live feed
*Force feed

Hi how long would you recommend leaving her for to settle in?? She is in a room where there is no foot traffic. i don't handle her all of the time but the people i got her from used to do so everyday, could tis be why she isn't settling?

many thanks
pennyp Posted - 12/06/2011 : 21:08:07
quote:

What do you have him in ?
A vivarium or rub (really useful box / plastic box)

hi she is in a RUB... i was told this would be fine (Is it? )
pennyp Posted - 12/06/2011 : 21:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by karl

First thing first.

Breathe ;)

It's not uncommon for an imported royal to fast/fail to feed. The trick is merely finding it "button" so to speak.

First thing would be to weigh the youngster, you need to know where he is with regards weight.
Second, leave him be, apart from changing the water (which can be done twice a week without ANY issues) do not disturb him.
Third, tell us the exact temps you have, hot end, cold end
Fourth, what have you tried thus far, and how often.
Fifth, can you get a pic on here that shows your setup.

I used to buy import royals as I liked the challenge of getting them feeding. Some never thrive, though I have only lost one to not eating and one to parasites from about 30-35 I have had. Some take a few assist feeds to get them going. Some just need a bit of critical care in their water to start them off. The recipe never really changes much.

Hi (deep breath!) lol
Thans for the reply, have posted temps on here not sure how to get pics up yet. and what did you mean when you said critical care in thier water.

many thanks
MrsA82 Posted - 12/06/2011 : 20:20:31
What do you have him in ?
A vivarium or rub (really useful box / plastic box)
karl Posted - 12/06/2011 : 19:50:56
yeah, you have a cf royal.

It's gonna be a case of slowly slowly. Make sure it ain't loosing weight (significant weight)and take your time.
pennyp Posted - 12/06/2011 : 18:45:30
quote:

Royals are known to be fussy feeders and they will need time to settle in
My pinstripe didn't eat for 7 weeks after I got him now he ain't looked back since
One thing I like to do with the rat is dunk it's head in very hot water then wipe the water off and 9/10 times they will go for it and always get the rat on the head

I wouldn't worry to much just keep an eye on it's weight

How much did you paid for it
How old and the weight as of now
And age
What temp have you got him at
I take it your using a thermostat

hi thanks for your reply and your advise i paid 25 pound for her from my step daughters boyfreind who bought 10 of them for 220 i havent weighed her as soon as i do ill post it n here . i was told she is 10 weeks roughly ,her hot side is set on 90 and cold is in the 80 and yes i do have a thermostat many thanx
Lotabob Posted - 12/06/2011 : 18:09:36
If she was only 8 weeks old when you got her then allowing for the first week for her to shed then providing she really is an import (sounds like more of a guess, I don't know how you'd be able to tell from price alone) then it doesn't allow much time for her to be somewhere settled and able to feed so its hardly surprising the poor thing isn't eating right now, its probably stressed to the high heavens. To suggest a live feed as a first attempt at something different is incredibly short sighted and could have potentially caused you more problems than it could solve.

I would suggest just keep things very quiet, dark and give her some time to settle, do your water changes very quickly and with minimum fuss and I would suggest on feeding day when changing the water just pop your defrosted rat on some kitchen roll or even in a second dish, and leave it overnight, don't tease feed, if it doesn't strike straight away its not likely to strike at all.

And just so you know and can ignore the shop advice (which I'd recommend doing) the order of feeding techniques is:

*tease feed
*Leave overnight
*Assist Feed
*Live feed
*Force feed
n/a Posted - 12/06/2011 : 17:47:39
Yes, as has been said above. By 'import' do you mean captive farmed (cf) which are royals hatched in April/May from wild eggs harvested in West Africa and exported to the UK US etc for the pet trade?

Usually these hatchlings are sold feeding on frozen/thawed rodents - feeding live is sometimes advocated as a last ditch feeding method, but after two weeks' not feeding in your snake's case, there's a long way to go before the 'last ditch' remedies.

I know exactly how you feel, because almost a year ago I fell in love with a small royal in a shop, and bought him. I'd done a bit of homework but not enough to know about 'captive farmed' - and he didn't eat for me at first. When I found out his history I was shocked. These little snakes have had a rough ride - imported, then passed from dealer to shop ...they need some time to settle in but by god it's stressful for us as first time royal owners too ...

Yes, just let her do her own thing. She'll settle in her own time as long as conditions are right, and when the time is right she'll feed for you.

My Shahi, as I call him, is now on XL weaners/small rats. Last week he tipped the scales at 860g. He is a most beautiful snake - but oh boy do I remember the sleepless nights! (Love him all the more for it lol.)

All the best - she'll get there.
prozacbear Posted - 12/06/2011 : 17:32:44
Do you know the age of the snake? Do you have a feeding record?

The way I feed is to get the right size frozen rat and defrost overnight in the fridge. I then put it in a sandwich bag and put the bag in very hot, almost boiling water for about 5 mins. I then hold the rat by tongs on the rats shoulder and gently wiggle the rat just in front (not touching) of the snake. Sometime I gently blow the rat smell towards the snake. I try this for a couple of minutes, if the snake does not strike and shows no interest then I put the rat on the floor of the viv and leave the two of them alone together. Possibly even overnight.
I've never had to do more than this to for them to feed, if they don't feed then I just try again a week later.

Although I've always bought snakes already feeding so have had an easy time of it.
karl Posted - 12/06/2011 : 17:24:22
First thing first.

Breathe ;)

It's not uncommon for an imported royal to fast/fail to feed. The trick is merely finding it "button" so to speak.

First thing would be to weigh the youngster, you need to know where he is with regards weight.
Second, leave him be, apart from changing the water (which can be done twice a week without ANY issues) do not disturb him.
Third, tell us the exact temps you have, hot end, cold end
Fourth, what have you tried thus far, and how often.
Fifth, can you get a pic on here that shows your setup.

I used to buy import royals as I liked the challenge of getting them feeding. Some never thrive, though I have only lost one to not eating and one to parasites from about 30-35 I have had. Some take a few assist feeds to get them going. Some just need a bit of critical care in their water to start them off. The recipe never really changes much.
MrsA82 Posted - 12/06/2011 : 17:23:37
Royals are known to be fussy feeders and they will need time to settle in
My pinstripe didn't eat for 7 weeks after I got him now he ain't looked back since
One thing I like to do with the rat is dunk it's head in very hot water then wipe the water off and 9/10 times they will go for it and always get the rat on the head

I wouldn't worry to much just keep an eye on it's weight

How much did you paid for it
How old and the weight as of now
And age
What temp have you got him at
I take it your using a thermostat

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000