The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 shedding??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alex Posted - 05/07/2011 : 18:42:40
hi ive had my baby royal about 4 weeks and he has not shed yet! i noticed a few weeks ago some of the skin on his head looked a bit dry! ive put a humidity hide in for him today wich he has not used yet but he keeps rubbing against things and making gasping noises! i have never heard him do this before.there have also been no signs of grey eyes or pink skin etc please help! is it normal for them to make breathing noises if he is shedding??
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tawfik47 Posted - 06/07/2011 : 09:54:34
Blitz shed without any sign, or it's me who didn't notice
But really, i didn't saw his eyes going blue nor his colors getting foggy !! the next day i found shed skin in one piece !! they can surprise u some times .
alex Posted - 06/07/2011 : 07:06:50
morning all just checked on the little guy this morning and he has stopped making the whistling noise and banging his head. but he is fast asleep and no sign of him shedding his skin! how long does it normally take them to shed the skin was they have started rubbing against things?
n/a Posted - 05/07/2011 : 20:08:17
Well, they can always surprise you, no matter how well you observe them. If he's been new and in his hide a lot (mind you that can be normal behaviour for a royal all the time lol) could be that he's been in blue and cleared and kept stum about it, bless him. But as others have said, RI can't be ruled out just yet - hope it is just shedding though. All the best.
alex Posted - 05/07/2011 : 19:25:24
hi he has eaten really well once a week staight away!just seems strange if he is shedding that i would have missed his eyes going blue? so do you all think the noise may be down to shedding? many thanks
hodgie Posted - 05/07/2011 : 19:19:10
Snakes only shed when they need to, basically as they grow, as already said there is no time limit for this.
How many times in the 4 weeks has he fed,
You`ll notice when he goes into shed because you wont see him, he`ll be hiding away 24/7 for around a week.
Robert Posted - 05/07/2011 : 19:16:11
Humidity sounds fine alex especially as he is going into shed and the wheezy noise could be dry skin near his nose as you have had hom only 4 weeks its hard for you to know if this is normal, just keep the moist hide in there and keep a close eye on him for a few days and see if he sheds and the wheezing stops
alex Posted - 05/07/2011 : 18:59:38
ok thanks havent got a camera handy. just seems odd i had him out a hour ago he was fine then put the moss hide in for him and now he wont stop making the weird noise!! have read about RI s but he has always been fine. lets just hope he is starting to shed! he has the right temp and humidity was slightly low about 55 so i thought i would add the hyde.
n/a Posted - 05/07/2011 : 18:55:17
Could it be he's actually going into shed if he's rubbing against things? Does he seem to be working away at the viv wall etc with his nose? Good luck.
Lotabob Posted - 05/07/2011 : 18:52:09
Was just about to say overlapped too, its all good the message was the same, lol.
Kelfezond Posted - 05/07/2011 : 18:50:19
If he's coming into shed, and you mighyt have missed his blue phase, the breathing noises could be due to skin coming loose in his nose (which would explain rubbing himself on things too)

However if he doesn't start shedding soon it's possible he has a respiratory infection which will cause him to have trouble breathing.

Might want to wait and see what happens if there is still no sign of shedding in a few days might be worth a vet trip to check his throat. Wouldnt panic though R.I is treatable and is quite common, will just require a viv clean up with some disinfectant and a trip to the vets for medicine.

Edit: sorry bob, overlapped
Lotabob Posted - 05/07/2011 : 18:49:54
There is occasionally some whistly wheezy nostril noises associated with shedding though I've never had that joy myself. Do you know what the humidity is in the enclosure, as wheezing and gasping are also signs of respiritory infections, is the snake breathing through its mouth (unusual) or nose (normal)?

As to shedding, they shed whenever they are ready to, there is no schedule, you won't miss a normal colouration royal going blue, they go very dusty looking, pink belly, very blue eyes too, as to dry head, it may be retained shed from the last shed, this may also be in the nostrils causing the noisy breathing. A picture would be grand at this point to see what your working with.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000