The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 new rub - help plz!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
acd1984 Posted - 16/07/2011 : 16:44:33
Hi guys and girls, I put my lil george in a new rub last night, with plenty of ventilation but also fresh bark. And thats where the problem lies, the humidity is at about 80%, the walls are covered in condensation!

I dont want to drill any more holes because i dont want the temp to drop.

any advise plz? or should i just wait till the bark dries out a bit?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jhk2005 Posted - 17/07/2011 : 12:58:35
how bigs your rub bigdon? I tend to find 20 holes in each end of a 5L and 24 in each of a 9L works grand without lowering the temp. If i do see any dampness its usually when they've pooped or taken a midnight bath, or if i've done what BATS did and put the water bowl over the hot end, lol! :D
acd1984 Posted - 16/07/2011 : 19:14:15
Ok thanks guys
Lotabob Posted - 16/07/2011 : 17:52:17
Its the condensation thats the problem rather than ther humidity, Royals cope quite well with high humidty what they dont cope so well with is constantly been on wet surfaces, can cause scale rot, to avoid too much fuss scoop out about 50% of the bark stick it on a clean baking tray lined with tin foil to avoid a big cleaning job and bake it at 150oC for about 20-30 minutes going in and shuffling it a few times so it all gets a good air at the same time. Then let it cool and mix it with the stuff still in the rub, the dry stuff will soak up some of the moisture from the wet stuff and balance it out a bit. It does work, been doing it with my bark and works perfectly.
acd1984 Posted - 16/07/2011 : 17:49:03
Yeah your right, it is a pain, although the walls are just misty not running.

Im gonna replace the bark with aspen (in the warm side only)

i read that cooking the bark doesnt really help and im looking for a quick fix (isnt everyone?!)
n/a Posted - 16/07/2011 : 17:31:25
I've never used a hygrometer; modern technology hates me and I'm a coward lol. But if the walls are running, I wouldn't be happy with that myself.

All the best.
acd1984 Posted - 16/07/2011 : 17:28:41
Thanks guys

I should of added that the hygrometer im using is analogue (so its a rough guess)

Its a real pain cause when he was in a faun, it was impossible to raise the humidity enough.

quote:
It is said that high humidity isn't a problem for royals, though; there's a bit of differing opinion on this. But that's what I'd do.

Il do some research and if the above is correct then i wont worry about it too much, the book i have implies high humidity is not a big problem.

Im just cautious about RI more than anything.
n/a Posted - 16/07/2011 : 17:19:01
Does sound like the bark. I should take it out and dry it in a slow oven for an hour or two, as Kelf said(replace with kitchen roll temporarily.) And make sure the water bowl's in the cool end and not too large; I've been keeping my smallest corn in a temporary rub, just while her eating got back to normal, and I accidentally put her tiny water bowl in the warm end ...oops!

It is said that high humidity isn't a problem for royals, though; there's a bit of differing opinion on this. But that's what I'd do. Good luck.
Kelfezond Posted - 16/07/2011 : 17:15:28
I believe you can put bark in the oven for a while to dry it out before putting it in a rub or viv

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000