The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 try an convince my dad...........

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pythonwizard Posted - 17/07/2011 : 22:18:20
i am trying to convince my dad to let me get a boa

but he thinks they are to big bu i would love to get one of kelf
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SaltyTurtle Posted - 01/08/2011 : 19:45:21
Well Jono, I bet you never expected to see that little blighter again, after he did one!

3 months in the wild, survived normal ambient British weather, AND put on weight!

Makes me feel a bit foolish having a whole thread going on here based on my stressing over heating methods, housing types, ambients, hot spots etc. I bet if we turned the whole lot off and opened the lids they'd all thrive! lol

I suppose we all read care sheets and the 'wisdom' that is passed down is taken as gospel & adhered to by most to the absolute letter of the law. In fact in nature there must be HUGE variances in temperature, cover, humidity and a host of other factors day to day, and yet the snakes outlived the dinosuars, so they must be pretty hardy.
jhk2005 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 17:06:47
btw, getting back on track... hows things with you aaron? have you reached an agreement with your dad yet? :)
jhk2005 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 14:41:07
hehe! this reminds me of my old kingsnake I had when I was 16 ; she was a madame for escaping!

thankfully she never made it out of my bedroom but I found her behind my wardrobe, in my pillowcase, under my bed and up on the shelf where I kept my models

I have her to thank for teaching me converted aquaria are no good for snakes like her and learning how to build my first viv... ah the joys!
jonoandapril Posted - 01/08/2011 : 13:12:12
true, might not eat the kid, but it'd be a bit more of a shock with a boa than a little corn! lol
n/a Posted - 01/08/2011 : 11:36:08
Hey up, Kelf, you winding us up again?
Kelfezond Posted - 01/08/2011 : 09:36:44
Why would it be bad times if it were a boa? Boa's don't hunt or eat children, wordse case scenario a puppy or kitten goes missing :p
jonoandapril Posted - 01/08/2011 : 07:52:29
your right, Saltyturtle. iv been overseas for about 4 1/2 months now and shes managed to loose one of my flipping corns! found it about 5 days/ a week ago tho, 2 doors down in some kids garden play set! 3 months in the wild. apparently shes not fared badly at all tho and has gained weight!! emagine if that had been a boa or something tho... bad times.
Laws Posted - 31/07/2011 : 13:44:33
i did months of research before getting a boa and i decided to go down the dwarf route . we went to a pet store and held a two year old that was around the 4.5 foot mark , this had another 2 years of growing in him and the muscle he had already was phenominal . so i then began looking down the route of crawl cays and other dwarfs . i wanted something that we could handle on our own , and something that would stay slender . so then i narrowed it down to a male . we then went over to see gaz boas in wales and handled adult male crawl cays and thought they were perfect , topping out around 4.5 -5 foot . we got a 2 year old and hes around 2.5 foot now .
Our next purchase was a dwarf female pastel . the seller had said she was an 09 around 2 foot , so we decided to get her , however when we got her home she was jut over 3 foot and shes a fairly big girl if u have seen some of the pics of her . We both are so careful when we handle her as shes very strong and grips on when u move her .
No matter what type of snake u go for , do lots of research , i did every nite for around 2 months etc . make sure u have the room for when it growns (i went into a pet store and they had baby salmon boas , tiny! but they grow!) the funds to upgrade their vivs , the availability of food and the cost of feeding a large snake , the fact they can live 20-30 years .

No one is trying to put u off by any means , its just common boas are very very powerful snakes . when lexi has got one on her and doesnt wanna go in her rub we have a battle of the wills and shes 3 foot , im sure if she was 8 foot she would win hands down . Take a look at crawl cay boas , i really do highly reccomend them .
SaltyTurtle Posted - 31/07/2011 : 13:24:40
Yes Jonoandapril, and since you're a Royal Marine (not a type of snake ) I suppose if you got posted overseas your poor wife would have to change water etc on her own, which I suspect is highly unadvisable!

It's been a bit of an eye opener for me reading this thread, since I nearly went for a Boa instead of my Royal P.

Blimmin glad I didn't now, as the power of my 3 month old sprat Percy is completely disproportionate to his size when he squeezes my wrist. It's like those things that take your blood pressure readings, but thinner!

I think the longevity (life span) of the animal is a huge consideration, often overlooked in the 'red mist' of desire to own something. People think a dog's a big commitment but that's probably only going to live HALF the length of time of a snake.

My fiance was dead against having a snake in the house, and I had to de-sensitise her by taking her to an experienced shop where she could hold a few, starting with baby corns (the size of those sweets you can buy) which were hyper and cheeky, then a boa (tiny weeny baby) and then the Royal, which is what WE went for as the docile nature and propensity to sit still (sit?) was appealing.

Basically I had to show her that there is enjoyment to be had by experiencing such fascinating creatures, and that there was nothing to be scared of, rationally speaking, as long as we picked the right type of snake and were fairly well informed before making that decision.

Having said that, when I was 14 nobody could tell me ANYTHING and I went out and bought a 200cc Kawasaki (MOT failure) with my paper round money against my parents final word on the matter. So I am now taking the opportunity to be a hypocrite, like all us 'oldies' become, lol!
jonoandapril Posted - 31/07/2011 : 08:00:26
i know how you feel dude, id love a boa. tbh tho i wouldnt trust myself not to handle it on my own so i havent let myslef get one. plus with a 2 yr old in my house if it got out there would be some serious problems. sometimes you just have to let the dream snake go for a little while mate. my mrs wanted a carpet python, but shes had to give up on that for now for the same reason.
sandi Posted - 18/07/2011 : 19:55:40
Some good points been made here but i would like to make another. A Boa can live well in excess of 20 years and in your teens you are unlikely to know where you are going to be in the future so for the sake of the snake, consider the long term plan. If your parents are prepared to take responsibility then ok, if not then who?

On the size front, I have a nearly 6 ft male BCI, he is flipping strong! I will be only handling in company when he gets over 6ft. Thats the house rule! I would recommend the dwarf types to anyone else.

Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2011 : 16:18:00
Also- not sure where you live but if you're close to me you and your dad are welcome to pop along and give Pandora some cuddles, see what you think about handling a biggie :)
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2011 : 16:12:22
I think as long as you're supervised doing everything (even things like changing water when the snakes on the other side of the viv) then you're fine.

Accidents happen when people aren't careful and as long as you don't attempt anything alone until you're at least 18 years old (and even then make sure you're very safe) I'm 21 and strong enough and yet I still struggle getting Pandora off me, I never let her go around my neck which is easily accomplished by moving my hand onto my chin whenever she comes by my neck which pretty much eliminated any severe risk but she can still get stuck on my body or my arms and I need a second just to help lift her off me, not doing any harm but it can be bloody irritating trying to manipulate a snake who is busy ignoring you hehe.

Long story short if you get your dad's permission and he agrees to help you when the snake grows every single time the snake needs interaction then I don't see why you shouldn't get a big snake, it's all about common sense and safety.
reptiledanny Posted - 18/07/2011 : 15:53:28
at think at 14 your dad is right, i think imho you best going for a dwarf boa
dont think with your heart, think with your head
im 16, and wanted a boa, my heart was telling me to get a nice albino male, but unfortunatly the only albinos you can get are normal bci boas, which even a male has the potential to get to 6ft and be very very strong
i chose the option of going down the dwarf boa route thanks a good friend near me who goes by the name scubadude on here
he helped me out so much with my decision, and within a week me and him both went a bought two female hog island boas from the same breeder i am so glad that i did, as honestly i think it would have been wrong of me to get a normal bci boa. in the future i plan too, but atm especially living in my parents house, it would have been a mistake
just my thoughts
jhk2005 Posted - 18/07/2011 : 15:18:36
I managed to talk my mum & dad into letting me get my first burm when I was 16 but I was only allowed to handle him if my dad was home from work because of potential accidents ; and they kept the keys so if I needed to feed him/change his heater/water etc there would always be at least one of them there with me ; it frustrated me at the time but I accept they did it to keep me safe.

Believe me I understand where you're coming from - I wanted a burm so bad I ached, maybe you could get one as a 'shared' pet between the two of you and he could help with handling etc? Lotatbob is completely right in what he's saying - it's not how strong you are, it's how strong your snake is by comparison...

I still won't handle Kane on my own and i've had him since he was 6mths old. The strength he has is phenomenal and if he were to make a loop round my neck or waist, he could put enough pressure on me that just by 'holding on' to make himself feel safe I be passed out on the floor before I knew what hit me...

I'm not trying to be a killjoy Aaron, but maybe you could also persuade him by going for a dwarf species/breed? I've seen some lovely ones that only get to about 6ft maximum? The berry-bloods are goregeous but pretty expensive ; but there's other types that would get to the same sort of size and might just help you talk your dad round
Kelfezond Posted - 18/07/2011 : 00:34:08
Which is convenient since most people lay down when they pass out ^^

As long as you don't live alone Aarone it's perfectly safe to have a boa, even if the people around you aren't mad about snakes like we are, my dad is afraid of snakes and my mother isn't too keen on them but I know if I needed help in a rare case they'd obviously help me out, my girlfriend is tiny and weak but together me and her can handle Pandora when she is being difficult.

Besides males are alot thinner and don't get quite as hard to manage as the females, perhaps a male might change your dads mind?
Lotabob Posted - 17/07/2011 : 22:37:17
I would love to get one too but they are too big. I live alone and it would not be safe for me to handle a snake of that size on my own no matter how small the chances of an incident I am not Physically strong enough to overpower a fully grown Boa, and that doesn't make me weak and small, i'm 6'4" and 16 stone with not a pick of fat on me, Boas are STRONG very very strong. That is why it is recommended to have someone on standby should anything occur. And its not the risk of been eaten, that doesn't exist, humans are not on the Boa menu what is the risk is the snake holding onto you maybe getting around your neck or head, you go to move them without supporting them in another way they are going to grip on like theres no tomorrow. The easiest way to get one off of you by the way is to lay down, its on the ground then so has no reason to grip you and far more likely to let go.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000