The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 messy shed??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alex Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:22:23
hi everyone monty is having his first shed with me, he has gone into blue and his eyes have cleared ok.but i noticed today he has started to peel and has done a huge no 2 lol. He looks a real mess at the moment does this mean that he will need some assistance with his shed or will he get it off himself in the next 24 hrs?. he has a damp hide but has not used it yet. so im a bit confused if he is about to shed or has failed to shed.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 25/07/2011 : 18:38:48
Good news!
Adding some damp cloths to the viv can raise humidity and will help with shedding. I use theose micro fibre type cloths as they hold moisture well. Good luck with the next shed!
n/a Posted - 23/07/2011 : 22:41:23
Oh cool - that's great - was wondering how you and he had got on. Congrats!! (Yeah I'd be lost without TRP too!)
alex Posted - 23/07/2011 : 22:36:03
hi just a update on monty he has spent all afternoon in a old sweet tub full of moss and all the skin is off! he looks like a fresh new snake! cant believe the way he now looks compared to a few hours ago. I think for his next shed i will move his normal hide and replace it with a damp one, as this time round he did not seem interested in his damp hide lol. that way he will have to use his humidity hide. once again thanks for or your advice and thoughts, it really is great to have help so close at hand. I think i would now be lost with out this forum.
Lotabob Posted - 23/07/2011 : 18:30:35
Duke always looks in a bad way just before he sheds, he goes really grey and crispy, I raise the humidity up to 80% and it makes no difference but he always sheds in one piece, well one piece but ripped all over the place.

My corn has had a few rubbish sheds recently, maybe its the weather.
sandi Posted - 23/07/2011 : 17:13:42
My boa had a tiny piece of loose skin on him, as if it were a bit of stuck shed, he was due to shed so i wasnt concerned. He shed the next day but for the first time it wasnt in one piece.

My royal had a very bad shed a couple of weeks ago, she was covered in stuck skin so i had her crawl through warm, wet towels which got it all off quite easily although it was a long process.
n/a Posted - 22/07/2011 : 19:11:08
I've never seen this though with Saffron (corn) I've often seen loose scales. But I have heard of scruffiness and peeling before shed. I think, keep up the humidity (water bowl in hot end; some people put damp flannels over hot hide, moss hide as you've done) and he'll get there. Good luck!

Amendment - re-reading your first post - could be he's had a go at shedding and hasn't quite got there - I remember Shahi as a young snake looking very shabby after an attempted shed ...if he's no different tomorrow, I would try the pillowcase - it will do no harm.
alex Posted - 22/07/2011 : 19:05:34
i think snakes are strange but not stupid lol. so with regards to monty is it normal to peel a bit just before he sheds completely?
n/a Posted - 22/07/2011 : 18:50:40
Nope. Anyone or anysnake who is bats is not stupid!

ps Alex, a royal in shed isn't fierce - my Ziska is a pituophis, a gopher, and erm, volatile at the best of times (though she only tastes me usually lol!) I had to check her progress with regard to feeding and had to pick her up out of deep aspen and took pic quickly
Kelfezond Posted - 22/07/2011 : 18:43:37
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake
people who are mentally ill are not stupid, honest ...

But snakes who are mentally ill are :p
n/a Posted - 22/07/2011 : 18:35:30
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Yeah it's quite amazing, when I was selling my baby boas to somebody I remmeber saying 'that is their mother there ..... Rubbing her head upside down on the floor? ... Bloody idiot' looked like she was the stupidest snake in the world, moments later I realized she was shedding and not mentally ill lol.

Erm sorry to hijack the thread a little, but people who are mentally ill are not stupid, honest ...

She's blue again, and she's FIERCE!! HAAAAAAHHHH!! Coming to get ya!!

Kelfezond Posted - 22/07/2011 : 18:16:05
Yeah it's quite amazing, when I was selling my baby boas to somebody I remmeber saying 'that is their mother there ..... Rubbing her head upside down on the floor? ... Bloody idiot' looked like she was the stupidest snake in the world, moments later I realized she was shedding and not mentally ill lol.
n/a Posted - 22/07/2011 : 18:13:53
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Probably starting to shed, you can't really tell all you can do is wait.

The pillowcase is a good one, I took diablo to a school today with some other snakes, he was pre-shed when I put him in the case (not wet though, just filled with paper) and had fully shed in one piece by the time I took him out to show the kids, was amazed hehe.

Aw bless - when Ziska was couriered to me, she arrived having shed in a cricket box with just a piece of kitchen roll - amazing how they can remove that skin with little to scrape themselves on!
Kelfezond Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:54:08
Probably starting to shed, you can't really tell all you can do is wait.

The pillowcase is a good one, I took diablo to a school today with some other snakes, he was pre-shed when I put him in the case (not wet though, just filled with paper) and had fully shed in one piece by the time I took him out to show the kids, was amazed hehe.
alex Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:50:08
ok cool thanks, the biggest issue at the moment is though im not sure if he has had a bad shed or is about to shed he is just asleep in his hide but like i say the skin is starting to peel in patches on his body.
n/a Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:46:21
Yes, as Kelf says - keep an eye on him but if he seems to be struggling give him a bit of a hand. His water bowl in the hot end will raise humidity too. Another thing you can do is, if he tries to shed and there is a lot of skin remaining, wet a pillowcase, put him in it, tie the top and leave him in a ventilated rub for 30 mins, supervised, in a warm room or place. He'll squirm around and the damp and friction of his movement will gently dislodge a lot of skin. It's the eyecaps and tailtip that matter - a bit in between doesn't matter so much, though it would be better if it came off.

Good luck!
Kelfezond Posted - 22/07/2011 : 17:30:41
I'd give him a while, if all else fails a short bath has never hurt any of mine and always helps

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000