The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Quick advice - trixie asta house

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
acd1984 Posted - 25/07/2011 : 21:11:24
Hi guys just bought this for my royal, is it safe to use as the wood kind of looks like pine, but the description on surrey pet supplies and the label dont have any information

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/trixie-asta-house.html item in question

thanks guys in advance
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jonoandapril Posted - 31/07/2011 : 07:45:45
out of all the pets iv had (quite a diverse list) hammies have deffinatly been the most bitey. its like they have something to prove! lol
anatess Posted - 29/07/2011 : 18:46:06
Hey hey... I love my hamsters! They're all in hamster heaven now but I still remember our good times. I haven't been bit by one but my son has and yes, that bled a lot more than the snake bite.

They don't live too long though. Kinda the same lifespan as the beta fish.
n/a Posted - 29/07/2011 : 17:39:16
Yeah - the plastic trixie hides are great and very cheap - I'd use those and a piece of steam-blasted mopani root. I also make my own salt dough hides - see DIY section - very cheap and good.

LOL - you will have to buy a hamster!

ps - has been proved that when royals are fasting, put a hamster in its cage within view of royal - and smell and sight of hammy can sometimes kick start faddy royal and get juices flowing so that royal noms down on f/t rat .... Hammys can be nice pets, if a trifle savage - snake bites are nothing by comparison ...aversion therapy by hammy??
Evolution Morphs Posted - 29/07/2011 : 15:16:01
id just buy a proper hide rather than take a chance
its just not worth it
anatess Posted - 29/07/2011 : 15:05:01
quote:
Originally posted by bigdon23

Update

Dear Andrew,

We refer to your email and would like to inform you that our wood houses are made of chinese pine wood.

The wood is absolutely nontoxic and we also do not use any chemicals

With best regards.

Your TRIXIE - Team

still not convinced

Technically speaking - "Your Trixie Team" is right. The wood is absolutely nontoxic. It's the oils present in the wood that may be toxic. These oils, when the pine is properly heat-dried, will burn off. But, they didn't say if they did that or not.

There are a lot of products out there. If it's for shedding, you can just go with any non-smooth surfaces.
acd1984 Posted - 29/07/2011 : 13:08:24
Update

Dear Andrew,

We refer to your email and would like to inform you that our wood houses are made of chinese pine wood.

The wood is absolutely nontoxic and we also do not use any chemicals

With best regards.

Your TRIXIE - Team

still not convinced
n/a Posted - 26/07/2011 : 20:12:05
It's amazing what they do shed in. My Surahi always leaves a shed inside her plastic hide. It's light as well, and smooth inside - nothing, you'd think, for a snake to brace or scrape against, and she's 1280g. Ziska, while in transit with the courier from the shop, amused herself by shedding in a cricket box with a sheet of kitchen roll. I try to give every snake a heavy piece of mopani root or log, and do they use it? Nah, I see the awkward little gits nuzzling against the viv side. Snakes have no sense lol!
acd1984 Posted - 26/07/2011 : 19:49:38
Thanks anatess, i think it will be treated and therefore safe, but im waiting to hear back from surrey pet supplies.

The only reason im really keen on getting it in is because it would be great for shedding, where as the resin caves are quite smooth
anatess Posted - 26/07/2011 : 14:21:55
I use Kiln-Dried Pine for my rat bedding.

Pine is not harmful if it is heat-treated. And, most, if not all, natural wood pet accessories out in the market today, are heat treated.
http://buckysbunnies.tripod.com/Pine.html

Hope this helps.
acd1984 Posted - 25/07/2011 : 22:54:47
Yeah il contact them tomorrow, i knew that certain woods i.e pine and cedar are bad for snakes but since it didnt have a discription and it was in the reptile section, i though it would be either a safe wood or faux wood ect
n/a Posted - 25/07/2011 : 22:16:58
Ha - it certainly is!

You could try ringing them to find out what kind of wood it is.

Or you could give it 3 coats of low-emission varnish, then leave for three weeks to cure, which is what we're supposed to do with the salt dough hides (see DIY thread on how to make a hide.) A lot of messing about though ...
acd1984 Posted - 25/07/2011 : 21:53:20
i didnt know it was for rodents until i unpacked it and it is listed in the reptile section which is naughty of SPS.
n/a Posted - 25/07/2011 : 21:50:23
Hi, I've used those rodent gnawable logs for my corns before I read that natural wood, if it was pine, wasn't good for snakes. The corns loved them and were fine ...but ...I wouldn't use wooden rodent products for snakes again, just to be on the safe side (but someone may know more and be able to reassure you that it's safe.)

Sorry I can't help more ...is there a deserving hamster you could donate it to?
acd1984 Posted - 25/07/2011 : 21:41:36
Thanks D3lboys-Morphs for the info, hopefully someone will be along soon, probably like busses lol

Iv seen people use them (in pics ect) but dont kno if they were using them for royals or other snakes.
Evolution Morphs Posted - 25/07/2011 : 21:33:04
Product Description
'Asta' Rodent house, natural wood, 19 cm This wooden rodent home can be gnawed at because of untreated natural wood. Due to a constantly growing of the rodents' teeth items made of natural wood will help to reduce a regular cut of the teeth. Please check product regularly for bite marks and replace it when necessary. 'Asta' Rodent house, natural wood, 19 cm

That's what I found and it's natural wood and untreated

I'm sure others will be along soon to say if it's ok

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000